• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine rolls but no start ... sometimes.

CologneV6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To whom it my concern, I have a 04 4.0l v6 super cab ranger 5 sp. Which I have been fighting with for a month or so now. It all started at a gas station one day parked it went inside, came back out to start it and I just rolled for about five minutes before it would finally start. This happened again two days later at my house but it just wouldn't start just roll. So I checked on the fuel pressure which was zero, so I put a new fuel pump, filter, and got a new relay to be safe. It ran for a day and it wouldn't start again. It doesn't shut off while it's being driven or act weird, only once it has been turned off it just won't start sometimes. So I took it to my mechanic who said I somehow got a bad fuel pump, so he put another in, said it worked fine now. I drove it for a day and it still does the same thing just rolls and won't start. I have looked at the wiring and the ground and everything looks kosher. I'm sorta at a lost to what to do next. Potential a sensor that would cut off power to the pump as to not hurt the engine?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check if it has an inertia kill switch.

My parent's '94 Explorer had one, it would randomly die and eventually start. The connector was loose so if you kicked the carpet on the passenger side just right you could make/break the connection. The switches can go bad too.

It just kills the fuel in case of an accident.

CologneV6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's not the inertia switch I already tested that too sorry forgot to put that in there.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you get gas at said gas station? If so have you checked the fuel for excessive water, ethanol or other contaminates?

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check your Crank Position Sensor and wires to the sensor for bare wires.I had this problem and it turned out to be a bad crank position sensor that had a cracked plastic sensor housing.It would cause my truck to start fine one time and not want to start the next time I got in it to try to start it.I first thought it was my fuel pump so I changed it out,but the problem of not wanting to start was still there.I then checked out the wires to my crank position sensor but I could find nothing wrong with the wires,but I took the crank position sensor off and inspected it to find a cracked sensor housing and I bought a new sensor and it has been fine for over two years now. I Hope This Helps You Out.

CologneV6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just put one on last night gonna give her a run this weekend and see how it goes thanks lot for the help much appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals