• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR valve placement

Beastly88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Can anyone please explain to me where the damn egr valve is .. did ford hide it under something im lost...or am i overlooking something...?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone please explain to me where the damn egr valve is .. did ford hide it under something im lost...or am i overlooking something...?
standing in front of the truck...just right of the throttle body.

double check the tube that comes up from the exhaust manifold

rangergt89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
your ranger is 88 it does not have a EGR valve, the 88-92 2.9 did not have them

Beastly88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
same as rangermilitia's problem .... a ford garage told me to disconnect the egr now im not sure on the year of the engine all i know is that its not the original.. its an 1988 truck and the tranny is from an 87..

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
same as rangermilitia's problem .... a ford garage told me to disconnect the egr now im not sure on the year of the engine all i know is that its not the original.. its an 1988 truck and the tranny is from an 87..
pretty hard to unplug something that isn't there...if that be your case.
call the ford garage back and just mention that you have a 88' ranger...and that isn't that one of the years that there wasn't a egr put on. phrase as a question.....and see what kind of results/ replays you get back.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/50tb29intake.htm

check out the link...there is a series of photos...I understand that you're not doing the throttle body (TB) conversion...but look at the last photo before the drawing...the black plastic cover over the throttle linkage/body...there is a smaller black vacuum tube that goes down under this plastic cover...it plugs into the EGR, just below the plastic cover and you can kinda see it peeking out a bit. yes they sawed some of it away for clearance of the (updated throttle body), look at the photo above with K&N sticker on same plastic cover...note the difference...not the TB...but the size of cover

this where (if you have a EGR valve), should be. if you don't have the EGR valve there will be a plate blocking off where it would mount to the upper intake just below and behind where the TB bolts up to the upper intake.

Beastly88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Thank you now i feel like a moron.. lol and i told the ford garage it was an 88'.... oo and i went to have the codes " if any" pulled todaay and nothing soo im thinkin its internal ... it will run fine for the first 5- 10mins of driving and then it starts ticking louder and louder and the ranger loses power .. falls on its face.. and the tone of the exhaust completely changes

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you now i feel like a moron.. lol and i told the ford garage it was an 88'.... oo and i went to have the codes " if any" pulled todaay and nothing soo im thinkin its internal ... it will run fine for the first 5- 10mins of driving and then it starts ticking louder and louder and the ranger loses power .. falls on its face.. and the tone of the exhaust completely changes

not my goal to make you feel like a moron:sad:

what parts have you replaced recently??

could be several things, a host of sensors, fuel distribution issue, to just a plain tired engine.

Just curious....if you had ever had the valve covers off or the heads??
wondering if the you have a bunch of sludge build up on the top side and not letting oil return to the pan??

what kind of oil filter you running? filter may have collapsed internally and restricted flow :shok: fram filters have been known to do this

do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge?? what is your oil pressure?

also what is the condition of your catalytic converter?? muffler?

Beastly88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
ok sorry i meant i am one not the you made me sound like one sorry for the confusion. and i have replaced the temp sensor for the comp. the o2 sensor, cut off the secondary cat and bought a new glasspack, ...... no i have not had my covers or head off... however i have noticed oil seeping of a bolt i will try to get the best picture i can of this tomora and i do have a fram tough gaurd......but i have thought about strapping a k&n cone to the TB and i do have a functional ram air hood to keep the temps down...

Last edited:

Beastly88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
im not familiar with all the sensors and computer stuff and what they do

rays66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1968, 1968, 198
Make / Model
Ford Ranger X4
Transmission
Manual
Rays 66

I noticed you were talking about an issue I have currently had with my 1989 STX 4X4. I just bought it and the 2.9L had a slight tick. I thought it was just a lifter. I drove it before buying and it ran great. I only drove it about 5 miles at around 45 mph., so it never got heated up.
Of course after buy it I drove it home 40 miles away, on the way it drove fine for the first 10- 15 miles then started loosing power. Dropping cylinders as it went. I only ran about 50- 55 mph and after getting to town and the first stop light, OIL Pressure dropped to nothing and just bounced the kneedle. Missing out and fluttering. About 3 lights later, smoothed out and ran good. No miss, power came back and the oil pressure was in the middle as before.
Went home, Changed oil and filter, started it and the tick was gone.
Drove it around town and ran okay.
Took it back on the Hiway and same as before, power loss etc.
Went home hooked up a oil gauge the next morning when it was cold, 25 psi at idle. NOT good. Ran it down the road, 5 or less psi at idle.
Ended up tearing the motor apart. The guy had bandaded the bottom end with mains, halfa.. and the thust bearing, cam bearings, cam, crank, rod bearings everything junk.
Pulled the motor, am rebuilding it now. New everything, maybe a little over a $1000 in my rebuild! SUCKs, but what can you do! Any comments appreciated. I am new to this forum, so 4X4 1989 help will be appreciated.

Ray

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On an '88 Ranger 2.9?

You can keep looking but it isn't your eyesight, you don't have one.

the 2.9 for 1988-92 doesn't have EGR.

EGR on the 2.9 is '87-88 only

AD

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
AllanD, This was an old thread bumped for similarity of symptoms.

Ray, the consensus around here is that your $ would be much better spent dropping a 4.0 in there instead. Good luck with your rebuild though.

I noticed you were talking about an issue I have currently had with my 1989 STX 4X4. I just bought it and the 2.9L had a slight tick. I thought it was just a lifter. I drove it before buying and it ran great. I only drove it about 5 miles at around 45 mph., so it never got heated up.
Of course after buy it I drove it home 40 miles away, on the way it drove fine for the first 10- 15 miles then started loosing power. Dropping cylinders as it went. I only ran about 50- 55 mph and after getting to town and the first stop light, OIL Pressure dropped to nothing and just bounced the kneedle. Missing out and fluttering. About 3 lights later, smoothed out and ran good. No miss, power came back and the oil pressure was in the middle as before.
Went home, Changed oil and filter, started it and the tick was gone.
Drove it around town and ran okay.
Took it back on the Hiway and same as before, power loss etc.
Went home hooked up a oil gauge the next morning when it was cold, 25 psi at idle. NOT good. Ran it down the road, 5 or less psi at idle.
Ended up tearing the motor apart. The guy had bandaded the bottom end with mains, halfa.. and the thust bearing, cam bearings, cam, crank, rod bearings everything junk.
Pulled the motor, am rebuilding it now. New everything, maybe a little over a $1000 in my rebuild! SUCKs, but what can you do! Any comments appreciated. I am new to this forum, so 4X4 1989 help will be appreciated.

Ray

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I know this thread is really old but I'm having the exact same problem with my two rangers at well i actually have 4 rangers atm two is them are inoperable atm but the other two are doing exactly that, one of them has an egr (the 1986 2.3) ranger but my 89 2.3 ranger does not i believe did anyone find out the solution d to these problems? I'm also getting code31 on them both as well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals