• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump won't shut off

carcraft302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
putting 5.0 in 97 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well I finally got the Egine back in and hooked up and it runs GREEEEAT:yahoo:. I now have oil pressure! The problem I now have is that the fuel pump won't shut off when I turn the key off and remove it from the Ignition. I need to disconect the battery, the green conector or the fuel pump realy in the fuse box to turn the pump off.:icon_confused: Is there a pressure shut off switch or any clues would be a help. I have gone through the wiring manuel etc and can't seem to locate a mistake. Anybody got any clues.:sad: It seems like I go from one problem to another. Took me a while to figure out I needed a ciruit breaker instead of a fuse to power my fans but now they are up and running. I replaced the relay in the fuse box. As soon as I connect the battery the relay clicks on and the pump turns on and won't shut off!

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
My sister's Exploder was doin the same thing. Did it off and on for a bout a week. The last time it wouldn't shut off I pulle the fuel pump relay and wacked it on the inner fender a few times... lol stuck it back and it's been about a month now hasn't done it again.:icon_twisted:
I'd throw a relay in it. They're about ten bucks I think.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You should have it wired to a switched 12 volt source. It sounds like you've got it wired to constant 12 volts.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My sister's Exploder was doin the same thing. Did it off and on for a bout a week. The last time it wouldn't shut off I pulle the fuel pump relay and wacked it on the inner fender a few times... lol stuck it back and it's been about a month now hasn't done it again.:icon_twisted:
I'd throw a relay in it. They're about ten bucks I think.
Yeah, this is a possibility too. There are two other relays right next to the fuel pump relay. Try swapping one of them in there and see if it stops.

carcraft302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
putting 5.0 in 97 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
fuel pump won't shut off

I changed out the relay ($12.95). I know it is the right relay because the fuel pump shut off when the relay was pulled. I used the Dark green/yellow wire that the ranger uses to power up the relay for the fuel pump. It goes through the C124 connector and is wired through the inertial shut off switch. Goes through the green conector into the computer. I am thinkking about splicing into the wire and hiding a toggle switch under the dash as an anti theft measure!:icon_twisted:

carcraft302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
putting 5.0 in 97 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
fuel pump won't shut off

Well I narrowed down the source activating the relay (by pulling fuses etc) to the 15 amp fuse for the PCM memory power located in about the middle of the fuse box on the driver side. Anybody know how I can fiure out if it is the PCM or something else? :icon_confused: I bought the PCM and Harness as a set from ford racing. Or maybe I didn't hook something up I should of. Oh well. May run down to the junk yard and get one, put it in and see if that solves the issue!

carcraft302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
putting 5.0 in 97 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
fuel pump won't shut off

:yahoo: The the PCM Memory ciuruet isn't used and I just pulled the fuse and my fuel pump problem is a solved problem!:yahoo: A day or so ago I felt lost and like a motherless child. Got out all my destructions and wiring diagrams and realized that that is a dead ciruit. I am not sure where it gounded out at but thank God it is solved. I HATE WIRING:icon_twisted: I really want to thank Jesus this worked, I was at my wits end and seems like a little grace got me through as is so often the case!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals