• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gearing for 44" tires?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and comparing a 289 to a 4.0 isnt even a comparison, i personally believe the 289 was the MOST reliable v8 ford EVER produced, even more so the a 302(which is based on the 289), it produces ALOT more torque, has no emissions equipment, has 2 more cylinders and has a much lower powerband, where as your 4.0 sure it makes decent power and torque, but the gearin u will need and the rpm u will need to run the motor at ocnstatly to make it even POSSIBLE would quickly kill your 4.0 as well.....
The early 302's were just a stroked 289 and thus had more everything powerwise, but shortly after they came out the smog stuff started coming down and knocked them down to being a pooch, which is what the vast majority of 302's were made as.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The early 302's were just a stroked 289 and thus had more everything powerwise, but shortly after they came out the smog stuff started coming down and knocked them down to being a pooch, which is what the vast majority of 302's were made as.
i was doing the comparison of the 289 to a 4.0, the only comparison of the 302 to a 289 was as far as reliability, which the 289 wins out on

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was doing the comparison of the 289 to a 4.0, the only comparison of the 302 to a 289 was as far as reliability, which the 289 wins out on
I was just saying that aside from .13" of crankshaft throw there isn't much of a difference between the 289 and a early 302, reliablity should be similar as well, until the 302 got mucked up later on.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but how many of those older 302's are floating around, i know for a certainty most 302's that get swapped into rangers are always newer and as u say mucked up, even 80's mustang 302's had emission equipment while carburated

arkantor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok I have some input on this as I know someone with a truck on 44’s on a Dana 44 and 8.8. It’s an F-150 with a 351, T-18, 1356, and the Dana 44 and 8.8 with 4.56’s open spinning 44’s. He bought the truck to use the platform for putting one tons under it, as it needs then bad. Not only is he pushing the axles but the drive shafts and t-case.

He only DD’s the damn thing as he knows it will blow up if he tries to take it into the woods. He has already blown the rear pulling out of a gas station.

WE all told him not to buy the damn thing but he did anyway. I mean why DD a huge truck what will get shitty gas mileage? But if he does put 1 tons under it my thoughts of the truck will change.

So please take our advice, putting 44” rubber on ½ ton axles is just flat out dumb.
I have seen the truck It looks special none the less. Why would you want 44's anyways? Put something smaller on so you can actually use the truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but how many of those older 302's are floating around, i know for a certainty most 302's that get swapped into rangers are always newer and as u say mucked up, even 80's mustang 302's had emission equipment while carburated
How many 289's are still floating around?

By mucked up I mean the mid 70's to mid 80's 150ish hp 302. There for awhile the emissions stuff really took the bite out of them in stock form, and they really cheapened them up inside and out.

At any rate none of this really has a whole lot to do with the topic at hand, I probably shouldn't have even brought it up.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
here.....ill make it coincide, EVEN if u had a 289 or a 302 it would just explode faster from more power to the rear wheels which = more stress

arkantor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Can we take bets on what blows first?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i take the 8.8 and i say 2 weeks

granted that may be giving to much credit in itself.......

i still question whether it will ever be done

madmax401

Reaction score
Hey ignerntkneece , id listen to these guys if i were you.the guys here care about their members ....and well some of them have some cool and wild ass rides,but they built them to hold up to what theyre gonna be using it for. if you lock that rear up on the road and slam into somebody and cause an accident, depending on the extent of the injuries to the other people.......im thinking vehicular homiside. just be safe. we all wanna have fun today and be able to have fun again tomorrow. thats all im sayin.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1974 302 im gunna put in my truck, alot lot better than the new shit, any way my budie had a 90 ranger with 3/4 ton axles with 42'' swompers and we always broke shit,so much we ran the axles right out from under it one night wheelin, all i have to say have fun brakin all the time.

ignerntkneece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't plan on just buying just gears for my stock 8.8, i mean a mustang has an 8.8 under it hell most people change the irs out from under a 03-04 cobra and put a 8.8. and the bottom end in them cars can hold 1000 hp! on a 8.8 rear end. whats the big difference? 170 hp and 44s against 6, 7, 8 hundred hp and drag slics? i plan on puttin mosier axles front and rear! this ain't gonna be no trail rig... its just gonna be a weekend warrior. i mean if i start breakin alot i'll have to upgrade, i just asked a simple question cause i figured yall knew a little bought stuff like that. I have learned what i have to do and i plan on doin it in about 6 months when i pay my 2002 king ranch f-150 off. Oh i live in SOUTH CAROLINA for those who asked!!! u want some come get some!!!

Last edited:

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i don't plan on just buying just gears for my stock 8.8, i mean a mustang has an 8.8 under it hell most people change the irs out from under a 03-04 cobra and put a 8.8. and the bottom end in them cars can hold 1000 hp! on a 8.8 rear end. whats the big difference? 170 hp and 44s against 6, 7, 8 hundred hp and drag slics? i plan on puttin mosier axles front and rear! this ain't gonna be no trail rig... its just gonna be a weekend warrior. i mean if i start breakin alot i'll have to upgrade, i just asked a simple question cause i figured yall knew a little bought stuff like that. I have learned what i have to do and i plan on doin it in about 6 months when i pay my 2002 king ranch f-150 off. Oh i live in SOUTH CAROLINA for those who asked!!! u want some come get some!!!
44's under a Ranger, it can be done, but it is going to take a bit of work. As for the Ford 8.8 holding up, the larger tire size is like putting a long breaker bar on your axle shaft, horse power is not needed to break stuff. If you swapped in a 31 spline Ford 8.8 with chromoly shafts, you could probably get away with 40's, but that is a little bit of a stretch. As for the D44 holding up in front, it will hold up until you put it into 4WD.

I am actually planning on building up my Mazda with the target tire size being around 40's. The front axle needs to be pushed forward, as does the rear axle to maintain a reasonable turning radius. Steering should be either hydro assist (recommended for street vehicles) or full hydro (if you want to put a bunch of money into it). Gearing, go as deep as you can, would recommend running a doubler. As far as suspension, that is kinda up to you, I just recommend keeping it as low as possible for stability.

I have been pulling parts together for my rig for some time now. I have a completely dressed 5.0, an NP435, a BW1356, an NP205, and a set of D60's. Even with all of these parts, I figure that it will still take between $20,000 to $25,000 to put my rig together the way I want it.

It can be done, just takes a bit of research/time/money/work to pull it all together.

hick

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual

Sure an 8.8 can hold up to 1000HP when its spinning drag slicks in an application that doesnt have intense shock loads when spinning tires and wheels that are designed to be as light as possible.

But think about what will happen when you have a tiny 8.8 or D44 with 300lbs of spinning tire and wheel on it and one side grabs. :badidea:

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I have some input on this as I know someone with a truck on 44’s on a Dana 44 and 8.8. It’s an F-150 with a 351, T-18, 1356, and the Dana 44 and 8.8 with 4.56’s open spinning 44’s. He bought the truck to use the platform for putting one tons under it, as it needs then bad. Not only is he pushing the axles but the drive shafts and t-case.

He only DD’s the damn thing as he knows it will blow up if he tries to take it into the woods. He has already blown the rear pulling out of a gas station.

WE all told him not to buy the damn thing but he did anyway. I mean why DD a huge truck what will get shitty gas mileage? But if he does put 1 tons under it my thoughts of the truck will change.

So please take our advice, putting 44” rubber on ½ ton axles is just flat out dumb.
Actually I think he only has a 302, I was talking to him the other day and he said that he's planning on building a 347 out of it because he cooked his engine.

44's are too much tire for 1/2 ton axles, period.

This list should give you a pretty good idea about what kind of tires different axles can handle. If you want to waste your money and buy stuff for axles that are going to blow up, go for it, that's your choice. Why do you think people are trying to talk you into bigger axles? Just to rip you a new one?
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axleguide.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals