• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Getrdone52's 98 Ranger Build thread

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
the lettering is a very cool idea!
Thanks!

I put an Explorer center console in and got some seat covers to cover up the seat I cut up lol.

The coin slots can't even hold coins so I thought I'd put better use to them.

When you push the button this happens.

Last edited:

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Ohh yaa!! Thanks crawlin91!

93bushtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What case is that?

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
1354 from a 94? Explorer

93bushtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice man
Truck looks good, I like the blue :icon_thumby:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Correct, 94 Explorer 1354M. It looks good in there.:cool:

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
So I pulled a drive shaft from a 96 explorer today and it fits in there but the holes for the bolts closest to the front axle don't line up and the C clamps that's supposed to hold the driveshaft in closest to the T-Case are too small so nothing bolts up. I was wondering if I could weld it in? What do you think

Edit: ummm ya it was in backwards. All good now though! :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

miller time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1999
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 duals out the back 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
i like how you did the ranger letters on the side. but i think you should take off the ranger emblems on you fenders

i would not weld it do to if you need it off later

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
i like how you did the ranger letters on the side. but i think you should take off the ranger emblems on you fenders

i would not weld it do to if you need it off later
Sorry I didn't see this earlier but I want to get fiberglass fenders soon anyways so I'll jut leave it. But thanks!

Ok I have lot's to update. I'll try to go in order.

Well this happened awhile ago but I put in a white explorer console

No I didn't plan this

Then I took off my tire mount on the roll bar and modded the tire carrier underneath to carry a 31"

All I did was cut the little support thing off

And it looked like this for awhile

Then I got 2 7" HID lights from RuffStuff and rocked the mickey mouse look.

At work

This is really the only pic I have of them on

Then the clutch went out and was down for 2 weeks. Biggest PITA ever but the shop wanted $1200 to do it so I had no choice.

Then I bought a bumper but haven't made mounts for it yet because I don't know if I like it or not. I want more of a prerunner bumper. What do you guys think?

Mocked up

Then I got a tire gate

I scored 2 more 7" HIDs on Craigslist for $70 and I just mounted them this weekend. Haven't wired them up yet though because before it was a ghetto rig and for these lights I want to do it right so I may have a professional do it (I suck at wiring)

Barely clears garage door!

And my most recent upgrade is coilovers. I have the brackets and everything I just need to mount them (which may take awhile because I don't have the tools to do so). They are Fox 2.0x5" emulsion shocks and 12" Eibach springs

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Oh and when I install the coilovers I'm going to convert to live axle. And I also ripped out the explorer center console because is squeaked like a mofo and I was getting sick of it.

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Ok got everything in and for anyone wanting to do this conversion and 750lb springs I wouldn't recommend it. I just got everything installed and it is incredibly stiff... I may even say worse than cranked t bars and it almost at full droop. When the truck was jacked up and everything was installed I set it on the ground the coils only compressed maybe an inch. If you have a big steel bumper with a winch it may be a different story but the front of our trucks aren't heavy at all. It lifted my truck an additional inch or two and the coil is rubbing on the upper ball joint. That extra lift is also putting the cv axles at a horrible angle and is stressing out the wheel bearings. Its hard to tell a difference in height in the pics but you can definitely tell in person.

Before height (Cranked t bars)

After height

Look at cv and upper control arm angles

Rubbing

I just ordered some 650lb springs and should be here in a few days. On the plus side I have live axle now :D oh and I sold the bumper so I'll try to get another soon.

Last edited:

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Finally I got everything done and it is much better. I kinda wish the 650's were a little softer but I am happy with them. Hopefully they soften up a bit in a few months. One thing happened while install though, the truck was jacked up and i was turning the steering wheel to get better access to bolts and stuff, and all of a sudden power steering fluid shot out of the cap (literally on to the hood) and got everywhere. (That's what's in the fender in the first pic) and now I've noticed when I turn right at like 30 mph (like on ramp on a highway) it shakes pretty bad, kinda like the jeeps death wobble if any of you are familiar with that. I just thought that was weird. I'm going to get an alignment this weekend and that may be the problem but I will have to wait and see. Anyways on with the pics

I messed up my paint job on the welds because I was in a hurry to get them on and scratched them but it's ok.

Oh and I need to adjust my coils, my truck shrunk almost to stock height haha

Before

After

Before

After

miller time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1999
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 duals out the back 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok the power steering will shoot out if not running just fill it up a drive down the road turning left and right. People will think your drunk lol but it will get the air out of the system

Did you take out your sway bar

Last edited:

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Ok the power steering will shoot out if not running just fill it up a drive down the road turning left and right. People will think your drunk lol but it will get the air out of the system

Did you take out your sway bar
What's a sway bar? :icon_thumby:

Ok well I guess its time to update this. So since the last picture the lights, roll bar, and tire gate are gone. I was going 45 when my tire gate fell off so I need to make new mounts. I took the roll bar out because it was getting in the way when loading my dirt bike. But I bought a light cage for the roof so I just need to make mounts for it and I got a new bumper.

Then I raised it and painted it

Then it got an 8.8 with l/s and geared to 4.88 front and rear

Theennnn it started going downhill from there. First I was goin 55 and the truck started vibrating real bad so I got off to go into a near by parking lot and pulling into the parking spot there was a huge clunk. I get under the truck and find my t case literally in half. This was about a month ago.

So I got another manual t case for $60 and put it in and it ran so much smoother. The next day I drove a 400 mile round trip to a ranger meet at the sand dunes and nothing broke. Thank god!

So about two weeks ago I was goin 55 again and I noticed I had no oil pressure and the "check gauge" light was on. It was still running fine but I decided to pull over anyways and popped the hood, checked the dipstick, oil looked good and I couldn't find anything obviously wrong. The whole time I was checking the truck it was idling then it suddenly died. I started it up after letting it sit for like 10 mins but after that it was hesitating whenever I revved it. Its been sitting ever since and I still don't know whats wrong with it. It's either a clogged oil pump or sheared gear in the cam synchronizer (sp?) I've always hated my 3.0 anyways so I'm considering a V8 swap. Seems pretty straight forward but want to do a little more research still. So hopefully within the next month it will be driving again.

Oh and here is the mileage when it "died" (look at the trip). I swear to you that's what it was at. It's at 304 now from towing it home though :/ So I think that's a sign haha

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Got my motor out today!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals