• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flywheel question quick

Slingblade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Had my flywheel resurfaced and the guy at the shop is trying to tell me I need to shim it out as in a .06" shim between flywheel and crank. I'm pretty sure I thought that that was not neccessary with these trucks. Am I wrong?
Its for the 4.0L with M5OD-R1

Chris

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've never heard of any need to shim the flywheel. I don't think you would have to shim it. I threw a turned flywheel on most of my vehicles without shims.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as far as i know if you have you flywheel cut you have to shim it back out the same as it was cut to get the clutch to work right

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I had mine resurfaced when I blew the original M5OD-R1. My machine shop guy never said anything about shimming it. Now when I had brought in a flywheel for a 2000 Sonoma I was working on in, he did say that one had to be shimmed so I bought one. Shims are expensive too! I had to pay $20 for the one for that Sonoma (luckily that got passed on to the owner)... Maybe it depends on how much they have to remove/how thick the flywheel is?

snoopdoggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9 2.9 4.0 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No need for shimming. The clutch bolts to the face of the flywheel so there is no distance change between the two. Shimming it out would only move the ring gear farther away from the starter drive gear. That would not be good.

Slingblade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thats what I thought. He was more concerned with not being able to disengage the clutch. I'm pretty sure the Hydro slave is made to compensate for that Isn't it? anyways wouldn't it be easier to shim the slave cylinder?

Chris

Last edited:

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Mine bolted down with 2 10mm bolts IIRC. But yeah, it would be easier to shim that then the flywheel. No matching up the one way bolt pattern like you have on the flywheel, especially since most shims that I've seen are made to fit more than one engine/flywheel combo.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Some engines do need it shimmed for the slave to reach properly. Ford was smart enough to just build a slave that can reach that far. If you have taken so much off of a Ford flywheel that you need a shim to get proper clutch disengagement, you need a new flywheel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals