• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gas guage problem

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 84 Ranger std cab 108" wheelbase 4x4. The sending unit in the tank is bad. Replacements are not available to my knowledge. I have seen some universal sending units out there but none seem to have the port where the main fuel line hooks to? Anybody have any tips/setups on how to get a gas gage to work and what kit will work? Just need to see my fuel level...thanks alot.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a trip to the salvage yard. They can check all the yards in their network for one and have it delivered if you are willing to pay a bit extra.

kx1254real

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My gas guage doesnt work either so i just fill it up every 200 miles. probably didn't help much but just thought i'd put it out there.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My gas guage doesnt work either so i just fill it up every 200 miles. probably didn't help much but just thought i'd put it out there.
Actually, that's what I do too, but I assumed 88mudder had higher standards than either of us.:icon_thumby:

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
looks like ive found a sending unit at the junkyard, picking it up in a day or 2.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
still cant find anything after calling every junkyard in MI. Looks like an 84 BroncoII unit is very similar just longer. I plan on cutting the tube shorter to match the Ranger length.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
anybody got any tips on what universal sending unit to buy? Im really stuck and need some advice. Thanks.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So far they are good. They fixed my unit the day they got it in the mail. Everything on it had to be replaced, thats how bad it was..so it cost me a good amount but its my only option without lots of modification. They put a new style rheostat in it, GM style wiring harness, new float, strainer, fuel line etc and cleaned it all up and coated it. I will be getting it back Saturday. I would say it should be better than new.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's well worth buying a quality part since it would be a hassle to have to tear the bed off again. I tried to reuse an almost new clutch slave and ended up pulling the trans a second time. Never again.:headbang:

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Great company and quality work! New unit works great and is right on accurate. I would recommend Tri Star to anybody. They cover return shipping and warranty wiring harnesses for 90 days and shipping took only 3 days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals