• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headers for coil spring '98+

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
There's a guy on RPS using Pypes 304 Mustang shorty headers on his '02 XLT/coil spring 302-based project. They appear to fit very well. He's a member here, but haven't seen him post much, thought I'd share over here.
Looks like stock Ranger mounts with plates, BrianB style. All in all, very simple, very inexpensive.

Not sure how these normally look, his engine may be sitting a little high, but it looks good.

His build:
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?266075-Well-the-347-swap-into-my-99-ranger-has-begun!

Quote and pics:
I had a block and heads i used for mock up to make motor mounts and a trans mount. It turned out pretty good!

They are pypes 304 stainless shorty headers for mustangs. I was reading all of these header threads and when I made the mounts I was like... where is there an issue? No notching of the frame or tunnel area is needed in my application! It almost looks like I can run the h/x pipe for the late 80's to early 90's mustangs as well.
I'll have to keep watching, and see how the steering fits.

Last edited:

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to keep watching, and see how the steering fits.
Yeah, the biggest issue is going to be with the steering shaft - that's why the Torque Monster Headers look so weird on the driver side. He's going to have to reroute the shaft to get around those headers, possibly like the 4.6 guys have done in the 98-on Ranger platform with rack and pinion. The 2WD 98+ has more space in several areas compared to the 4x4 version but it's still the same problem at the shaft. As with many swaps, it often looks like you have a ton of room ... until it's time to reassemble.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Brian's plate design sits those plate right to the motor, he has some maybe 1" spacers it looks like on the passenger side. Hard to tell on the passenger side what was done. Sad that this wasn't posted earlier, I came thru his town six hours ago and would have made time to stop. Never gave it a thought, had to go to a memorial service for an uncle so mind was else where.
Teddy. keep us posted on how they do work. Them Torque Monsters are getting expensive and takes a long time to get them
Dave

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys this is the guy thats building this truck! Suprisingly, the motor does not sit as high as you would think it does, but it is a bit higher due to the higher capacity canton oil pan. And yes, if i would go any lower with the engine the passenger side header WILL hit the rear upper control arm mount. So it really doesnt matter if you have the canton oil pan or not i suppose. If you just used the stock manifolds none of this would really be a problem, but stock isnt fun! The engine is sitting in there at about a 4 degree angle which is really good... the shifter is right up at the floor with nothing rubbing anywhere. I kept hearing storys of people having to cut the tunnel and notching of the frame for shorty headers, but it all fit in there really good just as long as you keep the passenger side header about an inch above the control arm mount. I will need to make a new steering shaft with one more joint in it, the stock shaft ALMOST works but the tube coming from the front cylinder hits it. Ill try and keep it updated here as well. Thanks teddy for posting this!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals