• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gear Help

Wyant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2002 Ford Ranger 4x4 manual transmission, 4.0L V6. I put a 3" body lift on it last year and just put new 33x12.50's on. It is fine to drive but ive lost a bit of power with the larger tires and am getting about 15mpg's at best. I do a bit of offroading in the deep snow mostly. They have the stock gears and i don't know what ratio that is or anything. It would be nice to re-gear it but i don't know what size to install and how expensive it would be or if it is something that i could do myself. Also if it would be beneficial to just put an exhaust system/air intake etc to boost horse power instead. Body lifts are pretty popular and so are 33x12.50's so i assume there are some people that have experience with this that can give me some advice/info on this.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
all the gear and tires charts are in the Tech Library. click the link in the dark blue link right under the TRS banner at the top of the page.
otherwise, the re-gear would get you the most performance but probably the most expensive. for your size tires and driving needs, i'd go with 4.56 gears. and along with those, i'd have a locker installed in the rear axle. estimates for buying those things and having them installed will vary with where you live, but i'd figure about $2000, give or take. not cheap, but it will make lots easier on the rest of your drive train as well as easier for you to drive.
just my $.02.

btw, WELCOME to TRS!!

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Econo regear

"Wyant",

It is intirely possible that you can not only find the parts you need used in a wrecking yard or on Ebay for less than $200 total. There will be a degree of luck involved, since the bearings could be shot in the donor axles but it is possible.

You can read up on the subject, have someone around to offer assistance and will only require a good foot pound torque wrench and inch pound torque wrench to accomplish the job with PROFESSIONAL results.

:icon_idea:I did my first regear with the advice of my freind, the 2 torque wrenches and a solid clean-up and inspection of the used bearings/gears. When I did this I acquired both the front and the rear axles, from brake to brake from a local wrecking yard. I tore them all down, cleaned all the parts and inspected them. I decided to use new bearings and seals to save time and money in the long run (PRUDENT). The used pinion and gears are still working today. I did this swap in 1996 (plus or minus 1 year).:shok:

If using all new components is up your alley, well, I see the good stuff with installation kits for around $300 per axle; $600... ISH, you are in business!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Wyant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Thanks guys, yea i'm pretty mechanically savvy but i don't want to risk screwing up my daily driver. Its really frustrating not having a locker. The new tires dig really well but its no use when only one wheel is turning. Suggestions on whether to put the locker in the front rear or both?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
"strvger",

Your point is well taken; to elaborate on my "finding a used set of gears in a wrecking yard or Ebay" comment. I am referring to a used set of Ford LS 4:10's. I have seen some used 4.56 stuff go in that price range too but not coupled with a Detriot locker set up. If what I wrote made you think that I am suggesting that sets of Yukon/Auburn new with Detriot peripherials are falling from the heavens then, I need to work on my communication skills.:icon_cheers:

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
when you say you are getting 15mpg, is that compensating for the increased distance you are traveling with larger tires? if not, you're probably getting about the same gas mileage that you were before...

that being said, I would still suggest 4.56 or 4.88 gears

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no problem Gaz. guess it really depends on where you live. here, parts yards are nearly empty of cars and trucks older than 1998 and when you drive a 1st gen truck you usually end up going new parts or out of state on ebay or craigs list. you are correct about buying used as i got my Detroit here on TRS in the classifieds for only $200 shipped, iirc. a really great deal and i felt very, very lucky when i got it. so, it does happen, but only rarely for me.

Wyant, for 33 inch tires, i just don't think 4.10's would do the job. might even see an increase in mileage with the 4.56's. i did and with only 31 inch tires. not sure i'd do a locker in the front axle. you'll loose some turning radius probably, and they seem to be a little harder on the components up there from my experience. so, for the rear, i'd get an original style Detroit Locker, not the new style that is similar to the LockRight. you'll pay more for it, but be lots happier with it, imho.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals