• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pump Issues

edwards1687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just got finished up with the Duraspark conversion to went to give it a crank, it's trying to turn over but won't start. First thing I did is crack the line to the carb and to my surprise no fuel is getting to the carb. I just put a new fuel pump on, dropped and cleaned the tank and put a new sending unit in there. My initial thought was plugged line or faulty pump. So I took the rubber hose off the sending that goes the tank and stuck it in a bottle full of gas and it wasn't pumping anything out. I removed the fuel pump and cranked the motor and the pushrod is moving in and out properly. I also did have some fuel in the fuel pump when I took it off. I called Airtex techincial support and they said either a bad pump or the pushrod could be worn and if slightly off it won't pump properly. Have any you guys ever had this problem? It seems that you can't really mess up installing it and it's hard to believe that the push rod is worn? I think I may just pick up a new pump and pushrod and give it a go. I just wanna get this thing running. :icon_confused:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I am no fan of Airtex pumps. Is it warrantied? If not, I would suggest getting a Carter.

Posting whilst sitting upon the throne.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have had to prime mechanical fuel pumps before.

Remove fuel line from carb, fill line with fuel, I used a larger rubber hose that fit over the line and funnel.
Put line back on carb but not tight, turn over engine, without spark, watch for fuel and air coming out, put towel under it :)
Once most of the air is replaced by fuel, tighten it up and try to start engine.

I guess a fuel pump push rod could wear out but I would think you would notice that on one end.
Defective pump would be more likely, new doesn't mean "it works" anymore, new now mean "never tested", lol, sad but true.

edwards1687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have had to prime mechanical fuel pumps before.

Remove fuel line from carb, fill line with fuel, I used a larger rubber hose that fit over the line and funnel.
Put line back on carb but not tight, turn over engine, without spark, watch for fuel and air coming out, put towel under it :)
Once most of the air is replaced by fuel, tighten it up and try to start engine.

I guess a fuel pump push rod could wear out but I would think you would notice that on one end.
Defective pump would be more likely, new doesn't mean "it works" anymore, new now mean "never tested", lol, sad but true.
Thanks for the tip I will have to give that a shot :icon_thumby:

I ended up picking up a new fuel pump pushrod, for the price I figured it was worth changing while I was in there. Rockauto is sending me a new fuel pump no questions asked. I should have everything back together by mid week.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mechanical pumps can be a bear to prime. If you have access to a vacuum pump you can suck the fuel through to get some fuel into the pump. If you fill the carb with fuel it will allow the motor to run for a little while which will also help. Jacking up the ass end might also help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals