• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Half a clutch '99

Uhlenhopp09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When the vehicle is cooled off the clutch seems to act normal but when it warms up I lose pressure about half way down. It has 135isk thousand on it and I wouldn't be surprised if it needs a new clutch. It just seems weird to me that it would only do this intermittently. If I did the clutch I had planned on replacing the throw out bearing and slave cylinder and possibly pressure plate while it was all right there and available to do.

Uhlenhopp09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would also like to point out that I drove it on the interstate doing 75 and the highway doing 60 and it went back to normal doing town driving.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Haven't actually seen this myself on any vehicle, but could indicate something is failing...sporadic stuff doesn't make sense on something that actually works some of the time but when it goes back to normal, like when it's cooled, it makes it more strange.

You can actually try bleeding off some of the fluids and topping it up...or maybe flush/bleed it yourself as there may be moisture in the fluid. Clutch fluid is, after all, brake fluid...and brake fluid is known to get moisture in the mix and make it less able to give the type of pressure that makes it work right...

There is a bleeder valve on the transmission...may need help but have someone crack the bleeder and pump the clutch a few times...top up the reservoir every five or so pedal pumps...

Check the colour of the fluid...it may be black or otherwise discoloured...brake fluid is clear when fresh...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Try a fluid change on the clutch hydraulics first. It's brake fluid and it may just be water logged.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Try a fluid change on the clutch hydraulics first. It's brake fluid and it may just be water logged.
Water logged fluid (or just plain water, for that matter) will work great when cold. When hot it boils and quits working.

Uhlenhopp09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So a little update. It's now doing it when the vehicle is first drove and continues to do it when it's warmed up but then after a while it gets stiff again and back to normal. I just realized that I've never checked the fluid while it's doing it but I have checked it when it's normal and it's right at the full mark.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, three of us mentioned water in the brake fluid causing it to loose the ability to force the clutch to open...so...

Did you actually change the fluids? That should correct this for you...if you didn't change the fluid then there is not much else that it could be short of a mechanical failure...which doesn't seem to be the case since it does work properly some of the time...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals