• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front "live axle" CV axle interchange?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm preparing to gather parts to convert my 99 from PVH to live axle. To do this, at minimum I will need to swap out CV axles and hubs to the later style. I may also be swapping knuckles to get the larger brakes from the 2004+ Rangers, but that will probably wait until next time I need brakes.

I know that the CV axles and hubs changed when they changed from the PVH hubs to lives axle in ~mid 2000. I had assumed that axles and wheel bearings were the same from the change through 2011. Looking at parts applications on RockAuto, it would appear that there is a separation between 2001-2002 and 2003+ on both the hubs and CV axles.

I know that there was some 2 wheel abs and 4 wheel abs variations, but I'm strictly looking at 4wheel abs stuff.

Anyone know what changed here or if the parts are in fact interchangable on all the live axle trucks. If there is in fact a difference, I want to make sure I get parts that work together and will fit the 2004+ knuckles since that is the ultimate goal.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why are you doing that? I am converting my 03 to the 98-99 style so I can have lockout hubs.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Many reasons. I want to being the biggest.

The lock out hubs available for the 98-00 style axles are super weak. I won't say that you can sneeze on them and break the, but that wouldn't be far off the mark. The last one I broke was from a stick hitting it while driving down the road. The county ditch mowers had slung a 6-10" chunk of a limb, maybe 1-1.5" diameter up into the road. Saw.it, but due to traffic couldn't drive around it like I normally would. Hit it, which shouldn't have been an issue, it popped up and hit the locker which proceeded to exit stage left.

Prior to that I had one or two break. They all physically broke off the truck, not just grenading the hub. Can't say it's the brand because it was at least two different brands, and all hubs for the 98-00 come off the same line and dropped in different boxes with different labels.

Other reasons include want to run wheels that won't fit with locking hubs and I intend to do an AWD V8 swap (I want AWD) and need live axles for that.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
on my 2000 live axle I upgraded to the 2004+ knuckles without changing the cv axles.
don't remember what year I used for the bearing hubs.

the difference maybe, possibly, might have been a slinger/dust shield???????? :dntknw:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is definitely a change in axles length around '08 when they lowered the 4wd Rangers by 2". The axles on both sides became ~6mm (1/4") shorter. (1/2" * 100k trucks/yr adds up for the bean counters).

Fortunately, unless you run your Ranger with extended shocks and torsion bars cranked, it really not an issue on older trucks.

Other than that, no difference from late '00 when they went to live axle to end of production in '11.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is definitely a change in axles length around '08 when they lowered the 4wd Rangers by 2". The axles on both sides became ~6mm (1/4") shorter. (1/2" * 100k trucks/yr adds up for the bean counters).
That's an interesting thought, but the listings show the same axles axles from 2003-2011, no change for 2008. Not saying there wasn't a change, just that it isn't reflected in the replacement parts.

That might actually be a significant difference for me. For lifting it might not make much difference, but lowering is going to compress rather than extend the axle. If it was already close to fully compressed at stock height, lowering might make it that much worse. I'll be lowering to some extent. Not slammed, but closer to 2008 height than 1999 height, if not lower.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I never noticed a difference on my 2011 when I did the pre-2008 key mod. Not to say there isn’t, it just hasn’t been a problem. Maybe it’s within the allowable tolerance range, so hasn’t been an issue?

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Many reasons. I want to being the biggest.

The lock out hubs available for the 98-00 style axles are super weak. I won't say that you can sneeze on them and break the, but that wouldn't be far off the mark. The last one I broke was from a stick hitting it while driving down the road. The county ditch mowers had slung a 6-10" chunk of a limb, maybe 1-1.5" diameter up into the road. Saw.it, but due to traffic couldn't drive around it like I normally would. Hit it, which shouldn't have been an issue, it popped up and hit the locker which proceeded to exit stage left.

Prior to that I had one or two break. They all physically broke off the truck, not just grenading the hub. Can't say it's the brand because it was at least two different brands, and all hubs for the 98-00 come off the same line and dropped in different boxes with different labels.

Other reasons include want to run wheels that won't fit with locking hubs and I intend to do an AWD V8 swap (I want AWD) and need live axles for that.
What brands did you use becuse that's not true at all about all of them being the same? Also I would put a junk AWD transfer case in it either.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What brands did you use becuse that's not true at all about all of them being the same?
AVM, Rugged Ridge, Mile Marker

They are all (not just those three, ALL) the same unless you can show me something else.

Also I didn't ask your opinion on the AWD transfer case. It isn't junk, the problems people have with it are because they try to use it for purposes other than what it was designed for and/or abused it.

Your intentions for your truck are much different than mine.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
AVM, Rugged Ridge, Mile Marker

They are all (not just those three, ALL) the same unless you can show me something else.

Also I didn't ask your opinion on the AWD transfer case. It isn't junk, the problems people have with it are because they try to use it for purposes other than what it was designed for and/or abused it.

Your intentions for your truck are much different than mine.
The AVMs and Rugged ridge ones are Identical but the Mile Markers that I have used are different and much better quality.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The AVMs and Rugged ridge ones are Identical but the Mile Markers that I have used are different and much better quality.
And those were mile markers for a '98 to 2000 Ford Ranger?

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And those were mile markers for a '98 to 2000 Ford Ranger?
Yes, there was a notable difference, and the clips to hold the hub on were much better, never had a MM hub come off.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
🤷‍♂️ The ones I had, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you took the labels off. Maybe different batches or revisions.

Doesn't really matter for me though. None of them will achieve what I'm after.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
I have a 2000 ranger, I am looking to swap the to live axle from an 00 explorer. I have new moog hubs picked out, but everywhere I look (auto parts stores), at cv axles, they all say that the 00 ranger and 00 explorer cv axles are interchangeable. I thought the explorer axle was supposed to be longer? If not, why wouldn’t I just use my original cv axles with the new hubs?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
outer CVs are different between live axles & pulse/manual.
the live ones have the threaded stub sticking out to secure the CV in the hub.
there are bearing surfaces and spline length issues too.
can't comment on length, don't know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals