• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gas tank

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I found this little sensor thing on the top of the tank right after the hose to fill it up with and it has a littke line on it does anyone know what it is called?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
White one, ribs on it, about 1.5 ish inches across.

It is just the evap fitting, runs up to the carbon canister.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
White one, ribs on it, about 1.5 ish inches across.

It is just the evap fitting, runs up to the carbon canister.
Yea it runs all the way up to the carbon canister. I took that out and I havent had any pressure build up could that be my problem for the pressure build-up?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Could there be anything possibly wrong with my gas tank that would not let the gas nozzle stop automatically? Also, is pressure buildup normal? Do any of you guys have pressure build up in the gas tank?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Some pressure in the tank is normal. That is why that warning about opening the gas cap slowly is on there.

Excessive pressure can be a since of a faulty cap or a blocked evap line. The gas tank builds pressure as the fuel vaporizes in the tank. The evap system is there to link the tank to the carbon canister and capture that vapor so that it can be introduced into the engine later and used instead of just lost to evaporation.

The gas cap is designed to only allow so much pressure to build up in the tank just in case. Once a certain pressure is reached it acts like a blow off valve. If either, or both, mechanism is not working right it will cause pressure build up while the vehicle sits.

If the vent line is blocked it will cause excessive pressure during refueling, but I don't think that is your problem as the main noticeable symptom is an inability to refuel. The pump will kick off after 1.5 gallons or so. IIRC you have the exact opposite problem.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I can fill my truck all the way up but when the gas gets up in the filler neck the gas pump wont shut off at the gas station. And the pressure buildup is a good bit. When i open it up even slowly its pretty loud when it comes out. The vacuum line is hooked up so i dont see hhow it could be stopped up.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Maybe you need a new cap...they are vented...at least mine is...and I don't have a pressure problem...

EDIT: never mind...I just read your post again...do you fill up at the same station all the time? The pumps shut off no matter where I fill up...sometimes they shut off for no reason...other than maybe I pointed the nozzle directly at the filler neck and it sensed the back pressure...

EditII: Have you tried sticking it in just a bit and wiggling it around...I mean the gas pump nozzle...

Last edited:

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I think the cap is good i got a paper clip and pushed down on the hole in it and it moved. The vacum line is hooked up so i dont see how it could be stoppes up.

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
do you hold the handle down till the gas comes sprying out of the tank? because it won't kick out untill its full. or my 87 ranger i have a hard time putting gas in it because all it dose is kick out.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes i hold it till then but i dont squeeze the trigger all the way because i dont want gas to go everywhere.

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So your stopping it before it gets that full? Your truck has nothing to do with it! They kick out if you fill a gas can or any kind of container. Maybe it’s the gas station your going too?

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Maybe you have a leak in the top of your gas tank. It wouldn't be able to buildup pressure then.

I looked in the Chilton's for your truck, and the tank should be 15 gallons.

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
they don't use pressure to shut off. when i fill my gas can that has a 3" opening at the top and the gas nozzel its 3/4 of an inch there is not pressure builing up in there! but it shuts off when the gas reaches the end of the nozzel

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
It doesnt have a leak cause it builds up a good bit of pressure i think more than normal pressure. The cap is good cause i pushed the little thing in and it worked. I took it to anothere gas station today and when i was feeling it up i had the handle squeezed all the way and gas just started coming out and it still didnt shut off there has to be something wrong with my truck.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I think i might have found some of my trouble. I was going to take the only vacuum line off of the take and try to blow some compressed air through it to see it it was stopped up it was stopped up but not by trash. I was going down the frame and unsnapping the line from the clips and i couldnt get it unsnapped at one caus it didnt have any slack in it so i kept looking and found out it was pinched under the upper frame rail fuel pump mounting bracket so the line is flat in that little spot. So i guess i have to get another line. Whats my best bet of getting another one of these vacuum lines? junk yard? And also could this line being pinched cause both my problems or just one or neither of these problems? thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals