• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gearwrench tools?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I have Gearwrench standard and metric flex head ratcheting wrenches, no problems at all.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have this same set. Worked great on changing the front shocks on the Ranger. Overall great quality, but not sure how easy it would be to find replacement sockets for it.

AJ
I baby mine, if I have to get after something it is with a box end wrench until it's broke loose.

Or my $40 Stanley set. That thing is a Trooper, I got it as a jy redshirt set, it turned out to be scotty where it is in on fixing everything. Roughly 15 years of use and abuse in junkyards and around the farm and I haven't broken or lost anything yet.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I almost always baby my tools. If it comes to being "mean" like putting a pipe on things to break stuff loose, I use garbage tools. But I have always had "work" tools and "home" tools. I literally can't have "work" tools anymore so I'm going through everything and home and work tools are mixing, my brain is melting.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Gearwrench, Tekton etc....I would call it "mid grade"

It seems crappy tools have gotten better, while good tools have gotten crappier. HF stuff is not as bad as it used to be. Craftsman is not as good as it used to be.

The ratchets are a good litmus test. The clicks per turn and freeplay between them will tell it. Its really annoying when there's not enough space to turn the ratchet because 1/64" of free play between the teeth. The ones with a lot of teeth are nice, but break more easily if abused.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the right tool for the job makes a difference.
my SAE stuff is old, Indestro brand from about 1969, added Proto wrenches as needed over the years.
most of the metric is Craftsman, added lots of other stuff. lately some Dewalt, I like them.
from my work I have an extensive set of Excelite electro-mechanical tech tools. they are mostly for small or minature stuff.

for the real tough stuff, which the rust belt provides plenty of, I have a 3/4" drive socket set.
instead of expending energy bending a 1/2" bar, the 3/4" stuff transfers all the force to my stubborn nuts. :shok:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

It seems crappy tools have gotten better, while good tools have gotten crappier. HF stuff is not as bad as it used to be. Craftsman is not as good as it used to be.

The ratchets are a good litmus test. The clicks per turn and freeplay between them will tell it. Its really annoying when there's not enough space to turn the ratchet because 1/64" of free play between the teeth. The ones with a lot of teeth are nice, but break more easily if abused.

View attachment 53146
That looks handy.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

View attachment 53146

with ratchets it helps if you open them up and clean the teeth. that prevents slippage which wears the teeth.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
with ratchets it helps if you open them up and clean the teeth. that prevents slippage which wears the teeth.
Doesn't hurt to put a little grease or oil in there too.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Doesn't hurt to put a little grease or oil in there too.

the teeth are so fine that grease would make it worse. I keep them clean and use a light oil.
ymmv

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have one of those little ratchet handles - mine was made by New Britain for NAPA...handy tool.

Harbor Freight ratchets have come a long ways. I feel that they are still fairly easy to break but at least they're a lot more refined now... I have a couple of their "Pittsburgh Professional" flex heads that are pretty decent. Will they hold up over time though? Doubtful.

Who else has a drawer full of ratchets? I bet I've got at least 50 of all makes and models.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Need help here...

Years ago or rather decades ago, one of my neighbors had a ratchet that was double headed.

One side had a 1/2 inch and the other side had 3/8 drives. Handle came to a point.

Never seen another and would like to get one, what are they called and where can I get one?

Thanks

Ray

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Need help here...

Years ago or rather decades ago, one of my neighbors had a ratchet that was double headed.

One side had a 1/2 inch and the other side had 3/8 drives. Handle came to a point.

Never seen another and would like to get one, what are they called and where can I get one?

Thanks

Ray
I see those around, usually at random places like the impulse buy section at auto parts stores, near the cash registers between the candybars and crappy flashlights. Hardware store might have em as well...I cant recall which one I saw them at, it was either DIY, ACE, Lowes, or the orange depot...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I have one of those little ratchet handles - mine was made by New Britain for NAPA...handy tool.

Harbor Freight ratchets have come a long ways. I feel that they are still fairly easy to break but at least they're a lot more refined now... I have a couple of their "Pittsburgh Professional" flex heads that are pretty decent. Will they hold up over time though? Doubtful.

Who else has a drawer full of ratchets? I bet I've got at least 50 of all makes and models.
my ratchets stay w/ their drives drawer. I have dedicated 3/8",1/2" and 1/4" drive drawers, anything bigger goes in the 1/2" drawer. I have started purging some tools, including ratchets. Maybe if I give enough away to friends they will stop coming here to work on their cars.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals