• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 8N starting problems

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks as though the 70's were a good time for your farm... Sad to say, but that's how it is here too... We have a (I believe)1510 JD gas at the farm I work at(one of the last Gas ag tractors built by deere...3 Cylinder gas), and a stuck Farmall H. Friend of the family has a Deere 850 (Yanmar), it's the tractor I learned to drive on...We still use it for clipping the meadow/tree fields, and for our firewood logging.

I have always wanted to get a Styled John Deere D... It's the 2 cylinder tractor I have the most time with... There's just something about the sound and smell of a 500 Cubic inch (I forget the exact number) 2 cylinder burning Kerosene under a full load.

I use a '49 Gravely L for pretty much everything I need to do... I have 2 parts tractors to keep it going. People laugh at me when I tell them what I use, but For what I need it for, it works well, and I can run all day on 2 gallons of gas. Parts and attachments are cheap when you buy junk machines and part them out. I had a Gibson Super D2 (steering wheel type, 2 Cylinder Wisconsin engine), But it needed alot more work after I got it running, so I traded it for a couple of Associated Washing Machine engines.

When it comes to mechanical stuff, old farm engines and tractors are what I like to work on...The truck, not so much.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One things for sure the new tractors won't be running in 50yrs. These old machines were built with different standards then what's used today.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One things for sure the new tractors won't be running in 50yrs. These old machines were built with different standards then what's used today.
That is for sure, fiberglass and wiring/computers don't particularly age well. But new to new, the new ones blow the older ones away.

I once took my '53 WD-45 on a 20 mile tractor ride... it took me two weeks to walk right again after the "catapulting" ride. Having both the seat and steering wheel offset (but at different amounts, the wheel is closer to center) puts everything in a bind... I don't know what the big selling feature was for my great-grandfather to buy a fleet of these things.

Here it is (and me) at a local plowing day we had over the summer.

Last edited:

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Supposedly the offest makes it easier to see for row crop work... IH called it "Cultivision" on the Cubs, A's and 'C's. It does make it easier to cultivate with integral shovel type cultivators, though why anyone would do that on a WD-45 is beyond me...It's just too big, in my opinion.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Supposedly the offest makes it easier to see for row crop work... IH called it "Cultivision" on the Cubs, A's and 'C's. It does make it easier to cultivate with integral shovel type cultivators, though why anyone would do that on a WD-45 is beyond me...It's just too big, in my opinion.
They had a optional hinge (mainly so the seat wouldn't fill up with water) that would kick the seat over to center, but then your left knee is in your face and the steering wheel is still not centered. Not to mention it makes it tough to squeeze between the fenders and the seat, my dad has that on his WD.

My theory is they spent all their time and money on the tractor itself, then two weeks before the release they realized they forgot the operator station and slapped it together.

Last edited:

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
we also have a "few" older tractors. Right now my dad is alittle obsessed with 8n's right now. Mainly the ones with a funk v8 conversion. He has 2 six cylinder conversions and he wants to convert one with a 60 horse v8, 80 horse, and i think there's another one but can't remember what size. I myself have 2 farmall B's, a '36 John deere A, and i'm about 90% done repainting a '39 John Deere B. It's my uncles but i hope to "steal" it away from him. It was sitting out side at our house since the early '80's with no tires, and no compression at all. and one day i just decided i would like to see that run. And it does now. Just need to get a radiator core, intake studs, repaint the hood/ gas tank and i would like to make a straight pipe for it that looks like a muffler.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
this past summer a freind needed the use of a loader-equipped tractor, i drove the 1020 into town to him (15 miles-one way) i need to get a equipment trailer if i do that again. it started to rain halfway there, ive never been so wet, rain falling down and being thrown up by all 4 tires with no fenders over the top of them. rough ride for a hour straight too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals