• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going on road trip, need advice

OlBlue1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i have a trip coming up soon, ill be driving around 8 hours on the interstate one way back to my home state, then another 8 back to tennessee.
the trip is around 1000 miles (500 there, 500 back)

i was wondering what all i need to have done to my truck to make sure it will make it that far without blowing up on me?
I have recently replaced the timing belt, and retimed it. also replaced both drive belts, changed oil, replaced all 8 plugs and both coil packs

not sure on the mileage of my truck, its a 5 digit odometer and ive fairly certain its turned at least once in its life time..

my truck is a '90, with the 2.3L

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If the truck has been operational otherwise there is not really much you can do other than what you've already done.

What you might want to do is to take extra things that you may need as a just in case (I used to have a "justin case"...it was a tool box with spare parts)...

Things you may want to carry include spare timing and alternator belts, spare alternator, spare tires (one extra), fluids such as oil, coolant, and washer fluid (and gas), and a good set of tools that includes wrenches, ratchets and sockets, a johnson bar with a lug nut socket, and maybe a spare head lamp.

Have you checked the brake shoes and pads recently? Topped up the transmission fluid? Checked the master cylinder and top up the brake fluid? Had the rear end fluids changed?

I'm sure others have suggestions also...but it's not a major trip by any means...I put about that many miles on my truck a week but usually carry as many spare things as I can...without adding too much weight...

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i have a trip coming up soon, ill be driving around 8 hours on the interstate one way back to my home state, then another 8 back to tennessee.
the trip is around 1000 miles (500 there, 500 back)

i was wondering what all i need to have done to my truck to make sure it will make it that far without blowing up on me?
I have recently replaced the timing belt, and retimed it. also replaced both drive belts, changed oil, replaced all 8 plugs and both coil packs

not sure on the mileage of my truck, its a 5 digit odometer and ive fairly certain its turned at least once in its life time..

my truck is a '90, with the 2.3L
I would change out the t-stat and flush the coolant, make sure all the coolant hoses are good?.........in TN you should be all set but I would check the rear leafspring hangers and shackles for rust....I am not sure what tranny you have been check/changing fluid is a good idea.........also check the rear diff for gear oil?

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Seafoam it

I'd get a can of this and follow the directions made mine run smoother & more responsive.:yahoo:

OlBlue1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I would change out the t-stat and flush the coolant, make sure all the coolant hoses are good?.........in TN you should be all set but I would check the rear leafspring hangers and shackles for rust....I am not sure what tranny you have been check/changing fluid is a good idea.........also check the rear diff for gear oil?

i have the manual 5speed tranny in my truck, im not sure of the exact name for it though..

i filled the fluid in my rear diff, that was pretty low. checked tranny fluid, no problems there.

already flushed and filled my coolant, had to replace a temp sensor a few weeks ago so thats taken care of.

im just trying to go over everything to make sure i dont break down, i hope these little trucks are pretty good when it comes to interstate traveling..

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
check your spare tire!

OlBlue1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
haha about that... the previous owner never gave me the full size spare for the truck :/

i do have the jack though. i change tires and such for a living, i can do it by hand on the side of the road if i have to, its just a PITA!!!

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Inspect the brake pads and maybe repack the front wheel bearings.

I usually carry a good assortment of tools too.

One thing I will say, if you are driving a lot of hills/mountains, put it in 4th gear well before you begin to climb. You'll get better mpg.

Be safe!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals