• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front end Removal

Ga Leroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad has a 1986 Ranger that he won drag racing in Gainesville Florida. He drove it for years now he has given it to me. I have acquired a wrecked 1995 Mustang with a 5.0 HO engine with an auto transmission that I would like to drop into the Ranger. I have not gotten started yet and it will be a slow process so, at this time I'm just getting ideas.

I'll have several questions, here are a few;
1.) How can I remove the Ranger front end without damaging the fenders so they can be reused?
2.) Will the Mustang headers fit?
3.) I'll need all of the electronics from the mustang. Any advice here?

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1.) How can I remove the Ranger front end without damaging the fenders so they can be reused?
2.) Will the Mustang headers fit?
3.) I'll need all of the electronics from the mustang. Any advice here?

1. unbolt every bolt you find. then drill out every spot weld you find. Took me about 3-4 hours total to remove just about everything forward of the firewall, and above the frame. tools: socket set and drill

2. not a clue

3. make everything under the hood of the ranger look like the mustang. same for the wiring under the dash.

djkommando

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 ranger
Engine Size
306 HO
Transmission
Manual
for the front end removal its pretty easy til you get to the spot welds. remove hood, then grill. remove front marker lights. then remove the panel the lights were in. inner fenders have a bunch of screws along the curve and 2 in front below the headlights. remove side marker or just pull bulb and socket from inside, fenders have 1 bolt inside when you open the door towards the top, one straight down from the ranger emblem, 4 along the top and 2 on the outside of the headlights. remove hood latch and cable, detach wiring and drill out all the spot welds. that should cover it for the most part.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

Ga Leroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys thanks for the info. I saw the spot welds near the firewall. That's where I was uncertain about the front end removal.
As for the mustang headers, I believe they are stock. Thay are the short headers with dual exhaust. I can't wait to make the Ranger sound like all of the Mustangs. Wow!!!
I'm Sure the wiring diagrams will come in handy.

One more question. What will I need to upgrade the conventional fuel system to accomodate EFI?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals