• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC IV programmers

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
This isn't about my Ranger, I'm working on a 57 T Bird with a stout 351 with aftermarket port injection with EEC IV. The Id on the processor is from an 89 Crown but I'm sure the internals are non Ford, there's a square hole cut in the side of the case and a programmer plugged into it. A phone cord plugs into the programmer and connects to a 1 1/2"x2"x3/4" box with a 5 position switch. Last year I found it would run best with the switch in the full counterclockwise position and ran lousy in the middle 3 spots. This year it runs lousy in the middle 3- with the check engine light on- and dies on either end position. I suspect they jump started it backwards this spring because I stopped him from hooking up the cables backwards when I tried to get it running. Neither the programmer or switch box has any identification. The programmer box says Hammond 1551K on the inside, that identifies the empty plastic box. Anyone know of a company that can fix or supply a programmable EEC IV processor? The other choice is rewire the whole mess for the OBD II system they now use. It's a Mass Flo efi system, the man who owned the car died, as did the man who started the build.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If its "aftermarket port injection" see if you can ID that system

Its not using EEC-IV, just using the connector and case, if what you see is correct, like using a Duraspark case for an HEI spark module
An RJ11 or RJ12(phone jack) was used for serial communications to and from computers, so fairly standard wiring to use prior to USB, which dates it prior to mid-2000's I would think
Rotary switch looks to be on a few EFI systems, to change air/fuel maps on the fly
Could be the EFI system is not made anymore, if you know approx. age of the system you may be able to pin it down
Like Google: 2003 stand alone efi systems

In the end I think you will just need to look at getting a new controller for the system

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
It could have been something similar to the Jaybird/Moates QH systems if it had a multi-function switch to switch between tunes. I know the PimpXS system uses a serial cable (similar to a phone jack) for transferring data to/from a laptop..

If you don't mind learning the EFI tuning process, or don't mind paying someone to do it, then a PimpXS system may fit your needs. It does have a limited self-learning capability. If you don't want to do any learning at all, then throw your entire wallet at a Pro-M EFI system and never look back. It will do ALL of the work for you as far as tuning. All of these systems will pretty much need a wideband O2 system installed though.

A more cost effective, and much more simple route, may be to buy a new intake manifold and switch to any number of the throttle body based EFI systems on the market, such as FASTefi, FiTech, Holley Sniper, MSD Atomic, etc..

The guys over at the Mustang Corral forum may be able to identify your system if you post pictures there, but I'm nearly 100% sure that any support for that system is long dead.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Thanks for the replies. The system was built by Mass Flo efi, which has been absorbed by/merged with Pro M Racing. The tech guy, Chris came from Mass Flo and was really helpful but since he doesn't know where the processor and programmer came from, all he could offer was their $2500-$3000 OBD II control system. He said it could probably be installed in a weekend but he's never been under a 57 T Bird dash. A good share of the wiring is from 57 and the insulation is so stiff it cracks when it bends. I'd like to get it straightened out for my friend but I don't want to spend another week on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals