• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Explorer vs Jeep Cherokee

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm not sure I'd call the Ex's drivetrain inadequate myself (well maybe next to today's power standards it is). The auto trans seems to be it's only real sore spot, though I've read a number of reports the A4LD does quite well with a separate external cooler (which makes me tend to believe not so much that it's a weak tranny, but more of an issue with inadequate factory cooling). I don't have any personal experience with the auto though.
I guess maybe I should clarify. The M5OD is great, A4LD is not, and the Ford 4.0 is marginal in comparison to the Jeep 4.0 (even the pre-HO Renix ones.) My old Jeep was just a ballsy old fawker compared to any Ford V6 from the same era. The AW-4 and AX-15 transmissions seem to be pretty stout, but the AX-5 was not.

When I was working at the junkyard, it seemed like every single Explorer that came in either had a 4.0 with blown head gaskets or a bad A4LD. Most of the Jeeps from that era were just plain worn out all over but usually had much higher mileage, leading me to believe their drivetrain is more reliable.

Im not so savy on early sploders but dont they have optional v8s?
Nope, 4.0 only until 1995.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just stay away from 2000 era exploders. My 2003 is the biggest piece of junk vehicle I have ever owned.

My 92 grand cherokee ran forever with no problems. My 94 explorer was a money pit for the electrical. (just like my 94 ranger is). You could not keep the gauges working.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually, I believe it's 1996 when the 302 became available.
And between the 5.0 and 4R70W it is rare to see one in the JY under 200k that hasn't been wrecked... I looked trying to find a lower mile PS pump and had to settle on 170k being as young as I could find... :annoyed:

The parents old '94 (4.0, A4LD) Explorer ran and drove pretty good at 180k, it was pretty gutless but 3.27's will do that to about anything. :rolleyes:

I like the styling of the Jeep better, and I like the axle format better... but stock for stock IMO the only thing the Ex will come up short on is the trans for strength... the A4LD. One thing to remember, Ford pumped them Ex's out like crazy and right now they are pretty much at beater status... and beaters don't get the best care.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Nice. What's the specs?
I talked to him last night, and the stroker kit puts it at just over 250hp and over ft. lbs of torque. Like I mentioned before, this thing has torque galore. It was unbelievable when I drove it. It broke the brand new 33" BFG's loose when I punched it, already going 10-15mph. If it weren't for the ergonomics of the interior, it would be tempting to get one.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
And between the 5.0 and 4R70W it is rare to see one in the JY under 200k that hasn't been wrecked...
I hear you! This is exactly why I am still kicking myself for not buying the complete engine I got my heads from. It only had 68,000 miles.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stock for stock I'd take a Cherokee anyday, even so if we are talking SLIGHT mods (small lift, tires, long arms etc.)

Now if your talking axle swaps and heavy wheeling I'd take the expo since it has a frame.

The explorer is much bigger, inside and out. I've owned a few of both, they are good vehicles but I don't trust the expo's a4ld

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
To add to my earlier statement about the different interior dimensions. I just started my explorer today (I've been driving a zj for the winter) and the difference is dramatic, you could get lost in there with all the room.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To add to my earlier statement about the different interior dimensions. I just started my explorer today (I've been driving a zj for the winter) and the difference is dramatic, you could get lost in there with all the room.
The couple times I had been in a ZJ I never really thought there was much of a difference. I can't say that I think the 91-01 Explorer has a crazy amount of extra room either.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Here's the most recent photo I've taken of his Jeep.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I loved my '90' Cherokee. That old design straight six was unbeatable. Replaced a thermostat and then the front brakes went out at 140K. Body was starting to go but it sure got me thru some tough Winters. Would have bought another but they came out with that wimp-ass Liberty replacement.
Dave

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's got a Rusty's 8 inch long arm lift, which he's added another 1.5" to. He's also got Rusty's sliders, subframe connectors, and HD drag link. It's got a Dana 44's with e-lockers. Since this photo he's added a roll bar. I need to get some newer pics because I think this is just the 8 inch lift in these photos.
OK, sorry to make this a run on reply Jim, but I just talked to my buddy a minute ago and the front is a Super Dana 30 that has bigger axles and U-Joints. He is eventually going to get a 44 in the front. The E-Lockers are made by Eaton. He is going to go get a Teraflex High Steer Knuckle for it really soon (I guess they are located somewhere here in Salt Lake).

He was telling me his buddy that he wheels with is doing a stroker on his, and it will be in the 300hp range. :icon_surprised:

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i currently own an 88 cherokee and a 90 bronco 2. previously had a 94 ranger which is still in the family so between the 2 ford i KINDA had an explorer. the jeep runs and drives well but there is definitely a lot more road and wind noise. the body on the fords feel like better quality metal IMO. the ford interiors are much better quality as well. the older renix jeeps are fairly well known for some cooling issues as well as a lot of stupid electrical issues. as far as reliability with proper upkeep on them the ford and jeep will last about the same mileage wise. (my jeep is at about 180k, b2 is 170k, ranger 220k). run an aftermarket tranny cooler on the ex and i feel like the ex is probably a little bit more durable.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I don't know if anyone cares, LOL, but I went over and took some more pics of my buddies set-up on his XJ. We also found some more carnage from tipping it on it's side. The passenger side mount for the long arm on his Super D30 got all tweaked. Anyway, if anyone has any questions, or wants more pics of something, let me know. It's really a nice little machine.

Here's the bent bracket:

He has a monstrosity of a roll bar in this thing:

The e-locker switches:

Last edited:

s10 warrior

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've been looking in to various vehicles that could be used off-road as public safety vehicles IE: Sheriff Patrol, Search Rescue / EMS, etc.

Two vehicles that jump to the top of the list is the Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer. These were chosen due to their size and potential off-road capabilities. I'm talking about the older Explorers.

It's funny that Jeep is considered an off-road vehicle just by its name, and the Explorer is looked at as being a soccer mom vehicle. But to me, it seems like the Explorer cmes with stronger axles right from the factory. Lord knows there is a crap load of Jeeps running aroud with Explorer 8.8's.

For those in the know, what do you think one vehicle has in advanatage and disadvantage over the other vehicle?

that is a tough one!! i love both Explorers and Cherokee's. the older ones such as the Early 90's. IMHO , i dont think of the explorer as being a soccer mom vehicle.. both The explorer n cherokee have served me well ,as i have put both thru hell off while off the road :headbang: .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals