• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

glad i own a truck

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What the he'll kinda retread semi tire you put on a ranger?

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
What would expect out of the semi driver. Their rig only has 10 tires and retreads cost only 1/2 the price of a new tire. I know it sucks when one of those gator strips come off. Sucks even worse if you are the one to hit it.

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My buddy just had one go thru his grille, busted his new Hellas and his grille as well as fukd up some fins in his ac condenser

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I hit one of those gators last year. Ripped my front license plate off, scraped my bumper, and pushed my PA speaker right into my AC condenser. I still need to fix it. :pissedoff: Screw retreads and anyone that uses them.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
You guys know that new tires will fail like that too if you (or rather, they) let them run at low pressures for very long.

Many commercial aircraft tires are retreaded as well. I bet you'd be surprised to see just how many retreaded tires are out there. and compare that with the ones you see on the road it's fairly small failure rate. You just think it's constantly semi's because guess what? they're constantly driving, sooner or later a tire will fail and it's not going to fail on one sitting in a field.

How many tire insidents happen you you guys? come out in the morning and the tire is flat? Imagine having to take care of a dozen or more, and it's not as easy to change or sometimes notice (as 3 other tires are holding things up on the same axle). now take those incidents ad put however many 100,000's of miles a year on things. Lot's can happen.

Last edited:

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You guys know that new tires will fail like that too if you (or rather, they) let them run at low pressures for very long.

Many commercial aircraft tires are retreaded as well. I bet you'd be surprised to see just how many retreaded tires are out there. and compare that with the ones you see on the road it's fairly small failure rate. You just think it's constantly semi's because guess what? they're constantly driving, sooner or later a tire will fail and it's not going to fail on one sitting in a field.

How many tire insidents happen you you guys? come out in the morning and the tire is flat? Imagine having to take care of a dozen or more, and it's not as easy to change or sometimes notice (as 3 other tires are holding things up on the same axle). now take those incidents ad put however many 100,000's of miles a year on things. Lot's can happen.

Exactly. Unless you drive for a MAJOR fleet operation....you can't afford brand new tires on your rig every time something goes wrong.

I think you'd be really hard-pressed to find a truck on the road these days that does NOT have retreads on it. And when you consider how many trucks are on the road and how few gators you see....like Captain Ledd said, it's a very small failiure rate.

If people would quit being such morons and allow the proper spacing between vehiles, they'd be able to see the gator and react with plenty of time to spare. PERIOD.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
my old man used to run retreads on his big rig alot over the 20+ years that he's been drivin the highway. never once had one come apart. never ran them for very long, just used them 5 or 6 weeks rather than dumping several thousands of dollars in new tires

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've ran over several of them....but like the title says, I'm glad I drive a truck. No damage suffered here. If I owned a big rig, I would run em.

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic
the rretreads are on my daily driver tow rig (dodge 2500). i went with these http://www.treadwright.com/p-48-265-75r16-sentinel-a-t-e.aspx

most of the tires you see on the side of the road blew apart from being driven for a while while flat. like captian ledd said any tire driven flat will blow out. The reason they come apart the way they do is because the less air that is in the tire the more rolling resistance the is. more resistance =more heat. the heat cuuses the rubber to break down leading to belt seperation.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yeah i remember my old man always telling me that when there was a tire blew out on the side of the road it was usually on a hot day with a heavy load

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think it's funny how you guys complain about running over the torn retreads.

Go around them? If your trying to drive over stuff on the highway your just asking for trouble. I bet your the same kind of people that run over bags or small cardboard boxes. How do you know there isn't nails, or a puppy, in one of those?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual

Go around them? If your trying to drive over stuff on the highway your just asking for trouble. I bet your the same kind of people that run over bags or small cardboard boxes. How do you know there isn't nails, or a puppy, in one of those?
wow, i didnt really blame you while i was reading until i got to the puppy part. thats cruel, ill never run over a box now just thinking about a puppy being in there lol

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends

Truth.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
To those of you suggesting I don't know how to drive/ run shit over on purpose:
I didn't see the tire until it was too late. And the reason I didn't see it was 1. It was on an extremely dark road. 2. It was in the lane I had JUST moved into. 3. The car behind me had really bright headlights right in my rearview mirror and my eyes still had spots in them, so I couldn't see very well for those few moments before I hit it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals