• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

headlight switch

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, i hit a deer with my truck....and my high beam works on the drivers side only...no low beam...on the passenger side high and low beams work. i have put in multiple light bulbs and that wasn't the problem. my neighbor is a shop owner he said put in a new headlight switch in cuz the damage was on the drivers side, he said it did something to the switch on impact. so my question was...can i get a new headlight switch from the bone yard? my truck is a 2004..with a 95+ ranger (saying 95+ cuz the switches look identical visually without taking it out)light switch work? and also is my neighbor refering to the switch you use to turn your parking/headlights on in the cab? thats the only switch i can think of. what do you guys think? what switches will fit? so i can get one for $3.00 instead of 69.00$

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I wouldn'y buy anything until I've traced down what the problem is. As in checking for power on the high beam wire at the headlight (headlights on, high beams) and then working my way back. Could be something as simple as a broken wire, and if it's not I'd suspect the multifunction switch before the main light switch.

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
well where do i find the multi-switch your talking about? cuz thats what the problem is. where is it located?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
well where do i find the multi-switch your talking about? cuz thats what the problem is. where is it located?
The multifunction switch is the turn signal, high/low beam and wiper control switch all built into one unit. It's on the steering column, behind the plastic trim peices which are between the instrument panel and steering wheel.

razrwild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn'y buy anything until I've traced down what the problem is. As in checking for power on the high beam wire at the headlight (headlights on, high beams) and then working my way back. Could be something as simple as a broken wire, and if it's not I'd suspect the multifunction switch before the main light switch.
x2 trace the wires back from the p/s light to see where it stops getting power and why. If the power does in fact go back to the switch then it would be safe to assume the switch is the problem but from an impact I would say its probably in the wiring

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fuses ok? Like the others, I would suspect a wiring problem rather than the switch.:)shady

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
its not the wiring guys, there is no pinched wires, the reason why he said its the multifunction switch is cuz he said the impact caused the switch to fry on the low beam side...i have high beams on both lights..when i click on my low beams i have the side that wasnt impacted....no fuses are bad either.. either way how big of a pain is it to put in the new multifunction switch few trim pieces and a few screws plug and play? also...are the 95+'s compatable with my ranger? this is a ford direct part ONLY...so its electrical so there are no refunds once its been opened....the mechanic said it was the multi switch so... i was thinkin get one out of the bone yard for $3 and try it...also like to note..the impact dented my fender cracked my corner lense and took my mirror off....the headlight itself didnt break at all only cracked about 1/2 inch on the top where the fender caught it..it was very light damage, but enough force to cause my headlight bulb to basically explode. and the reason i also doubt the wiring is i have juice running to the light socket. thats why the mechanic suspected the multifunction switch. also suggested on here.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals