• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fog lights on with key

white4768

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1996
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0
Transmission
Manual
Original Poster: WHITE4768 Difficulty: 3 out of 10
Time to install: 20 MIN

- Tools Needed:- Wire cuttersParts Needed:- wire- time-
Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.
Small 5 pin relay

Pin 1 is 12 volts from Dimmer switch when in low beam position. This would be pin 85 on a standard relayPin 2 is the wire that goes to the factory fog light switch. The switch controls the ground to the relay coil.When the switch is on it supplies a ground to the relay coil to turn the fog lights on. When off it removes ground from the coil and the lights turn off. This would be pin 86 on a standard relay Pin 3 is 12 volt constant and the common contact in the relay. This would be pin 30 on a standard relayPin 4 in the normally closed contact. It is not used. This would be pin 87A on a standard relayPin 5 is the normally open contact. This would be pin 87 on a standard relay

Well I was able to get my fog lights to come on with OUT any of the other lights just the key. Here is what I did. Disconnect NEG side of battery. Under the Power distribution box you will find a butt load of wires. Find the Dark blue DK BLU wire with the Light green LT GRN stripe. Cut that wire in two. The half of the wire that goes back to the truck I capped it off. The one that goes back into the power distribution box is where you connect a wire to. I ran the wire that I connected to the Dark blue/light green wire to the fuse box inside the truck to a key on power. Reconnect the battery and you should be all good to go. Try the fog light switch it should / will work just like it did when you had your headlights on, only now it does it with just the key on. No lights/running lights/low lights/high lights/just the key on and off with the key off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals