• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EX dash gauge for battery issue

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a schematic for a 90 ranger it shows that they share the same ground it is the black wire off the drivers side switch. If your going through batteries you need to figure out why. Start off taking all the grounds you can find apart and sanding them metal to metal and getting them tight. Checking the charging system is fairly easy with a volt meter. Fully charge the battery first and measure the voltage say 12.8 volts. start the engine and run it at around 1500 rpm and measure the voltage at the battery, when it stabilizes after a few minutes you want no more than 2.5 volts over battery voltage or no higher than 15.3 volts at 1500 rpm, that is the no load check. Turn the lights on and a/c on high if you have it or turn everything on heater radio run it at about 2000 rpm and measure the voltage at the battery it should be no lower than .5 volts over battery voltage or no less than 13.3 volts at 2000 rpm, that is the load test. The tech library has a section on troubleshooting if you fail either one of those tests.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure the battery posts and cable clamps are clean and tight!

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I'll have to pull the pw switch out and see if that black wire has come apart. I replaced the switch once thinking that was the problem.

I'll check what I can.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What i'm reading is your not concerned about the gauge moving your concerned about the lights dimming at the same time.The thing you need to determine is does it only do this with the window or any large draw with the lights on mess with your other accessories to see if you can duplicate it.If you can't put an amp gauge on the source for the windows and see what it draws to determine if it needs repair.If it does check the ground strap between the body and the motor and the block and starter connections on the battery cables.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've checked the alternator cables, the battery cables on the battery, the ground from battery positive to the right fenderwell. I noticed that with ANY lights on, the voltage goes down. Battery is staying at 12.63-12.65 when engine off. When engine on, its running at 14.05-14.15. Isn't it supposed to be above 15? I have an electrical problem that i can't figure out.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Get us a voltage reading when you have every light and every accessory turned on. I bet it is very close to the 14ish volts you are at now. BTW, around 14 is normal - what you describe sounds like a healthy electrical system.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If that's the case, then WHY are my lights dimming and my power window switches causing craziness? That's never happened to me on any of my other rigs I've owned.
Do I HAVE to upgrade my alternator? If I do that, what does that do essentially?

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, its like 14.06-14.10 with all the lights on, the stereo, the heater.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Go through and clean up all the grounds under the hood and anywhere else you can find then if you are really worried about it. How much is it really dimming your lights? Stuff draws power, I am really betting you have a corroded ground somewhere that is causing the problem. Putting a higher amp alternator in is not going to do anything for you.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I will have to check the starter ground, the block ground, I've already checked the battery cable and alternator. Gonna have to check the power window switch ground in the switch and in the kick panel, maybe the instrument cluster itself....a/c compressor ground, what am I missing haha.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The vehicle wiring harness has multiple ground, look under the hood for anywhere that has a wire screwed to a body panel. Most of the older RBV stuff I have worked on has grounds on the core support and inner fenders. Your negative battery cable may also ground to the frame somewhere in addition to the engine block, make sure that is clean.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I will see what I can find
New symptom: the gauge is fluctuating with me pressing on the gas at a stop, then going.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, i think you have a major lack of ground.

does the gauge ground anywhere? how does that work?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's because as you increase engine rpm, the alternator puts out higher voltage.

I really don't think there is any problem with your trucklet.

If the PW were drawing too much current, the fuse would blow.

I will say, a lot of people eliminate the frame ground when they replace a neg battery cable. The original goes from Bat- to frame, then engine block, with a smaller wire going to the core support.

Most replacement cables skip the frame, so it may help to add one from block to frame. Otherwise, your battery stays charged, your trucklet starts every day, and your lights get brighter when you press on the gas.

Could your idle be too low?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What's the average idle for the ex? Mine runs about 500 or roughly that. I have the positive cable connected to the frame by way of starter relay on right fender. Its also grounded to frame and motor and the frame rail I think.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals