• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone ever used Royal Purple oil?

MudSweatNGearz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
has anyone ever used royal purple oil if so how did it do? does it work good?
has anyone used it in a transmission?

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How does RP do? It outperforms in manual and automatics.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Use specified oil and you'll be fine.

Royal Purple is no better in any sense than any other synthetic, and some of them are worse for street applications (not all RPs are API rated). It's better in a few senses than conventional oil, but your vehicle will do absolutely fine on conventional oil of the proper weight changed every 3000-5000 miles.

If you think you'll gain mileage, it's cheaper (and just as ineffective) to put a magnet on your fuel line....

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
MAKG have you ever used Royal Purple products?
And how have you reached your conclusion that RP is no better than other synthetics?

Oh and I would be interested in your mileage tests as well as compared to other independent studies-and why you would change transmission oil at 3-5000 miles

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
has anyone ever used royal purple oil if so how did it do? does it work good?
has anyone used it in a transmission?
My Ex g/f insisted on only Royal Purple Oil body rubs...never used in a tranny but it sure got her motor running...:hottubfun:

Now, seriously, what is RPO? I need a good oil for my tranny and was thinking of that TransMedic stuff (used it before and it seemed to work fine)...

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Define "better." You don't need perfect oil in an engine. Its effects will be indistinguishable from an adequate oil.

Yes, I used Royal Purple once, and AMSoil once. Never again. Far too expensive for no gain. For extended changing intervals, Mobil 1 works just as well (a used oil analysis is the ONLY way to do this right).

Tell me, what independent tests have YOU seen? Virtually everything out there is marketing BS done by the manufacturer.

3000-5000 miles is for crankcase oil. Change all fluids at recommended intervals and you'll be fine. Just make sure you change everything after water fouling due to deep water crossings.

These are not racing applications and racing oils are not appropriate. Just how hot do you think the oil gets? Why do you care if the breakdown temperature is 400 vs 450 deg?

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Probably helpful for leading competitive racers at the national level, just lightens everyone else's wallet.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Given the stress and heat transmissions build up, if you tow a lot it may not be a bad idea. It isn't like an engine where you change the oil every few thousand miles, and most automatics are way undercooled from the factory.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So the oil doesn't break down, but the clutches still do. And any other synthetic ATF will work just as well. As will conventional ATF.

Racing transmissions don't have to withstand 150,000 miles of abuse. Why one would think racing lubrication is appropriate for something that does is beyond me.

If that undercooling thing were true (it isn't), the solution would be more cooling.

Frankly, if you're burning conventional ATF, your transmission is slipping and it will burn ANY ATF. And the solution may be to turn the fricken overdrive off.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i'm not too sure but isen't there some reason to use gl-4 versus gl-5 because of shifting reasons?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the oil doesn't break down, but the clutches still do. And any other synthetic ATF will work just as well. As will conventional ATF.

Racing transmissions don't have to withstand 150,000 miles of abuse. Why one would think racing lubrication is appropriate for something that does is beyond me.

If that undercooling thing were true (it isn't), the solution would be more cooling.

Frankly, if you're burning conventional ATF, your transmission is slipping and it will burn ANY ATF. And the solution may be to turn the fricken overdrive off.
Just extra insurance is all I am saying, general rule of thumb is that around 200 degrees standard fluid starts breaking down. I have not seen racing fluids mentioned anywhere here, and I wouldn't run any oil that doesn't meet the recomended spec, but in that enviroment I don't think synthetic is too bad of an idea.

In some areas of the country with hills and a good load you still shift a fair amount even with the OD off, and build up heat because of it (especially when you tow in July and August like I do) Also if you get stuck and try to rock it out you can build up a lot of heat in the process as well. For a truck that runs around town pretty much empty there isn't much call for it.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
From the tests I have read about:
Reduced wear
Uniform molecule size
Higher hydrophobic properties
Higher oxidation resistance
Fuel economy increases
Horsepower & torque increases
Temperature reduction
Decreased wear-including reduced start up wear
Higher film strength- better ring sealing- less metal to metal contact
Reduced emissions
Reduced environmental impact
Molecular bonding to metal surfaces
All are benefits of at least Royal Purple products.
Micro polishing of metal surfaces

Add, high quality bypass filters that practically eliminate wear particles and you increase oil life substantially.

I have not yet seen one single test or study that has proven the above false.
BS claims can be handled by litigation however I know of no such cases either.

michowski

Reaction score
It's no use argueing with mak, you wont change his mind. He is set in his ways and what works for him. He is a traditionalist and sticks with thats worked for him. And theres nothing wrong with sticking with what works instead of trying to fix what isnt broken.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh I'm not worried about traditionalist opinions however I am more interested in quality, performance and longevity.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Use specified oil and you'll be fine.

Royal Purple is no better in any sense than any other synthetic, and some of them are worse for street applications (not all RPs are API rated). It's better in a few senses than conventional oil, but your vehicle will do absolutely fine on conventional oil of the proper weight changed every 3000-5000 miles.

If you think you'll gain mileage, it's cheaper (and just as ineffective) to put a magnet on your fuel line....
Actually, ALL of the RP products ARE API certified, and RP is NOT a MLM company like Scamsoil! Scamsoil is the one that only has 2 oil products API certified, and tries to deceive you into believing ALL their oil products are
API certified......But I agree with you, don't waste your money on a synthetic, whan an API certified dino oil will do just fine!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals