• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Erratic Idle.

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everybody. My truck developed sudenly an erratic Idle speed. I checked the IAC which seemed pretty clean. I cleaned it anyway but the erratic Idle speed continued. I removed the throtle body, inspected it and cleaned it too (even though I clean it once a month and it was not it's turn).
I also inspected the cam sensor and the conection to my Coil. The sensor had very little dirt and all I did to clean it was to wipe it with a clean rag.
Any sugestion?:icon_confused:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
try unplugging the TPS while the engine is running...if it settles down your TPS is bad.

simple guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
May be a vaccum leak. Check the PCV or lines coming from and going to the manifold and inlet tube. You could always disconnect the battery for a few minutes to rest the ECU.

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've already done all this...Same result.
Any other guesses???

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
what happends if you unplug the IAC with the truck running? does it smooth out?

moo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem, try unplugging the VSS on the back of the trans.

mtm006

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 3.slow has always had a "rough" idle. I took it to the dealer when it was still under warranty to have the master cylinder replaced. The service department person seemed concerned about how engine was idling. They kept it for about 2 days and decided that the "rough" idle is normal for the 3.0. I don't know if that helps any, but that's what the dealer told me.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i can stand a quarter on edge on top of the intake plenum while my engine is running.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
my engine does the same thing i changed the IAC an it still does the same thing but my truck smooths out after a little while, an sometime when i just start my truck an drive it an slow down it will stay at 2000 rpms an so ihave to just creep the truck with the clutch an it will bring the idle downto like 1000 rpm

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
i can stand a quarter on edge on top of the intake plenum while my engine is running.
Yes, but most of us can't afford a Ferrari... seriously, how do you do it? Actually, mine may NOW, finally, be idling that smooth, after new IAC, DPFE, and other maint... will have to try the "QUARTER ON EDGE" TEST. :icon_bounceblue:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
mine had burnt exhaust valves when i got it. replacing them netted me about 30psi of compression in each cylinder and evened the power balance out a lot. aside from that, keeping up on all maintainence items is of the utmost importance.

im even running 25 degrees base timing and i didnt loose any idle quality. the vulcan is just a great running engine.

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your info... I did all... IAC, DPFE, Vaccum Lines (there is not too many of them), VSS (wich I don't see the conection but i tried it anyway). I still have and idle that looks like one spark plug doesn't work one time out of ten times some times one out of fifteen tiems. I also tried disconecting each one of the spark plugs one at the time to see which one was the one missing but it is indifferent. I never encountered such thing.
In the mean time one of my catalythic converters powderized its inside and clogged the last one creating an even more bigger puzzle. I'm running out of money and now Christmas is arround the corner. I hope we can fix it before Christmas.
What do You think guys?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
we're rapidly running out of ideas short of plugging it into an OBDII scanner capable of datastream....:dunno:

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have had the same problem for about 2 years. At first I tested the fule pressure and it was low so I replaced the filter and pump. It ran better but it still itdles rough. I'm some what of a new-b so I'm not sure what your acronym's are. IAC, DPFE, VSS? I have always done my own work, but I just move to Seattle and all my knowledgable friends are in California. I could use a little help. I would love to resolve this problem!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
IAC: idle air control (solenoid). controls the engines idle.

DPFE: delta pressure feedback EGR (EGR of coarse is exhaust gas recirculation). the sensor used by the PCM to regulate EGR flow.

VSS: vehicle speed sensor. tells the PCM how fast the truck is moving, used to control various functions of the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals