• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Taurus 3.0 same as ranger? Or what eles will work besides a ranger 3.0

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's significantly more of a hassle, to the point that the only swap I'm aware of being done was 20 years ago. More than enough to tell somebody looking for a quick/easy/cheap swap that it 'won't work'.

Think before you speak.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's significantly more of a hassle, to the point that the only swap I'm aware of being done was 20 years ago. More than enough to tell somebody looking for a quick/easy/cheap swap that it 'won't work'.

Think before you speak.
First off, "will work" and "won't work" have two separate clear meanings. And I covered the "he may of meant this" point of view with:

Unless you were mentioning this to stave off confusion for the OP about the various 3.0's, in which case, my bad. :icon_thumby:
So follow your own advice.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
welp still no luck on finding an engine, the taurus was gettin cushsed as I pulled in :( So still in hopes of findin a whole truck for parts or something. I want this thing on the road as soon as possibe(reson for waitin on winter for my 5.0)

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, actually, it will. There was even a prototype 80's SHO Ranger. It's more of a hassle than swapping in another Vulcan, but it would work.

Unless you were mentioning this to stave off confusion for the OP about the various 3.0's, in which case, my bad. :icon_thumby:
I meant that it's not a direct bolt in. You can put any engine into any truck with enough time/money/work, but the OP seemed to be interested in replacing his Vulcan 3.0 with another Vulcan 3.0. Just wanted to stipulate that a 3.0 from a Taurus doesn't necessarily mean an engine that would drop in and bolt up in his truck.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I meant that it's not a direct bolt in. You can put any engine into any truck with enough time/money/work, but the OP seemed to be interested in replacing his Vulcan 3.0 with another Vulcan 3.0. Just wanted to stipulate that a 3.0 from a Taurus doesn't necessarily mean an engine that would drop in and bolt up in his truck.
Perfectly understandable.

To the OP- have you tried eBay? theres always decent engines on there, you'd just have to pay for shipping.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
First off, "will work" and "won't work" have two separate clear meanings. And I covered the "he may of meant this" point of view with:

So follow your own advice.
By that standard, ANY engine 'will work' in place of the 3.0, including every other RBV factory engine and even non-Ford engines.

The Yamaha 3.0/3.2 V6 engines used in the SHO Taurus are not simple replacement engines for a Vulcan 3.0. It is poor advice to suggest otherwise. Aside from dealing with intake rotation and all the other potential issues that have been discussed in previous threads about an SHO swap, one must deal with the wildly inappropriate gearing that would be found in a Ranger that came with a factory Vulcan engine compared with what it should have for an SHO engine.

The goal of this (and most threads) is to provide the OP with relevant advice to help solve their problem. Trying to tell them that an SHO engine will work as a swap is poorly thought out and unhelpful. If all you're trying to do is pad your post count (you've averaged about one post an hour ever since joining TRS), do it somewhere like the Tailgate.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
By that standard, ANY engine 'will work' in place of the 3.0, including every other RBV factory engine and even non-Ford engines.

The Yamaha 3.0/3.2 V6 engines used in the SHO Taurus are not simple replacement engines for a Vulcan 3.0. It is poor advice to suggest otherwise. Aside from dealing with intake rotation and all the other potential issues that have been discussed in previous threads about an SHO swap, one must deal with the wildly inappropriate gearing that would be found in a Ranger that came with a factory Vulcan engine compared with what it should have for an SHO engine.

The goal of this (and most threads) is to provide the OP with relevant advice to help solve their problem. Trying to tell them that an SHO engine will work as a swap is poorly thought out and unhelpful. If all you're trying to do is pad your post count (you've averaged about one post an hour ever since joining TRS), do it somewhere like the Tailgate.
I concede that I jumped the gun by mentioning the SHO V6, I had a certain train of thought going on when I posted earlier. Simple as that. At no point did Isuggest he DO a SHO swap either.

Also, I could give a flying crap about post count, and I don't much understand why anyone does aside from the same feeling you get when rolling your odometer past a milestone number, and alot of my post count has been from the Tailgate in the first place, not that it matters.

A PM would of been perfectly acceptable as opposed to cluttering this thread even more, by the way. I'm just following your lead at this point.

chrisab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L dual plug
Transmission
Automatic
BlueChariot you mentioned the DOHC motor in a ranger. I've always wondered about this swap. I just couldn't think of a rear drive trans that would work with it. Know of any?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you're getting into custom stuff, you can make a transaxle work on a longitudinal vehicle, several companies do it, for awd... basically your axle shafts would work as driveshafts, though shaft length and gearing becomes a huge issue then... i think some of the subarus use a similar setup, though a lot of their newer ones are completely different... honestly, that's probably more work than it's worth... i would go with any of the vulcan v6 motor... short of that, find any motor trans combo for a FR vehicle

the 3L you are looking for can be found in:
1987–1997 Ford Aerostar
1986–2007 Ford Taurus
1986–2005 Mercury Sable
1990–1992 Ford Probe
1991–2008 Ford Ranger
1992–1994 Ford Tempo
1992–1994 Mercury Topaz
1994–2007 Mazda B3000
1995–2001 Ford Windstar

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
be careful as the taurus had 3 different 3.0 engine blocks in it. with the 3.0 yamaha engine, to our beloved 3.0 vulcan engine, to the 3.0 duratec

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
would there be any power loss from the taurus engine?
My 2003 Ranger has about 10 HP/10-15 TQ more (although, thanks to different gearing, it doesn't feel like it, LOL) than my 1997 Taurus did, but that's just because my Ranger is newer. If they were both the same year, the power output would be the same.

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
welp still no luck on finding an engine, the taurus was gettin cushsed as I pulled in :( So still in hopes of findin a whole truck for parts or something. I want this thing on the road as soon as possibe(reson for waitin on winter for my 5.0)
Have you checked http://www.car-parts.com/ ?

A bunch of boneyards post their inventory in searchable format, and the search can be limited by zip code. You may have stuff available you didn't know about.
tom

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yea iv checked ever were I jus dont want to give 700+ for a wore out 6cly...ugh thought this thing would be a easy find...guss not.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seriously, the swap from a Taurus is not a huge deal. $700 around here gets you a 2007 from a Taurus with only 26k on the odometer. That thing might as well be brand new. Buy or borrow an engine stand and changing it to a RWD application should be straightforward.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0 is just hard to find in my parts. Ihave called ever junk yard around here onley luck I can have is 400-600 for one not knowing the miles or any of that.
the 5.0 swap is lookin pretty sweet from were I stand right now.:icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals