• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pump

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
which one of these suckers is the starter relay... I can't tell cause my wires look like those lil fire work snakes after you set em on fire!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Follow the battery positive cable- it goes to the starter relay.

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
She's runnin! I replaced the relay on the greenplug with a a universal relay and she runs just like its supposed to. Now that it runs I have to fix a small fuel leak from around the fuel filter canister and mount all the fuel components back down...

Its also smokin a good bit... maybe because it set up for so long... I'll run it for a while and see if it clears up. If not is there anything i can do to calm the smoking or should i just stick a nicotine patch on the side and be done with it? As soon as my camera charges I'll show you what things look like.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Good deal, and congratulations. The nicotine gum also helps, and let's see those pics!

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The problem... which i believe ultimately caused the failure of the pump.

The fix... I still have to rewire the other relay that is toast in the picture.

My $200 beater truck! SaaaWeet!

Now all i gotta do is add a 12inch body lift and 65 inch tractor tires and she'll be ready to go!

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You did a good job adapting the universal relay in place of the stocker. Looks to me like you got a hell of a deal on that truck; it actually looks pretty nice- way to go!

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
preciate it! The PO took the fuel filter out and when they put the it back in the shredded the o-ring . Needless to say that when I turned the pump on it started pumpin fuel onto the ground. Other than that i noticed that the steering wheel is a lil loose. It needs tightening. and I'm not sure but I'm gunna guess that the proportioning valve is shot. I drove it about 20 feet to park it in a diffeent spot and i tapped the brakes and it locked up the rear passenger wheel. Whats up with that? tips?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it's been sitting a lot, may just be crud on the drums, kinda like what you found on the harness connectors. Get it to where you can drive it a little, and see if the "grabbiness" goes away after working the brakes for a little while.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As for loose steering, there is ONE adjustment to tighten a very specific problem, but I strongly recommend against screwing with it.

Any looseness aside from inside the power steering gear itself requires something to be replaced. It's a good idea to replace the power steering gear if it's loose as well. Meshload adjustments are VERY tricky and it's, shall we say, hairy to drive with it overtightened. I've only seen one reliable report of success tightening that on this board.

Give the truck a thorough front end inspection and figure out where the looseness is coming from. It can help to have a buddy turn the steering for you while you look to see where it's loose. This should be done with the engine off and the tires on the ground -- just have your buddy turn the wheel until he feels significant resistance, and then go the other way.

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Nah, the steering itself is fine... feels nice. The problem is that if you grab the steering wheel at 12 oclock and push forward and pull back the wheel moves about a 1/4 inch... I didnt look to see if it was tilt wheel or not... did the 88 have tilt? I know my 91 and 93 didnt. It feels like the tilt is loose a lil bit.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I think gen1's did have a tilt option, but may be just a loose steering wheel nut. Just need to take a look at it.

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yup... Ill be giving it a good once over before I take it out tonight for a test drive.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think gen1's did have a tilt option, but may be just a loose steering wheel nut. Just need to take a look at it.
The steering wheel should have a (fairly weak) interference fit onto the shaft.

Loose nut behind the wheel....yeah, that's it.
:tease:

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual

I hate when my nuts get loose! I'll check it tonight when i get home after I dig the bare metal brake pad out of my g/fs brake disc... ! Urg~! She decided to wait a week to tell me her brakes were grinding!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Good one, MAKG. And don't laugh; every Ranger that I have personally driven myself has had that exact problem.

:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals