• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Harbor Freight Welder

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have any info on Harbor Freight welders? I believe they are a Chicago Electric brand and come in all kinds of amps. I would like to learn to weld and do not want to spend a ton, but I would want something that is usable. The stuff I would be doing is like welding spring perches on a 8.8 for example.

I think I would want a stick welder vs mig/tig.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with them. The feedback on the website is misleading as people either love them or hate them.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
When it comes to welders you get what you pay for if you want to learn take a welding class at the local comunity college there cheep

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I have the flux core welder from harbor freight it works for exhaust but dosent have the penatration to trust it on any thing structual

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the HF 90 Amp welder (item#68887), and it's fine for little stuff. It's the largest one they had for normal household voltage 120V, but it still needs a dedicated 20A plug, so we installed one in the workshop. An ordinary 15A circuit won't do. We have no 240V outlets anywhere (except behind clothes dryer).

I'm happy with this welder. I suck at welding, but at least now I can repair little stuff (3/16" or less). My welds are getting less sloppy each time I practice. In retrospect, I should have taken a (high-school?) welding class, and THEN chosen a welding machine. But who's got time for classes?
:icon_welder:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On harbor freight stuff, get the replacement warranty, it's inexpensive. I have gone through 3 of Chicago 4.5" grinders. Harbor freight is great for price, not quality. I wouldn't count on their stuff if I was working with it daily for a living, but have found some things there for my few projects to hold-up OK.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you are wanting a stick welder, go to craigslist and look for a used welder that has AC and DC capabilities (the DC is hard to find, but is much easier to weld with), with 7018 rod on DC it's about as easy as stick welding gets to look pretty and be structural.

That said, I have a couple friends with Harbor Freight 220V MIG welders and they do pretty decent for the price. I have one of the little flux core cheapies and it does good for what it is and is easy to use but it's NOT what you need for spring perches and such.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can pick up a Lincoln stick welder fairly cheap. Great welder. Go ahead and get a 220v welder. Will do much better on heavier stuff like your talking

I have a cheap mig and as stated does ok on thin stuff. Heats up if you use it long and you have to let it rest.

I like a stick welder for anything heavy but it's what I'm more used too also.

From experience on this , Save the extra 100$ to spend and it will get passed down to your kids. Don't and you will be frustrated and mad trying to learn

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals