• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhausts

theDANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im looking to get a new muffler and was wondering what people had and what sounded good. Thanks.:headbang:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have the stock exhaust, but throughout many threads on here, most people suggest a Flowmaster Super 40 or 44...

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I am running a Flowmaster 40 aluminum series. Sounds great and it will last. I have had it for 5 years now and it is a super performer. I am running a single exhaust out the back. I had the whole setup installed from the cat back with all new pipes for $175.00 at our local muffler shop. The guy who installed it raised the tail pipe up to match the suspenion lift and bl so it looks like it stock. I have seen so many pipes that hang down in the stock postion after the lift kits are installed and it looks stupid.

Here is a photo of the tail pipe on the right side just behind the Hi-lift jack. I am still working on a way to get the jack up about three inches higher with the mount out now being modified by a welder. He is going to angle the mout up more for me.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Flowmaster 40,44, 50?

Glasspacks

them seem the most common

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the way i have done it in the past, after the first cat i usually cut the second one off and the pipe inbetween (87 ranger anyways) measre 2 3/4 i reduced it down to 2 1/2 and im a HUGE fan of how hooker aerochambers sound on just about anything

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Any chambered muffler is going to sound the best in my opinion.

Flowmaster 40, for example.

Summit Racing sells the Thrush Fully Welded muffler for $30, and it is the exact same thing as the Flowmaster 40.

theDANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I was wondering what the difference between baffled and unbaffled exhausts were and which one was better?:icon_confused:

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am running an aero turbine 30/30, no cat, and it sounds awesome, i love it. i also have a before the tire exit:

sound:

theDANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool. I was thinking about getting the flowmaster super 44. Also whats the difference between baffled and unbaffled?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Go with an original 40 series, or a Deltaflow 40 series. I prefer the Delta flow, it takes all that obnoxious "Honda" noise out of the exhaust.

I run Hedman headers, into a 2.5" high flow cat, into a 2.5 si/do DF Flowmaster, into dual 2.5" tailpipes that join back together into a centermounted 5" under my bed that dumps right below my taigate.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/urbanredneckkid/SSPX0399.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/urbanredneckkid/a4.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/urbanredneckkid/34671_1289098999848_1601409388_3063.jpg
Don't attempt an exhaust like this with the 5" pipe, I have 10"s of lift in the back, any less would have clearance issues with the rear axle. Thou it did sound good before without the headers and normal rear exit dual pipes.

Baffled mufflers are like the Flowmaster and factory mufflers, with baffles in them. (Better exhaust sound and tone, provides crutial back pressure the 4.0L needs)
Unbaffled mufflers are like the Cherry Bomb Glasspacks or Magnaflow mufflers, Straight-through design with packing, like performance ATV exhaust. (better flow, quiets only little bit, nasty raspy white-trash sound)

Last edited:

theDANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks a lot. I liked the sound of the delta flow 40. And i like the definition of unbaffled. It was a good one.:icon_cheers:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My choptop came to me with a Flowmaster 40 on it. It works, not very loud at idle but when you get on it, it makes a lil noise. Not too bad though. I'd be inclined to get another.

My F-150 came to me with a glasspack.... I don't care for it that much. It doesn't sound really bad because I'm stuck with low rpms anyway (long live the 300-6), but...

I don't really like the length on it either, it's too long to let me exit my exhaust in front of the back tire the way I want to. But I haven't messed with it yet, had plenty of other things to work on with the truck that were more important. When it falls off I'll prolly put a 40 series on it or pick something else.

theDANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay soo the 40 series has a nice sound when you start goin. Can you hear it a little when your idling?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay soo the 40 series has a nice sound when you start goin. Can you hear it a little when your idling?
Yea, it sounds good at idle. You can deff hear it, noticeable but not too loud.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I am currently running the stock exhaust system with a couple holes rusted through the muffler. Sounds great! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals