• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

H & R single-shot shotguns

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A heavier gun will have less recoil, a lighter gun will have more. You will notice more recoil, but once you start getting into shooting it, and after a good time you shouldn't be bothered by the recoil. As for being lighter that's nice because you don't have something heavy you have to hold up, theoretically improving your accuracy by having a lighter gun.
I am not concerned about the recoil on myself, but my wife is tiny... Hence the 20ga in the first place.

I was leaning towards the pardner, and now I realize the Tamer has a 20" barrel, while the pardner is 26. I think I would prefer the longer one, especially because it is also the heavier one.

Any input on the possible differences in accuracy from a 20 to 26" barrel, or is it negligible on a shotgun, especially a 20ga?

edit - also just noticed the Tamer is full choke, the Pardner is modified choke.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I am not concerned about the recoil on myself, but my wife is tiny... Hence the 20ga in the first place.

I was leaning towards the pardner, and now I realize the Tamer has a 20" barrel, while the pardner is 26. I think I would prefer the longer one, especially because it is also the heavier one.

Any input on the possible differences in accuracy from a 20 to 26" barrel, or is it negligible on a shotgun, especially a 20ga?

edit - also just noticed the Tamer is full choke, the Pardner is modified choke.
A longer barrel is more accurate, the projectile can reach a higher velocity because of it, and it will reduce some of the recoil as well. With a shotgun, you should see some of an accuracy difference with a longer barrel, but that also depends on the choke. A full choke is a tighter grouping while a modified choke is more of a spread out grouping. It's not going to be that much greater due to the fact it's a shotgun, but like I said, there is a minor improvement. You should be able to buy different chokes for it, usually they just unscrew from the end of the barrel and you put the new one on.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A longer barrel is more accurate, the projectile can reach a higher velocity because of it, and it will reduce some of the recoil as well. With a shotgun, you should see some of an accuracy difference with a longer barrel, but that also depends on the choke. A full choke is a tighter grouping while a modified choke is more of a spread out grouping. It's not going to be that much greater due to the fact it's a shotgun, but like I said, there is a minor improvement. You should be able to buy different chokes for it, usually they just unscrew from the end of the barrel and you put the new one on.
These are cheap guns. They both specify Fixed xxxxxx choke. I am 99% sure there is no changing the chokes, unless I wanna go to a gun smith. (even then, i could only go one way)

I understand the differences in choke, I am well-trained in the book-knowledge associated with guns. I dont have any real-world experience though. I also understand how a longer barrel creates a faster projectile. (Up to a certain barrel length, of course.)

Im leaning towards the 26", modified choke Pardner.
The other option is 20" full choke Tamer.

Which do you think would have the tighter grouping? The longer the range, the better Im thinking.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
These are cheap guns. They both specify Fixed xxxxxx choke. I am 99% sure there is no changing the chokes, unless I wanna go to a gun smith. (even then, i could only go one way)

I understand the differences in choke, I am well-trained in the book-knowledge associated with guns. I dont have any real-world experience though. I also understand how a longer barrel creates a faster projectile. (Up to a certain barrel length, of course.)

Im leaning towards the 26", modified choke Pardner.
The other option is 20" full choke Tamer.

Which do you think would have the tighter grouping? The longer the range, the better Im thinking.
With a shotgun you really shouldn't be hoping for a lot of range unless your using slugs, I would be going for the 20 full choke because from what you're planning to do with it that would be the better choice. Unless you plan on going bird hunting then the other one would make more sense. The accuracy isn't going to be a big deal with the shotgun so need not to worry about the extra 6 inches on the other one. With your full choke you will be able to have a nice tight grouping to shoot at whatever with. Now if you plan an doing a lot of clay shooting again the 26 would make sense, it doesn't mean you can't with the 20. But yeah, the 20 inch full choke tamer would be a good choice.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why is the pardner (26" with mod choke) better for clay pigeons and birds?

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Why is the pardner (26" with mod choke) better for clay pigeons and birds?
The modified choke allows the shot to spread out more. So when shooting at a bird or clay you have more area to hit it in. As opposed to a lesser spread of a full choke. And you get that bit extra of reach.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Extra bit of reach? Due to the longer barrel creating a higher velocity pellet, or...?

So the full choke just makes it harder to land a hit on a clay or bird, which dont take much to take out?

This gun will mostly be used to shoot at targets and small woodland critters (squirrels, rabbits, grouse, 'coon or coyote if needed...) but I would like to be able to take it to the gun club for some trap or skeet if at all possible. (My brother is really into that.)

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Extra bit of reach? Due to the longer barrel creating a higher velocity pellet, or...?

So the full choke just makes it harder to land a hit on a clay or bird, which dont take much to take out?

This gun will mostly be used to shoot at targets and small woodland critters (squirrels, rabbits, grouse, 'coon or coyote if needed...) but I would like to be able to take it to the gun club for some trap or skeet if at all possible. (My brother is really into that.)
Yes, high velocity means it can travel a bit farther. Now if you plan on shooting varmits you might want to have the 20 with full choke so you get a bit of a more focused spread. You can still go clay shooting it will just be a little harder to hit the target. Ugh, its just really hard to narrow down which one is better, shotguns are meant for up close and personal things, so if you were shooting varmitns it would be at close range, so you could still use the 26. You can always use slugs for longer range so.... Reallly, it should come down to quality and price. Both shotguns can be used for about everything you want to do with it with just a small difference giving them more or less ability for that certain objective. But now, really to think of it fully... the 26 might be the best, you can have a little longer range, less recoil, and more spread, so you can take it and have an easier time clay shooting. You should be able to shoot varmints with it because either or it will have to be at close range, and if you use slugs to get more range the 26 will help with that. So just stick with that, either way you're throwing so many little bb's at whatever you're aiming at you're bound to hit it. Lol

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Im getting my restricted licence, so I will be allowed to own anything thats legally ownable in Canada.

With a non-restricted liscense, all you can own is long guns. Cant own pistols, or anything with a barrel under 18.5" or that can fold/telescope/whatever to under 26".

That being said, I still cannot own quite a few things...
Anything that is center-fire and semi-auto is limited to a 5 round clip. (Rim fire can have as big a clip as you want.)

Prohibited guns include:
handguns with barrels shorter than 105mm (just over 4 inches)
any .25 and .32 caliber handguns.
sawed off/shortened guns under 26" long.
sawed off/shortened guns over 26" long, but w/barrel shorter than 18".

Anything fully automatic.
Anything prescribed by legislation as being a prohibited gun. (This includes the civilian, semi-auto AK-47, just cause they can. ****ers...Will just have to make an SKS look like an AK I guess. lol)
-Semi auto centerfires with a barrel length under 18.5" are considered restricted(not prohib). Bolt actions, pump action, single shot, or any rimfire rifle, ect. can have any barrel length if the OAL stays over 26" and be non-restricted... I have a rifle with a 13" barrel that is non-restricted.
-Shortened guns(under 26" OAL) via telescoping stocks or folding can be registered as restricted, not prohibited.
Sawed off, under 18" barrel or sawed off under 26" OAL, then yes they're prohib. I know, that's pretty much what you said, it's just that guns can be shortened just not sawed off and still be non-restricted or restricted. Canadian gun laws are a headache.

Prohibs are legally own-able in Canada, just not many have the license to do so.

Semi-auto rifles are not limited to 5rds, the magazines are limited. So people use 10rd pistol magazines(pistol magazines are limited to 10rds) in semi-auto rifles legally.(10rd magazine made for the RA XCR pistol is legal is use in the rifle version)

Most importantly... Vz58s are more fun then an Sks!

canadiangunnutz.com & gunownersofcanada.ca
are the two biggest canadian gun forums.

Last but not least... have you consider a cooey single shot shotgun? Lots of those for sale up here.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Most importantly... Vz58s are more fun then an Sks!
You know I saw one of those for $200 bucks, and now I can't find one that's less than $400.
I don't know about more fun since there both the same calibers.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You know I saw one of those for $200 bucks, and now I can't find one that's less than $400.
I don't know about more fun since there both the same calibers.
I just find them more ergonomic, lighter, & easier to clean(corrosive surplus is the goto ammo here).
They go for $700 up here, I put mine together for around $3-400 with a barreled receiver & a parts kit. For $400 they wouldn't be able to keep any in stock up here.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I just find them more ergonomic, lighter, & easier to clean(corrosive surplus is the goto ammo here).
They go for $700 up here, I put mine together for around $3-400 with a barreled receiver & a parts kit. For $400 they wouldn't be able to keep any in stock up here.
Meh, yeah I saw you can build them. When I saw it, I thought the wood was particle board. Gosh, really wish I would have gotten it. Well, my SKS in the least is easy, it's tiny you can take it apart with the press of a button, and the cleaning kit is conveniently stored in the stock.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Here this should put things in perspective.

Really you're not going to any yardage due to the longer barrel canceling out the modified choke's spread.
So, just get the 26 modified, you can use it for everything you want. Keep in mind it is a shotgun, and going for range isn't it's strong point.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here this should put things in perspective.

Really you're not going to any yardage due to the longer barrel canceling out the modified choke's spread.
So, just get the 26 modified, you can use it for everything you want. Keep in mind it is a shotgun, and going for range isn't it's strong point.
Thats about what Im looking for. The effective range differences between the two seem pretty negligible, while I feel the longer barrel will have its advantages.

The Pardner is $190 while the Tamer is $230, so I think Im going with the Pardner. If the 20ga is still too much for my tiny wife, then I'll look at getting a tamer in .410 I think.

Can anyone comment on the functionality of slugs in a full choke? I assume the smaller diameter would effect the slug velocity, but slugs are made of relatively soft metal, so they just deform to fit. Any comments?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Semi-auto rifles are not limited to 5rds, the magazines are limited. So people use 10rd pistol magazines(pistol magazines are limited to 10rds) in semi-auto rifles legally.(10rd magazine made for the RA XCR pistol is legal is use in the rifle version)
That is an interesting tidbit I never knew. I will certainly keep that in mind for the future...

Do you know of any cheaper guns also like that? A quick google search shows me guns worth like $2000 each :sad:
Being able to have a 10-shot semi auto that could have the same clips as my pistol is a very intriguing idea.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals