• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

exhaust for my 92 2.9

92rangnick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
i have brand new exhaust because previous owner had a kit put on cat back but the manifolds leaked, took them off and had them re done now i like it alot because its very quiet but a little noise never hurt neone and i really really want dual exhaust can any one refer me to options and picture i want a decent noise not loud but a good sound i hope u know what i mean a deeper pitch wud be cool to i dont know wat i can do but i have limited budget thank you

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to say it, but this has been asked many times and you really should search... BUT from my learnings from asking the exact same question basically lol, here is what i know...

Ok, so first off, duals is not really a good idea for this lil 6cyl. Simply doesnt move enough exhaust and wont sound as good from what i hear. I was told that the max pipe size you would want to run on these engines is 2.5", and that 2.25" is the best size you should go with (Not duals). Stock piping should be 2", but idk what the magnaflow kit gave you.

I've heard that flowmasters are the muffler to go with for deep tones. The flowmaster origonal 40 is supposed to have a real nice rumble at idle and roar when punched. I myself am going to redo my exhaust with 2.25" pipes and a single flowmaster 40 muffler. Was planning to run it out the sides, but heard that it might sound better going out the back.... Can someone maybe clear up what the sound difference would be with different tips and exits for us both please?

Either way, if you are deadset on running dual exhaust, i would just go with "fake" duals and get a SI/DO (Single in/Dual out) muffler. Have it maybe something like 2.5" pipe to the muffler and 2" pipes after. Idk how loud you want to go, but if you want a deep muffler i would go flowmaster 40. But that may be too loud for your liking if you are going for a quieter kind of deep rumble.

Hope this helps some. Use the search button and look for more info. I know one of the topics i started a while back when i first joined had pretty much the same question lol.

Last edited:

92rangnick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
thanks hoss, i want the look more then the sound of duals n kinda figure 1 into two wud bw the better choice flow 40z wat ive also heard thanks alot for ur infor ill probably do it id rather hve a loud rumble then a friggin rap like people who straight pipe yotas

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks hoss, i want the look more then the sound of duals n kinda figure 1 into two wud bw the better choice flow 40z wat ive also heard thanks alot for ur infor ill probably do it id rather hve a loud rumble then a friggin rap like people who straight pipe yotas
Ya i dont like that sound much either lol. I gotta do my exhaust pretty bad too, just gotta fix the front end first. Stupid neons getting in my way... :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals