• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

floppy door?

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
When driving and hitting bumps my door sounds loose. I went through and tightened every hinge, bolt, and screw and no difference. Anyone else have this problem, and how can i fix it? Possible new door latch? :icon_confused:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It could be the weatherstripping is worn out. I know my doors rattled until i replaced the weatherstripping. my. 02 though

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
besides tightening everything, did you check to see if the door is out of adjustment? mine did that and i had to adjust the striker bolt a little. it's a trial-and-error kinda job.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's the stud the door grabs when you shut it.If you loosen that you can adjust it a little bit and tighten the door as it shuts.

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
so just loosen the stud on the cab and lift it up so it rests on it?

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The door sounds loose? But it's not? It could be a floppy door handle. The springs get loose or break and it's rattle, rattle, rattle on down the road.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
close your door slowly and look and see how and where it is contacting the striker bolt. then, when you loosen the screws for the striker bolt, it will slide around a little, front to back and up and down. just move it a fraction in the direction you think it needs to go, then tighten it back down. close your door slowly and see how it mates up to it. then close it and see if it is any tighter. like i said, trial and error. took me about a half hour to get it where i wanted it. i had all new rubber door surrounds put on and they were bigger due to the old ones being totally collapsed and useless. didn't take long to figure out i needed to adjust the doors so they would close more easily.
good luck with this.

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
sat there for awhile and moved the striker around nut nothing really worked. took a little wire tape and but it around the contact area (because its worn) and it stopped. so i guess i should prob order new strikers

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There should be a plastic sleeve over the door striker. The latch is what is rattling as the strikers diameter is too small. Go to the "help" section at the local auto parts place and get some of those sleeves.

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
sweet thanks a lot

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
never found any striker bolt bushings for my truck, thinking about doing the weather stripping unless anyone else has any other suggestions :dunno:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My passenger door closes with a very nice, deep CLooonK...my driver door rattles and clops and doesn't actually close right...I farted around with the striker and actually changed the sleeve with some old pipe that just happened to fit...it now closes much better, but it still doesn't come close to the passenger side...

I had a similar problem with my Tempo and it turned out to be the hinge pins...they were allowing just enough play to make adjustments elsewhere useless...

You might tryh the striker a bit more because there actually is a sweet spot on them...if not, check the door for up and down play and look closely at the pins on the hinges...

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
probably striker plates

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I havent had much time lately but I picked up new weather stripping from lmc truck and solved the problem!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals