• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going full circle

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 96 Explorer was initially purchased to supply a 4.0 replacement for the 93 Ranger, and although it's made some side trips, that is still on course

My cousin took the transmission that came from Zombrata and found a main shaft to use in it, I am looking forward to using that transmission :)

Needless to say, I was mistaken about that main shaft being alike, and these two being compatible.

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I started putting me a little engine hoist together today also.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You couldn't pay me enough to get under that
View attachment 87482
I won't be totally dependent on that, it's just enough support to help me get the cross beam attached on the sides. It held me up so I'm fairly certain it can hold 30 lbs a little while, and I won't much be under it anyway
Sorry if I worried you fella's ;)

I had hoped to get it done today but the winds 30+ all day long. Took a little walk in the woods and it sound like a constant jet roar. I think it will let up some tomorrow and Tuesday and be much more conducive to joinery

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What engine you pulling that weighs 30 lbs.?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm going to build an "A" frame under there, the cross-member weighs about 30 pounds

I can lift it up and tie it off and join it to the two uprights there.

My plan is to pull the Ranger engine, get it out of the way, pull the Explorer under there and pull that engine, leave that engine on the hoist, pull the Explorer back and the Ranger in there and slip the motor down into the Ranger

I am not certain what all I will need to have on hand to get it up and running but a top end gasket set andan injector rebuild kit, I am rather vague on what all I will need but hope it comes off without too many glitches

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Now it makes sense!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This was pretty much it. More time finding hardware than putting it together.
Sure glad that limb didn't let me down but I stay clear anyway as far as possible.
Next chance I need to start getting things together for the swap.
I'll be using the 96 Explorer Block under the 93 Ranger intake and hoping it all comes together as well :)

I had a request for this so decided to share it here

I received request for info on the engine hoist I built so decided to paste it here too. I never drew a plan, and the only figuring I did was on the 2 4x4 I cut the 6 corner braces from, the 2 center ones were a bit shorter and were used on the top corners

Guess I did scribble up a plan, on a 3x5 note card. I have actually drawn plans for high rise office buildings using scribbles on a torn brown paper bag no more complicated than this, and used the brown paper bag to confirm any questions later in the process
DSCF8498.JPG

I bought the wood, ALL Fully ground treated lumber, for that just as the pandemic was crashing down, and Home Depot hadn't yet gotten into the materials famine they would experience the next couple of years, so the prices weren't so bad. I had also picked up several bags of torx screws of assorted sizes, and a small number of hex head lag bolts, which I eventually had to replenish but the prices still weren't so bad

I used 6 8ft 4x4 and one 8ft 4x6 plus 2 metal corner angles with through bolts for the top corners.

They were stacked there so long the 4x4 had (i stack them perfectly straight, anyone who has worked long with wood will always do so) bent a bit so I picked the straightest ones and used the two crookedest ones for the corner braces, which numbered 6. 2 on each side of the 2 uprights and 2 on each end of the 4x6 cross-member.

I had the Ryobi power tool set which had an impact driver AND a regular drill/driver. The impact was necessary for driving most of the hex screws and lag bolts.

It was actually rather easy to build, and used some long, 10 or 12ft 2x4/ 2x6/whatever for base cross bracing to drag it around a bit to go just where it needed to go. I used a regular flat bar to pry up the base beams and put dirt underneath for leveling it somewhat.

I used a 7 1/4 power circular saw (my ancient Ryobi 10" miter saw on/off switch had just gone dead) to cut the 2 4x4 into 6 braces with 45 degree corners. I layed/marked out the two end ones on each 4x4 which left the two middle ones being equally shorter by a couple inches, so I used the two short ones on the top sides

It really was not difficult, complicated, or a lengthy process but if you build it you own it ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wew!!! First started reading this, thought you were lifting engine with a tree limb; that Frame looks good & stout.
Consider putting crossbeam on top of the 2 column posts, instead of bolted on the inside;
would make Frame even stronger & lessen chance of shearing those bolts with a heavy load.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wew!!! First started reading this, thought you were lifting engine with a tree limb; that Frame looks good & stout.
Consider putting crossbeam on top of the 2 column posts, instead of bolted on the inside;
would make Frame even stronger & lessen chance of shearing those bolts with a heavy load.
I'm afraid that's all it's going to get besides a couple metal straps up the side and across the top, maybe a foot each way and fastened down with heavy hex screws.
I just didn't have much luck with my closest Home Depot, only other options are local places which I did check but not much there either.
After several times through there they just didn't stock anything for joinery over a 2x6 I guess, and that was just hurricane strips. The only thing I found for a 4-by was a 4x4 post top to a 4x top rail, so I was pretty much left to do what I could with what I could find, and you won't get no help in there :/

I think there is plenty with what it's going to have to keep it from starting, and if it starts Ima' get out the way!

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got it lined up today with some rope and a couple pulleys. Had to pull it forward about 50 ft and back again about as much, to get it in line with its' intended targets. I kept it on the driveway because this is totally black dirt here and since I built that strip up with tons of gravel it's the only place to hope for a bit of Terra Firma.

After I got done and went looking for some wheels to build a little engine cart, I ran across the original Transfer Case motor. When I went to see it she told me they had wanted to use it in some sand in Florida but the light didn't come on or something, and they had been told it needed a 4WD switch or some such, and that's why she hadn't even put 4 wheel drive in the ad, because it wasn't working, and that's how I got a 4 wheel drive for a 2WD price! :D They had been told $300 to fix it, and she told me it was a $100 part. My first discovery of the extent of work I'd need to do was at Emissions and it had to be left shut off in neutral, then after the test I had problems getting it back into gear, which took me to the photo in my profile, in my front yard in Tennessee.
I'm hoping that TC switch might be the original Ford

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My cousin is putting a new tail shaft in the transmission I got from Zumbratacrud, and I'm hoping to pull the 93 4.0 from the Ranger, and move the 96 4.0 engine into its place. I may add an awning support onto the A Frame to hold a tarp that will help keep the weather out.
I'm wondering about draining the Coolant, the transmission fluid, and the AC. Going to see if cousin has a way to evacuate both AC's. and thinking the transmission emptied itself on the highway. I was doing about 70 and looked back and the smoke behind me was so thick I think everybody else had to pull over and stop. Anyway I think the transmission may be already empty. I still drove it on home, around 12 or 15 miles, stopping ever couple of miles to let it cool off, whatever that was glowing under there (I don't remember now if it was the transmission pan or the Cat).
The Explorer antifreeze I might save and use in the new arrangement going into the Ranger, I think it was near pure.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I also want to use the radiator from the Explorer in the Ranger, since I'm hoping to remove the AC stuff, it's a double thick Radiator and I believe it will be branded FORD

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The frame and hoist are about as far along as I'll get them I suppose, but I'n not sure how tight a fit it may be. That stick is just a guess, and could be a bit optimistic, but I'm hoping to have maybe a 3 ft window or at least 2 1/2 +. I got the come along at a sale about 3 years ago for 10 or $15.

Made by American Gage Mfg in Ohio and the company disappeared in 1973. A search for the company and the come along model # of 70 A took me directly to another come along looking exactly like it made by a different company.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals