• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical and other problems

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
My key got stuck in the ignition. I thought I used the right one but there were two on the key ring so I'm not totally sure(new truck). The rest of this probably would be better for the electrical forum but I don't want to start another thread. I took the engine out of the truck to do a diesel swap and now I've got an emiss light on the dash and my radio doesn't work. Everything else, other then the tach, is fine. I know why the tach is jumping all around but how do I repower the radio and get rid of that light? I'm tempted to just rewire the truck with a couple of on off switches

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How about a little more info

Assume a 1986 Ranger with a gasoline engine, what size engine was it?

And you installed a diesel engine, and removed the gasoline engine computer and all its wiring?

Assume "emiss" light is emission light

Gas engine vehicles have an EVAP system that sucks air out of the gas tank using engine vacuum, diesel has no manifold vacuum so that EVAP system wouldn't be working, and you have an emissions light.
Just pull the bulb, diesels don't require an EVAP system

Check the cab fuses, when doing engine swaps blown fuses are normal.

And if key switch and ignition switch are not turning/moving all the way then no power at some devices would happen.

Not sure why you would need to rewire, the ignition switch is also an on/off switch and it is already there to use

Last edited:

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
'86 Ranger with the 2.9L V6. I haven't put the diesel engine in yet because I still need to machine the adapter.

I have not removed all the wiring for the gas engine because my friend told me to hold off on it until I've got the new one running. I don't know why I listened because known of it can be used now. Where is the computer? Behind the aluminum panel in the firewall?

I'm glad you think emiss is for emissions, I kind of thought it was coming up because there's no engine. Is there just a fuse I could take out to make it go away? I don't really want to tear my dash open.

The key rotates fine; it'll shut off power, turn it on and start the engine.the problem is I can't remove the key from the ignition. I guess I could take the one out of the parts car I have and that way I'd have the position to turn on the glow plugs but I'd rather just put in a push button switch to make things easier.

What about no power to the radio? Fuse or wiring? It was working fine until i removed the engine. The power windows stopped working when I took out the engine but I found the plugs for them and now they work

The reason I was think of rewiring is that I have no idea what any of the wiring in the teu k is doing. I get the mechanics just fine but the electronics screw me up. What I was thinking would be to pull all the wirng in the engine bay, put in a key power switch to turn on the main power, pish buttons for glow plugs and starter, new wires to the lights, and a new wire to the radio. This would fix my key is stuck in ignition problem, emiss light, and no radio. That'd be a lot of work but it honestly seems easier then figuring out why my radio has no power.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals