• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First 1/4 mile times

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just got my truck back together about 2 days ago after blowing not 1, but 2 of the headgaskets. I just got home from the track... a little disapointed, but i did okay. I had slicks on, stock rear suspention. I ran a best of 14.336 @ 96 with a 2.3 60ft time. I think thats terrible but oh well. My valves seem'd to be floating at 5500... wouldnt go any higher then that + my carb was choking a bit down low, hopefully i can get them fixed by next weekend and break into the 13's

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
what cam and heads/intake?

sounds like ya may need springs if you have a high cam and its laying down on ya early like that.

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cam is a Edelbrock Performer RPM (dont think its enough cam) Heads are ported and polished hi-po289 heads. Pistons are flattop with 4 valve reliefs, and intake is a Edelbrock Performer rpm also... Im going to get a new cam, some roller rockers and new valvesprings for next weekend i think

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Don't feel disappointed about the times. If you ran it hard and it was still in one piece and running when you got home, then it was a good day.

I was the same way with my truck. Thought I'd hit the 13s. Nope. The best it would do with the wrong gears (3.73s), no tune, a plugged fuel filter (oops), and temps in the 90s was a 14.327@96 with a 2.208 60'. I always consider the first time to the track as "working the bugs out". The times will get better.

Looks like we could have tied a string between our trucks and gone down the track.:D

Last edited:

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks 281, atleast i dont feel like a total failure now, only thing that cheered me up last night was turbo'd civics where still running slower then me LOL. I guess im going to get that stuff fixed... i might switch my gears out in the rear too, i think i was around 4500 coming acrossed the traps, i have to watch it more close this friday though

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Where are you running at? I go to PRP near New Alexandria, PA. I've not taken the 351W Ranger to the track since April. Ran a 13.5@ 99...needs lots of tuning...and more gear for the cam. Will end up in the 12's before fall...if I ever get my TP headers on.

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I run at maple grove... its not that far from reading PA. I was running 93 octane @ the track and i think that i should have been running a little bit higher...

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
If you guys want some cool drag racing calculators to play with, check out this site: http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/

If you go to www.modulardepot.com and register, they have a feature called "My ETs". It's an ET log book where if you enter all the stats from your run including altitude, weather conditions, etc., it will correct your times for sea level, calculate horsepower (rear wheel and flywheel) and power to weight ratio. You can keep notes on each run, compare runs side by side, and keep track of your mods. It's really cool.

Greg

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any of u guys near the pocono area? I want to take my mustang to island dragway in great meadows nj. It would be a fun race im guessin it runs low 14s stock.

Dan B.

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Any of u guys near the pocono area? I want to take my mustang to island dragway in great meadows nj. It would be a fun race im guessin it runs low 14s stock.
Most stock Mustangs that I've seen at high-14's at best. I raced quite a few stock and very slightly modded M-GT's when my truck was a dead consistent 14.1 sec runner...and never got beat.

I've raced enough to know that whatever you really hope to run, add about a full second or more to lessen disappointment. A pro in a muscle car rag may run it into the 14.0's...that does not mean you (or I) can get anywhere near that! I learned that real fast when I started racing bikes....the bike rag pro can run 11.0's in stock form...best I can get is 11.4.

BTW...I'm 60 miles east of Pittsburgh...a long way from your corner of the state.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea thats a long ways lol. Im lookin foreward to racing my buddy with a dodge cummins, he talks a lot of shit haha.

Dan B.

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yea thats a long ways lol. Im lookin foreward to racing my buddy with a dodge cummins, he talks a lot of shit haha.
Be careful...there's a few around these parts that run into the low 11's. Pretty bad that if I bobble the launch on my Bandit 1200S I'll get beat by a 6K pound, 4wd truck!

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes be very careful. my 02 duramax/allison runs 14.5s all day with a 8" lift, 37" tires, 3.73, exhaust, intake and edge w/ attitude chip and PPE boost tube. oh and it weights 8,000 lbs full fuel (its a crew cab long bed) lol. being able to do a boosted launch in 4wd at 15-20bls of boost will really throw you in your seat. diesels are usually very underestemated but with no more than a grand in hop up chips and other small stuff they can haul a$$

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive driven the truck before, its pretty badass, but its a 6 speed and the thing is a bitch to launch and shift quickly. He doesnt have anything crazy, just a chip and pipe. Im guessin somewhere in the 15s it will run.

bill6639

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
hey holeshot,

i live in douglassville pa right outside of reading

I was at the grove today for super chevy

it's cool to find people close by.
do you go to the test and tunes alot?

im thinkin about commin up for the next one

Id love to check out your truck I love seeing rangers with V8s thrown in... someday mabey ill do it to mine lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals