• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Ford and it's been interesting

Buds94XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Purchased a 94 ranger XLT 4x4 with automatic and 4.0 ohv. Was supposed to be for my nephew but brother in law didn't want to always have to fix it. So I kept it.

Was an old farmers truck with 331k on the body but doubt it's the original automatic or engine. Bunch of parts later and a new (used) PCM and it's running perfect. Digging in I found a transgo kit in the automatic that also appears rebuilt. Shifts flawlessly.

Engine is very strong with solid compression on all cylinders with little variation.

Overall nice little truck and not very hard to work on.

Appreciate all the help these forums offer and insights to keep this thing going for another 30 years I hope.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger

victory_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Purchased a 94 ranger XLT 4x4 with automatic and 4.0 ohv. Was supposed to be for my nephew but brother in law didn't want to always have to fix it. So I kept it.

Was an old farmers truck with 331k on the body but doubt it's the original automatic or engine. Bunch of parts later and a new (used) PCM and it's running perfect. Digging in I found a transgo kit in the automatic that also appears rebuilt. Shifts flawlessly.

Engine is very strong with solid compression on all cylinders with little variation.

Appreciate all the help these forums offer and insights to keep this thing going for another 30 years I hope.
I just joined as I bought my first pickup, similar to yours! 94 4.0L 4x4, but it's the manual 5speed. Good to hear yours has been easy to work on. Will be learning on this vehicle myself.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome.

1994 was a good year for Rangers.

We'd love to see pics.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

Welcome

Icarus

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4x4 SuperCab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello!

Just picked up a 94 supercab 4x4. Needs hydraulic clutch and carrier bearing, but sounds good at idle. I'm an old (flat-fender) jeep guy, but I lost both my jeeps and my 2018 Ranger in my divorce a couple of years ago. This 94 (named Strider) is going to be an offroad / back woods toy and I've already found a wealth of information here to get me started on brainstorming that project.

Thanks for the great community!

Icarus

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4x4 SuperCab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just joined as I bought my first pickup, similar to yours! 94 4.0L 4x4, but it's the manual 5speed.
This seems to be a trend here! I just picked up a 94 4.0 5speed myself!

94_PurpsRange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
Pitter-patter, let’s get at ‘er.
NICE!!! Looks like we got some more 4.0 guys!
I also run a 94 / 4.0L / auto.. only has 49K miles on it and its been in my family since the show room floor.
I love this truck! Its my daily and my nightly haha i cant seem to stay out of it!

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Buds94XLT
Hello and welcome,
Is your 4.0 the EGR (California)or Federal version🧐

94_PurpsRange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
@Buds94XLT
Hello and welcome,
Is your 4.0 the EGR (California)or Federal version🧐
I’ll be honest…. I have no idea! Haha how would I find out? I mean this truck was in fact purchased here in California

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Take even a little care of those 4.0 and they'll go forever. I've generally beat the **** out of mine and have no idea what was done to it for the first 174,000 and I just passed 470,000. I'm prepping to replace it now. Still runs good, just lacking a little compression.

As for how to tell if you have EGR or not, look for a pipe going from the driver side exhaust manifold to the intake.

94_PurpsRange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
Take even a little care of those 4.0 and they'll go forever. I've generally beat the **** out of mine and have no idea what was done to it for the first 174,000 and I just passed 470,000. I'm prepping to replace it now. Still runs good, just lacking a little compression.

As for how to tell if you have EGR or not, look for a pipe going from the driver side exhaust manifold to the intake.
Oh yeah man!
I love my Range! I take very good car of her aside from garaging her.. I only have 50K on it and the only other person to have ever owned this truck is my grandad haha
I am also getting myself another motor so i could fully prep and get to new so that when this one does go out ill already have one in place. Also, my kids want to be able to drive it when they are of age to do so hahaha

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah man!
I love my Range! I take very good car of her aside from garaging her.. I only have 50K on it and the only other person to have ever owned this truck is my grandad haha
I am also getting myself another motor so i could fully prep and get to new so that when this one does go out ill already have one in place. Also, my kids want to be able to drive it when they are of age to do so hahaha
Your reasoning makes a lot of sense. Why not drive old but new? People really love old Rangers, the newer they look the better. I bet people have stopped you and mentioned that too.

94_PurpsRange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
Your reasoning makes a lot of sense. Why not drive old but new? People really love old Rangers, the newer they look the better. I bet people have stopped you and mentioned that too.
I do get a lot of shout outs from people... The outside doesn't look new but the interior is 9 out of 10.. the motor and drive train is 9 out of 10 and the exterior is 7 out of 10 in my opinion.. the paint is oxidized from the sun and shit but the truck is sound. Needs a little TLC that i have been doing on and off weekly.. but all in all my truck is running great! :) i had someone offer me like 8K for it and i laughed and turned him down.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I do get a lot of shout outs from people... The outside doesn't look new but the interior is 9 out of 10.. the motor and drive train is 9 out of 10 and the exterior is 7 out of 10 in my opinion.. the paint is oxidized from the sun and shit but the truck is sound. Needs a little TLC that i have been doing on and off weekly.. but all in all my truck is running great! :) i had someone offer me like 8K for it and i laughed and turned him down.
Send us some pictures too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals