• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Handling Ranger

Handlin_Business

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It has been attempted im sure a thousand times before me, but im going to make a truck to satisfy my sports car itch.

What im looking to do is a heavily modded (as much as possible done by me) truck on a a decent budget. 5 grand to a not pretty but running truck.

There was an episode of Truckin a while back where the guys mad an autocross capable ranger. i only caught part of the show where they were moving the fron suspension forward for weight distribution and were throwing a turbo on for power.

So the top of my list Power:
The obvious(to me) choice is an H.O. 5.0 t5 combination. not the lightest thing in the world so im open to any and all suggestions. did ford make a decent production aluminum v6 or v8 back in the day? (early 90's preferably, ive got smog to deal with)

Next is weight, and where I put it.
Lowering is going to happen, currently I have flipped rear shackles which is definitely one of my favorite mods ive done. A few hour made a huge difference to the way my truck handles and looks. all for the 5 bucks it costs for a few cut off wheels and some bolts.

I am wondering if it is worth a change away from leafs in the rear end. any ideas?

For the front end I plan to move the suspension forward a few inches. switching to a mustang rack and pinion and im thinking about an A arm set up. maybe out of an S10? also open for ideas or criticism. Its why im here =D

for the most part I want to build my truck basically out of a junkyard except a good set of bushings and maybe some coilovers.

The next step is moving a little closer to a uni body. Anyone heard of hard mounting the body to the frame? I figure its good for a little lower center of mass and a little bit stiffer chassis. There will of course be more chassis stiffening involved to avoid twisting the body too much... popping windows and tearing welds aren't my idea of a good time. :annoyed:

So what do you guys think? I got my separate daily driver and i'm ready to tear into the truck.

Also for the record im in the great state of California so Smog is an issue for the motor set up. I've been part of a 5.0 swap that smogged so i'm not to worried bout that. but it kind of turns me off of a smaller displacement lighter motor with forced induction.

I appreciate any little bit anyone can give me. Hope this project turns out as cool as it looks in my head :icon_hornsup:

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
for all that you wanna do idk if you will come in under 5 grand cause you dont wanna be using junk yard parts if you want it to last without replacing stuff, and A arm front suspension would take alot to get it done since i dont believe rangers ever came with it so there is no way to look and one and know exactly how to do it besides putting it in seeing if it works then if it doesnt start all over again and seems like to much of a pain when u could just get dream beams i believe is what they are called

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Wabbout grafting a reg cab onto a Mustang floor pan ? Get the 2 cars, and do some mixing and matching. Seems like perfect JY stuff. A roll cage could be incorporated to add structure Section the bed to adjust any wheel base issues.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What exactly are you looking for? I have an 87 stick with a 2.9. It doesn't set any 1/4 mile records, but I have driven this thing for years and I can and have handled it like something Bond would drive.

Just get some good shocks and good sway bars in it and go.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Handlin_Business

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. I was just wondering if an A arm swap has ever been done. Ive been looking at a set of drop I beams for some time so i guess that's where i'll be going.

At the moment my ranger has a 4.0 with the 5 speed stick shift but it is WAY front heavy for what i want to do with it. It really has an unbelievable amount of under steer. I've been looking around for a good aluminum motor swap but haven't come up with much.

Anyone seen the episode of trucks i was taking about? with the autocross ranger? I wish i could find it again.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
i don't believe there are any stock aluminium 5.o's that would be and aftermarket motor but not to sure

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are intent on fabbing in a front suspension I would consider something like a Mustang2 unit, like you see done on street rods and the like. My father has a fist gen Ranger with a 302/C4 that handled pretty good. It has stiff sway bars front and rear and rear leaf springs rearched and made spring under. The suspension in the front is stock. His leaf springs are a little too stiff, I guess from the way they are arched, but the truck is still right fun to drive on a dry road. Good shocks are important as well. A larger rear sway bar will help with your push problem. Your truck may always have a slight tendency to push just because it is a little front heavy.

I would highly recommend doing some research on what will happen to suspension characteristics (roll centers, etc.) as a result of lowering, before making any major changes, especially if you decide to stay with beams. You may find that you can make a really fun ride out of your truck without any major or expensive changes.

As far as engines, you should look into putting an aluminum 4.6 in it. You may be able to find one cheap these days. I don't know, but it may be worth looking into. Plus, if you ever get bored with it you can find used blowers cheap that are bolt on. If you don't need big power a stock block 302/347 with aluminum heads would be light, cheap and fun.

Last edited:

Handlin_Business

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the great info. I didn't know the 4.6 was made with an aluminum block. I'd imagine with the overhead valve design I might run into space issues. I know it has been done but the only time i've seen it was on a Ford Ranger Lightning project which was a big budget build. Definitely something to look into though.
Anyways my rear sway bar is VERY soft. I didn't realize that would cause problems with under steer. maybe I'll order up a sway bar and see how much of a difference it makes...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
A arm front suspension would take alot to get it done since i dont believe rangers ever came with it so there is no way to look
All 98+ Rangers use A-arms.

For a good handling Twin I Beam truck:

- Lower it. (DJM 3/4 drop or more)
- 1" Bronco II rear sway bar.
- 1 and 3/16" STX front sway bar.
- wider wheels and better tires.
- better shocks all around.
- poly bushings all around.
- stiffer springs (if you can find some).

With this ^ , I had to slow down on a nice long winding road, because the 'vette in front of me couldnt handle the turns as well as my truck, and I couldnt out accelerate him on the strait aways. :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't believe there are any stock aluminium 5.o's that would be and aftermarket motor but not to sure
Aftermarket OHV but late model Mustangs and F-150's have DOHC 5.0's. Late model enough to still totally kill your budget though...

The all cast iron 5.0 is less than 100lbs heavier than a V6, I noticed no handling or ride height differences when I switched from a 2.8 to a 5.0.

I hate to say it but the LS GM engines are about the best bang for buck in a compact package going right now... I still do not like interbreeding but it is a plain and simple fact that they are cheap, plentiful and packaged nicely for swaps (as opposed to Ford's steering and heater hating OHC engines)

98+ Rangers had rack and pinion A-arm front ends under them. Watch out for some 2wds like Edges and Trailheads that had the 4x4 style torsion bar front suspension but were not 4x4. It might be easier to just stick your truck's body on a comparable later model frame if you are attached to it, it would save a lot of work re-engineering the front end if you want a-arms. The 98+ trucks are set up pretty nicely for Ford's OHC V8's though, several nice looking swaps on here have been done on them.

Personally I always thought it would be fun to put a 5.0 Explorer AWD powertrain into a lowered 98+ 4x4 truck...

Thanks for the great info. I didn't know the 4.6 was made with an aluminum block. I'd imagine with the overhead valve design I might run into space issues.
OHV is nothing, the OHC (like 4.6's and all mod motors) is the getcha in a TIB/TTB truck.

Last edited:

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
snoranger thanks for clearing that up i forgot the 2wds had them i wasn't thinking right

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. I was just wondering if an A arm swap has ever been done. Ive been looking at a set of drop I beams for some time so i guess that's where i'll be going.

At the moment my ranger has a 4.0 with the 5 speed stick shift but it is WAY front heavy for what i want to do with it. It really has an unbelievable amount of under steer. I've been looking around for a good aluminum motor swap but haven't come up with much.

Anyone seen the episode of trucks i was taking about? with the autocross ranger? I wish i could find it again.
I believe that's the truck in the link I posted before. a '95' with Mustang "A" arms moved forward. He just sold it last year for $5000. Can't think of a Ford V-8 that's any lighter than a 302, even the new mod motors with alum block are heaver.
Dave

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never heard of anyone swapping one, but the Lincoln LS V8 is a small aluminum V8 that would be interesting in a Ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals