• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

full width sas steering question.

1985Ranger124

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I was looking for steering kits for a full width dana 44 swap and found a very limited amount. The one i did find is from ballistic fab. I was wondering if I should buy a 3/4 inch kit or 7/8 inch kit and also is there any other place that makes kits cause i have heard some very bad stuff about ballistic.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
7/8 kit, the 3/4 kit's ends are very thin in material around the ball....Ruffstuff Also sells a similar kit
SVT

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Go with 7/8" stuff.

RuffStuff, polyperformance, or WFO-Concepts.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I run the 7/8 Ballistic Kit. You will need to get the 7/8 kit because it uses 3/4" bolts. Once you drill out the knuckles and pitman, the 3/4 bolt works great. The 3/4" kit used a smaller bolt and the taper hole was already that big.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

PartsMike set me up. Great guy to deal with.

Machined knuckle(flat top for high steer), high steer arms, rod ends, and links were $543.

http://www.partsmike.com/

-Jester

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
That's exactly what my dad is gonna run on his narrowed D44. We've bought stuff through PartsMike as well, good knowledgeable people to work with and pretty good prices too.

1985Ranger124

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 V6
Transmission
Manual
59bisquik I noticed how you ran your steering was different than in the picture on ballistic fabs site, , The setup on your passenger side is stacked on top of the knuckle rather than just the drag link on top. Just wanted to know what the reason was for this cause im trying to think how im doing my setup.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I put them both on the top for better ground clearance and a better steering angle. I also added an extra bracket to the knuckle to make it a double shear.
And yes, before the peanut gallery chimes in, I have the correct specialty rod to weld mild steel to cast steel.

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I put them both on the top for better ground clearance and a better steering angle. I also added an extra bracket to the knuckle to make it a double shear.
And yes, before the peanut gallery chimes in, I have the correct specialty rod to weld mild steel to cast steel.
1.25" OD tubing or 1.5"? Looks beefy.

Do the heims there in double shear on the passenger knuckle ever have any clearance issues with each other as the suspension cycles and the draglink becomes more parallel to the tie-rod? Just curious...

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Lego...
Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. Its .250 wall 1.5" DOM tubing. As for interference, both joints have the misalignment bushings in them and there is actually plenty of room all thru the flex cycle. There are not rub marks on any of the parts. In the pic, it looks a little tighter than it actually is. I am very happy with how it works!

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
stock pitman arm? i would like to bring my tie rod to the bottom of the pitman arm because i my steering has some bind at full droop, even with the high misalignments. but then id have to move my trackbar mount on the axle, not looking forward to that, more like im tooo lazy, lol. any problems with the diff/drag link being to close to the pitman arm/tie rod at full bump? maybe ill just wait until i get the d60 to move the steering/trackbar.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Im sorry, thats a 4" Skyjacker pitman arm. I totally forgot I switched that out years ago.

As you can see, I did relocate my trac-bar to the top of the axle for better angle. As for binding, I have no issues, I am very happy with the way it performs.

1freaky1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just ordered the 1 ton crossover kit from RuffStuff last Friday, waiting to see how it works out. Was not a bad deal since the ranger is a DD ride and wanted to stay with TREs. It cost $265 shipped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals