• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flexy leaf springs

peter@ncws.com

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I need to know what people are using out there for the rear of a 97 SC 4x4 leaf spring. I need them to be real soft. The stock springs and the explorer springs have the overload spring attached. Is somebody getting good flex with overload type springs because I'm certainly not. I saw a set of skyjacker or superlift? for 250 on e-bay without the overload on it. Anybody using these? Talk to me people.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I substituted the flatter Ford OL leaf for the more curved one on my Skyjacker springs, and it does pretty good (about 20" flex), without losing all of it's load-carrying ability. I also have extended shackles on it.

To get much more than that, you'll probably have to ditch the OL leaves entirely though, yes.

peter@ncws.com

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ohh la la.

That's what I'm talking about! I had that with my 84 ranger and need to have that with my 97. In 84 they used a really soft spring and went to the flat overload in 86 and up I think. I have a line on a pair of skyjackers(?) 4in lift with the overload spring on it. Is that what you started with? That picture looks like a spot at my favorite off-road place Los Coyotes. Thanks for the reply.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yes, mine are the SJ FR34 4" leafs. I took the (mostly flat) OL leaf off the old stock springs and put them on the SJ leafs.

The OL leaves gave me about another 2½" of uptravel, the ext shackles about 3" more on the droop side.

IIRC, that pic was on Holcomb Creek in Big Bear back around 2003.
Is Los Coyotes still around? (I think it was an indian reservation?)? I thought I heard it had been closed down years ago. :icon_confused:

peter@ncws.com

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
los coyotes

Your right, they are closed. You are saying that it flexed better with the overload spring on? I'm so confused by that. I guess I don't understand how it all works. I bought a set of "explorer" springs and it turns out they are not stock and they lifted the back 5in. instead of the 1-2in I expected. I took out the blocks and it is still high. It just does not flex worth a crap.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your right, they are closed. You are saying that it flexed better with the overload spring on? I'm so confused by that. I guess I don't understand how it all works. I bought a set of "explorer" springs and it turns out they are not stock and they lifted the back 5in. instead of the 1-2in I expected. I took out the blocks and it is still high. It just does not flex worth a crap.
I think he's saying that it flexed better with the ford overload on rather than the skyjacker one. The skyjacker overload is curved up more than the ford overload, and therefore allows less uptravel when at full stuff. Because it's only the overload junkie changed, it shouldn't have affected ride height or quality.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Correct, better flex with the Ford overload vs. the SJ one.

If you want to run no OL at all, then you will have to instead use a couple small bottom leaves from earlier (or Bronco II) spring packs to support the rest of the leaves in the pack. Simply just taking out the OL can cause the spring to fatigue and break right at the spring perch.

peter@ncws.com

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
light bulb went on

Now I get it, you need something at the bottom of the leaf spring to push it up and support the leaf sp.pack. I have a set of springs on my 4Runner that have at least 6 leafs that get progressively smaller thus supporting the pack and allowing flex. Is that about how it works?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yep, that's about it (think upside-down pyramid shape, sortof). all the leaves need to be progressively smaller as you get to the axle perch.

peter@ncws.com

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
going crazy here

So, I bought a set of skyjacker springs(used) and put them on. They were supposed to provide 4inches of lift. Well not only did they lift it 6inches but the driver side is higher than the passenger side(1-2inches). The only part# I could fine is 34s on the spring. What the f........! Life was so simple on my 84, I put blocks on it, it flexed like crazy with a little bit of axle wrap(but I lived with it). This time I wanted to try it without the blocks because I have 50 more horsepower to try to tame with the 4.0. I grow so weary. The good news is I can R&R the springs in a couple of hours now. OOOOF!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sounds like one of those springs is sagged out or something (or maybe you got a 4" and a 6" spring?)

Do they both have visible part #s on them?

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You also might want to consider swapping the leafs around. Ranger's are notorious for having a 1~2" lean to the driver's side(P.S. is higher). It's possible that the leafs were installed switched from what you have them, and one may be more sagged than the other. Another thing to consider is the weight of the rig they came off of, and the weight of yours.

peter@ncws.com

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry about that

Turns out the bolt on the spring shackle was too long and was pressing on the bumper bracket not allowing the shackle to fully seat. I feel like an idiot but that's normal for me. Thank you all for your insight and advice. Going to find out tomorrow if these springs flex. Keeping my fingers crossed.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turns out the bolt on the spring shackle was too long and was pressing on the bumper bracket not allowing the shackle to fully seat.
:icon_rofl:

Sometimes it's the easiest things that nobody suggests. Glad you have it figured out.

peter@ncws.com

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
need a little work

They flex o.k. but I'm looking for more. Down the road I guess I'll try to play with these and make them work better. Thanks ya'll.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals