• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

exhaust on a 4.0, 3.0 and 2.3

JunkYardRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To all wondering ways to do your exhaust on a 4.0, here is a few ways I have found works good and sounds good ... I work at an custom exhaust shop, so I have tried many different ways and these are the 2 best i have found. Mind you I do NOT have converters on my truck ... any truck 95 and older is not necessary minus for emissions purposes

1) come off the Y pipe with 2.5 in pipe into a single in duel out 40 series flowmaster or equivalent muffler use 2.25 in tail pipes with either 3in or 3 1/2 in tips

2) come off the manifolds or headers with 2.25 inch pipe into a duel in duel out 50 series flow master or equivalent using 2.25 in tail pipes with 3in or 3 1/2 in tips

3.0 and 2.3 (of course on a 2.3 you can not use option 2)

1) come off the Y pipe with 2.5 in pipe into a single in duel out 40 series magnaflow or equivalent muffler use 2.25 in tail pipes with either 3in or 3 1/2 in tips

2) come off the manifolds or headers with 2.25 inch pipe into a duel in duel out 50 series magnaflow or equivalent using 2.25 in tail pipes with 3in or 3 1/2 in tips

Remember these are just ways at our shop we have found out that it works and sounds good .... I am NOT by any means saying that this is the only way to do it. every one has their own way and ideas here is a few dirty pics of mine with the duel in duel out set up.

Steve

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if your a legit shop and your installing systems without cat converters...you know you guys face a $10,000 penalty, right?

JunkYardRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
we know ..... but u need to remember 1 a converter is only required on a registered vehicle not a " race or off road vehicle " the shop is a legit shop been in business 21 years and counting ... second there is no emissions laws or inspections here so is it legal? ... define legal ?!?!?! there is always ways around everything .... and as far as my truck is concerned, it is an off road vehicle only it is NOT registered or insured it goes from the shop to the mud hole and back on a trailer

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
How does It sound on the 2.3? I know it's hard to describe, but does it sound good/decent?
I dont expect anything deep or resembling a bigger engine, just better than the B.S. exhaust I threw together before winter.

"I understand this is a muffler, not a miracle sound improver"

I dont have a cat, and regret taking mine off, for reasons other than legality. If I understand correctly, I'll go 2.5 from where I hacked off the cat, to a flow 40, with 2.25 the rest of the way, correct?

Does it sound decent with one in one out muffler? I'm just not to sure about the Idea of duals on a 4 banger.

Thanks for all your help, sorry for asking a bunch of questions.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
second there is no emissions laws or inspections here so is it legal?
tampering, removing, or disabling OE emissions devices is against federal law. it doesnt matter what your local or state laws are or if you have emissions testing in your area. its illegal within the borders of the united states. the fine for individual violations is stiff enough....its MUCH worse for a buisness that breaks the law.

as rangerbum found out, there are no advantages to removing the cat converter. you will not improve your sound, you will not gain horsepower, and you will not gain mileage.

JunkYardRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wicked_Sludge ... I am not going to argue with you over this ... you live 3000 + miles from me so it does not concern you second we do what people ask us to do ... and btw, I have not had a conv on my truck in 4 years and have been pulled over multiple time and no issues Thank you for your concerns

rangerbum using that magnaflow with this set up actually sounds decent .... of course it is no V8, but it has a decent tone not to ricey at all

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im not concerned with your shop. you know the risks. but you shouldnt suggest other people do the same without first informing them of the risks.

JunkYardRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
""""To all wondering ways to do your exhaust on a 4.0, here is a few ways I have found works good and sounds good ... I work at an custom exhaust shop, so I have tried many different ways and these are the 2 best i have found. Mind you I do NOT have converters on my truck ... any truck 95 and older is not necessary minus for emissions purposes""""

if you read what I said, it says I do NOT have them on my truck and said NOT necessary except for emission purposes ...NEVER once did I say to do it to their vehicle

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
then you continued by suggesting that you should run the y-pipe into a dual inlet/outlet muffler, which means removing the cat converter. you never mentioned the fact that doing so was illegal.

JunkYardRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oops my bad!! :sad:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
vvvveeerrryyy interesting(courtesy Hogan's Heroe's):headbang: conversation

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
'93 ranger 3.0L 4x4. 98+ranger intake p&p, 56mmTB, CAI, roller rockers and it all flows through a catless 2.5" SIDO exhaust. Trust me, cats make it sound terrible if you want any rumble or thump. You will throw a code if you have an O2 senser behind to moniter. But, I dont!

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
will a gutted cat sound diff than no cat

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
yes, they resonate and cause everything in the cab to vibrate and rattle.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe a gutted cat will resonate, but I replaced everything with 2.5" pipe. I run a flo-pro SIDO muffler and it hardly resonates compared to a flowmaster 40 equipped vehicle with cats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals