• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head light switch issues 1994 B4000

Ralph Mills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I've been having the issue that whenever my head lights are on then my dash lights, brake lights and tail lights are not on. If I push in the head light switch just a small amount then they all work but it will be intermittent. It seemed like the switch was wearing out so I replaced the headlight switch but the issue is still the same. I'm now thinking that it could be the head light switch connector. No big deal to replace it also but before I take everything off again to do it I just wanted to hear thoughts from those more knowledgeable. Thanks in advance!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Most likely a blown fuse. The headlights are on a different circuit than the taillights/running lights. When you are putting the switch in the middle, you are crossing up the contacts in the switch and the power for the headlights is crossing over to the taillight circuit.

The brake lights are on a totally separate circuit, separate switch, they should have nothing to do with the other circuits in the back except they may have a common ground.

Ralph Mills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Brilliant!!!! Thank you!

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Small glass fuses can fail in such a way as to give intermittent contact.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 RANGER, not B4000, diagram below, but might be the same

The park, dash and brake lights share the same fuse, fuse 10 in cab fuse box, 15amp
Tan/white wire to Main light switch
Light green/red wire to brake light switch

From your description, assuming fuse 10 doesn't blow, there is a poor connection at the fuse panel/fuse that can only pass a few amps, so brake lights can work if there is not any other power draw
But as soon as you add the dash and park lights the amps drop to 0 and none of them work

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Taillights are on the same fuse as the brake light circuit. You can't beat the diagrams for info. Thanks for posting that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals