• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pump

Evil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 & 2000
Engine Size
4.2 & 4.6
Transmission
Automatic
Walbro 255 HP. Make sure its the HP unit.

Though you're going to hit a brick wall with your returnless system no matter how big of a pump you put in since your fuel pressure stays constant.

JessHwarren found that out and swapped to a return style system, many problems solved that way.
Pressure isn't constant, pressure drop is constant... just like with a return system. There is a transducer on the rail that reads fuel pressure and an intake vacuum/boost reference port. There is no problem with even 25# of boost.. then it gets a little harder because you can blow the fuel pressure sensor. Some guys are making 800+ RWHP with twin Focus pumps in a Returnless systems. Generally over that and it's easier to switch to a return style but look at the GT40 Supercar or the 03/04 Cobras; they are supercharged and Returnless...no brick walls there.

D94R

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the clearifications Evil.

I don't doubt the Ranger system isn't up to par with making good power, I'm just basing my info off of what has already been done and tried.

You also can't compare the GT40's or 03/04 Cobras in a scenario like this. Their system was designed around boosted applications and their returnless systems are based on those requirements. You couldn't take the Ranger system and use it on those cars.

Evil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 & 2000
Engine Size
4.2 & 4.6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the clearifications Evil.
You also can't compare the GT40's or 03/04 Cobras in a scenario like this. Their system was designed around boosted applications and their returnless systems are based on those requirements. You couldn't take the Ranger system and use it on those cars.
Ford (or any other car maker for that matter) does not like to produce line specific parts. The same parts that are on the GT40 and Cobra are on my 4.6 GT and my 3.8 V6. (At least the ones we are talking about) I can't confirm, but I would reckon that the same Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor and FDPM are on the trucks... Not saying that the complete system is the same, it most likely is not; but fueling (other then getting the correct pump and injectors) should not be an issue when boosting the returnless trucks... Rods and Pistons, well... that's another story. ;)

I don't know what problems Jess was having, I've been gone since he came around, but that stock computers and fuel system should be fine with boost. You just have to adjust all the scalars to see more than 100% load (VE).

Edit... Hey didn't I sell you a 2.3 computer once?

Last edited:

D94R

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ford (or any other car maker for that matter) does not like to produce line specific parts. The same parts that are on the GT40 and Cobra are on my 4.6 GT and my 3.8 V6. (At least the ones we are talking about) I can't confirm, but I would reckon that the same transducer and FDPM are on the trucks... Not saying that the complete system is the same, it most likely is not; but fueling (other then getting the correct pump and injectors) should not be an issue when boosting the returnless trucks... Rods and Pistons, well... that's another story. ;)

I don't know what problems Jess was having, I've been gone since he came around, but that stock computers and fuel system should be fine with boost. You just have to adjust all the scalars to see more than 100% load (VE).

Edit... Hey didn't I sell you a 2.3 computer once?
True, I was thinking on my own that even Ford would have tailord the fuel system differently for N/A vs Power adder needs. You know more about the returnless though so I'll just go with you on this since mine is a 94 and I've never dealt with the problems first hand. I wish Jess would chime in.

Don't think you sold me a computer, though to be truthful I can't remember where I got my LA2 from. If you sold it on here then no,... if on turboford... then maybe :icon_confused:

Evil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 & 2000
Engine Size
4.2 & 4.6
Transmission
Automatic
Don't think you sold me a computer, though to be truthful I can't remember where I got my LA2 from. If you sold it on here then no,... if on turboford... then maybe :icon_confused:
Yeah I sold it from Turbo Ford...

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, where is this transducer usually mounted? I'll have to look closer at my two spare newer engines as I don't remember seeing anything attached to the fuel rail.

How big is this thing?

Evil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 & 2000
Engine Size
4.2 & 4.6
Transmission
Automatic
Not Sure Dave... I just click it as one of the things to monitor when I datalog... Maybe it is inferred from the pump voltage? There is adaptive learning for the fuel tables so maybe it is a % of full voltage to maintain the correct pressure drop across the injectors?

Drinks and sleep deprivation have me groggy... I'll look into it tomorrow.

Evil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 & 2000
Engine Size
4.2 & 4.6
Transmission
Automatic
I might have to eat some Crow....

I still have not checked into it but I saw someone on another board refer to the explorers and that how in their returnless systems they use a fixed duty cycle pump with a regulator in the tank... Like you had indicated.

I have a dvd with all the car and truck manuals on it. I'll see if I can remember to look at it and check for sure...

Just go out and pull your girls truck apart and let us know :) or is it too cold up there now? I see the temps are below freezing at night. Man I don't miss that. When working on the car this weekend I did put on a long sleeve shirt in the morning because it was like 60*

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals