• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric fan install!?

d.GATOR.b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone installed an electric fan on there ranger? If so, how did you do it?

I have mine installed and set up so it will not cut off until the coolant temp drops to 175 degrees weather the ignition is on or off. Just curious to know how others installed theirs.

d.GATOR.b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Ok let me reword this.
I need opinions on how I have my fan wired. Some guys on another forum claimed I would destroy my battery and I would gain nothing from this and my ford ranger doesn't need it and will gain nothing but dead batteries.
I tried to explain that it's wired the same way car manufacturers have done it for years and that its common but apparently it's not and I'm just stupid and know nothing.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It will be an extra draw on the battery, but I know for a fact that Volvo does it that way. My mom had an 01 V70 XC and sometimes in the middle of summer the fan would kick on even if the car hadn't been started that day.

d.GATOR.b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I had had originally posted a thread about putting in another battery to help with that and somehow it turned into a thread about the fan. I think il just upgrade the alternator and hope that works

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Another battery won't change anything. I wouldn't worry about the engine needing to cool after you shut it off as the water pump isn't turning to let the cooled antifreeze from the radiator circulate. IMO it's worthless!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Another battery won't change anything. I wouldn't worry about the engine needing to cool after you shut it off as the water pump isn't turning to let the cooled antifreeze from the radiator circulate. IMO it's worthless!
Thermal siphon. As long as the thermostat is open the temp difference will cause coolant flow. It's how Ford circulates coolant through the turbos on the Ecoboost once the engine is turned off.

A larger alternator won't help either. Try it for a while, if it kills the battery get one with a higher amp hour and reserve capacity.

d.GATOR.b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Thermal siphon. As long as the thermostat is open the temp difference will cause coolant flow. It's how Ford circulates coolant through the turbos on the Ecoboost once the engine is turned off.

A larger alternator won't help either. Try it for a while, if it kills the battery get one with a higher amp hour and reserve capacity.
Thanks for the input il do that

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

If the engine needs extra cooling after it has been shut down cause it was running hot then there are other problems with the engine itself. Addressing that or those problems first should be where to start.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the worry of wiring it this way was unnecessary, as it will only run for a minute or so if the sensor/controller is still reading the active temp range upon engine shut down.

i suggest to keep around 190 degrees or so. fan will run too much otherwise. ofcourse that depends on your sensor controller combination i suppose as to what you set it at.

but i also suggest to have the power relay/s on the key along with a battery saver/autocut so the temp sensor cant turn on the fan if it fails or the sun is just right and cooking it or some silly shit like that.

because i have had dead batteries from that before....and leaving the key on or door open etc etc.

caerickson28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I hardwired mine to my battery and to a toggle switch that i installed on the switch board. i have NEVER had a battery problem and my battery is 3 years old!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals