• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headlights flickering problem???

86ltrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was out playing last night on some old logging roads and had the strangest problem...after I got out of the woods and back on the road my headlights started flashing on and off all by themselves. It was so bad i had to pull over because I couldn't see. It was like someone was turning the lights on and off really fast. I got out while it was doing this and it was just the headlights, not the running lights. After 30 seconds or so it quit and was fine the rest of the night. Maybe the rough road shook something loose? Any ideas?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
What year truck? Was the flickering problem on lo beams only, or both hi and lo beams? Generally, the multifunction switch (hi/lo flasher, turn signals, etc.) is the weakest point in an RBV headlight circuit. Without more to go on, that's my first guess as to what caused your problem.

Last edited:

86ltrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its a 93 model, I swithced from high to low but it didn't change anything. I was thinking it maybe in my turn signal/headlight switch? Is that switch down by the pedals, or actually in the column?

Jon Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the same thing i've gone through.

try getting a new dash switch, i don't think it's really the problem. i've just noticed changing the switch works (for a while anyway) the 84 has gone through 3-4 switches, 93 has had 2-3, and the 91 (newest truck) is on it's 2nd one.

i've had this problem with all my truck basicly and have asked on here quite a few times and never got any real answer. so i just change them out when i start having trouble with them. i think the problem may be in the harness plug for the switch. i've noticed the terminal for the high beam (on the switch) always tends to look brownish around the base (shorting and overheating?) and seems to loosen up and get alot of play in it.

my 2cts,
Jon Boy

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Its a 93 model, I swithced from high to low but it didn't change anything. I was thinking it maybe in my turn signal/headlight switch? Is that switch down by the pedals, or actually in the column?

If the problem remained in both hi and lo beam positions, then the combination switch being the problem is less likely. Other possibilities, in order, would be:
1 The main light switch itself is failing.
2 An open circuit, or bad connection or break, in the headlight wiring.
3 A short circuit in the headlight wiring (there's an internal circuit breaker in the light switch, which would open when there's a short circuit or overload with the headlights).

If the headlights aren't working, your best troubleshooting means would be doing a voltage drop test, starting at the headlight switch, then to the combo switch, and then out to the lights.

The combination switch is self-contained; it's all there in the steering column.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
sounds like the same thing i've gone through.

try getting a new dash switch, i don't think it's really the problem. i've just noticed changing the switch works (for a while anyway) the 84 has gone through 3-4 switches, 93 has had 2-3, and the 91 (newest truck) is on it's 2nd one.

i've had this problem with all my truck basicly and have asked on here quite a few times and never got any real answer. so i just change them out when i start having trouble with them. i think the problem may be in the harness plug for the switch. i've noticed the terminal for the high beam (on the switch) always tends to look brownish around the base (shorting and overheating?) and seems to loosen up and get alot of play in it.

my 2cts,
Jon Boy
Jon Boy, having similar similar problems on three different trucks is extremely bad luck, and it's got to be just an unfortunate coincidence.

For what it's worth, like you I have a 1st generation, a 2nd gen and a 3rd gen. The 3rd gen truck, the '94, is the only one of my own trucks that has given me headlight problems. The combination switch kept cooking, so I finally converted the headlights to being powered by relays (I think there's a writeup in the tech library).

On your trucks, it sounds like like you've got an excessive load on the light circuit, to go through that many main switches. You're probably right, in saying it's in the wiring harness. Even if it's never been touched or modified, the wiring can degrade over time, especially in the wiring harness connectors.

If you have more lighting trouble, check the current draw, go over the wiring for corrosion, heat damage, etc., or consider just converting your lights over to being relay powered.

86ltrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll take my main headlight switch out and take a close look at it. its hard to troubleshoot electronics when the problem comes and goes...

mr_speed77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
anyone know where to get a headlight switch for a 93 ranger? Mine go out and i have to wiggle the switch for them to come back on.

Jon Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's a pretty general item, so any parts store would have them. easy job to switch it out too.

chicagodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Greetings Folks,
Sorry for reviving an old thread but...

I have the problem with my 94 Ranger. Sometimes the headlights go out for a second or two or maybe flash a few times and then back to normal.

Is the "combination switch" mentioned the one on the dash which you pull out to turn on the headlights?

Many Thanks!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Greetings Folks,
Sorry for reviving an old thread but...

I have the problem with my 94 Ranger. Sometimes the headlights go out for a second or two or maybe flash a few times and then back to normal.

Is the "combination switch" mentioned the one on the dash which you pull out to turn on the headlights?

Many Thanks!
No, it's the lever on the steering column which controls turn signals, high/low beams, and wipers. The combination switch is behind the plastic steering column shroud. If I'm not mistaken, off the top of my head, removing a couple of phillips screws underneath the shroud will let you remove it to get at the switch.

Good luck.

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
mine dose this but im running really high wattage bulbs, im gunna try some normal bulbs tomorrow

YoderC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year truck? Was the flickering problem on lo beams only, or both hi and lo beams? Generally, the multifunction switch (hi/lo flasher, turn signals, etc.) is the weakest point in an RBV headlight circuit. Without more to go on, that's my first guess as to what caused your problem.
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 2.3L

My headlights, both lo and hi beam, will strobe/flash. Sometimes it last a few minutes and others over an hour. I have to hold my turn signal bar towards me the entire time so i can see where i am going. This wil make it so the brights are on but i can still see my lo beams flashing.

It seems to only happen after I have been driving for for sometime (an hour or so) and not for short trips around town.

I replaced the main headlight switch in 2010 when my headlights stopped working completely.

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
YoderC, Your problem sounds very similar to mine. I have a '94 XLT and the low beams work fine as long as I don't use the high beams. After I use the high beams a few times (for five - ten seconds), the low beams strobe/flash. I think the problem might be in the multifunction switch, but I can't prove it at this point. I recently replaced the multifunction switch after I discovered that the low beams would flicker occasionally if I bumped the old multifunction switch. After I replaced it, I started having the same problem as you with the brand new multifunction switch. I had the same experience as you when I was driving to work early one morning and had to pull the multifunction switch back so I could see where I was going. The second time this happened, I pulled off to the side of the road, turned the main headlight switch on the dashboard off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on. The low beams came on and stayed on without any flashing/strobing. It happened a third time and again I was able to get the low beams working normally by pulling off to the side, turning off the main headlight switch on the dash waiting a few seconds and turning it back on. I have googled "Ford Ranger multifunction switch problems" and "Ford Ranger headlight problems", but haven't come across a definite fix yet. I can get by with my low beams (and aux driving lights that I hadn't used in a while), but working high beams are needed to pass my state's annual inspection. I'll update my post and let you know if I come across a fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals