• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EB 9" vs Explorer 8.8"

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
they werent the most common but they did exist
Ill need positive evidence before I ever believe this. Ive had about 5-6 76-77 BB 9" EB axles in my garage, never seen a 31 spline EB, never seen any where thats even said they existed. I would love for this axle to exist but untill its proven its a fairy tail.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Ill need positive evidence before I ever believe this. Ive had about 5-6 76-77 BB 9" EB axles in my garage, never seen a 31 spline EB, never seen any where thats even said they existed. I would love for this axle to exist but untill its proven its a fairy tail.
A fellow club member here is an EB nut, hes restoring one right now. I asked him about this once and he told me there was never a 31 spline 9" in an EB period. So yea it must be some mythical creature.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, some good arguments goin on here, but none the less, I found out today the 9" is not a N case and has 28spl axles. Exploder rear it is... for now at least.

Are there any differences besides the brakes on the early and late Exploder 31s 8.8s? I not really up to having disc in the rear.

Also how will the 31spl 8.8 factory shafts hold up to a 4.0 in low range with a Detroit and 5.13s on 36"s or 37"s? That seems like alot of power will be put on those shafts.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Ok, some good arguments goin on here, but none the less, I found out today the 9" is not a N case and has 28spl axles. Exploder rear it is... for now at least.

Are there any differences besides the brakes on the early and late Exploder 31s 8.8s? I not really up to having disc in the rear.

Also how will the 31spl 8.8 factory shafts hold up to a 4.0 in low range with a Detroit and 5.13s on 36"s or 37"s? That seems like alot of power will be put on those shafts.
I don't believe there are any width differences or anything between the drum/ disc 31 spline 8.8's.

I've been running mine with a Detroit on 36" bias TSL SX's (heavy heavy tire @ 80lbs a piece unmounted) with a 4.0 and 4.56's for a year or so now without any problems whatsoever. Having that Detroit makes it stronger as the weak point of the 8.8 is the stock carrier. I mostly plain aired down on tight technical trails and in the rocks. I think you'll be just fine. Don't under estimate this axle. :blush:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford 9-Inch

Application: Rear
Type: Semi-floating
Axle Shaft Diameter: 1.19 and 1.33 Inches
Spline count: 28 or 31
Ring Gear Diameter: 9 Inch
Factory ratios: 2.50:1 through 4.56:1
Maximum tire size for stock axle: 37-inch
Strong point: Removable third member allows for easy upgradeability, can upgrade to larger-diameter pinion
Weak point: Difficult to remove third member if an axleshaft breaks, stock pinion-shaft diameter is smallish
Junkyard jewel: They're hard to find, but some Ford ½-ton 4x4 pickups were equipped with an optional nodular-iron 9-inch, which was stronger and offered less chance of bearing-cap failure
Building secrets: Replace the crush sleeve in the pinion bearing with solid spacers and shim kit. This eliminates the movement of the pinion shaft under hard load
Aftermarket alternatives: Currie Enterprises, Custom Differentials, DTS Custom Service, National Drivetrain Inc., Randy's Ring & Pinion
Notes: be careful when hunting for a 9-inch in junkyards because they are cosmetically similar to the weak (and expensive) Ford 8-inch axle. Also beware of the 9 3/8-inch axles in Lincoln cars because they also look similar but take a different axle length on one side due to their slightly offset housing.
I don't much about 9" axles, but was browsing this article in our tech library for an unrelated issue and noticed this.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axleguide.html

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are a lot of mistakes n the Tech Library

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't much about 9" axles, but was browsing this article in our tech library for an unrelated issue and noticed this.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axleguide.html
No mention that's specifically about an EB axle. F-150s had 31 spline 9s.
As old as EBs are now, unless you're an original owner of one, there's no way to know any 31 spline shafts found in one are stock. I've also never seen anything reliable documenting they were ever used.

On the 8.8, I've seen a couple failures of DRIVESHAFT flanges (the part the u-joint is pressed into), but never an axle flange. Even those seem to be quite rare though (mine has a ton of scars on it too).

I do believe you can get an actual yoke for the 8.8 though if it worries you.

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
being a fullsize bronco guy. our biggest complaint about the 8.8 is if you snap an axle the tire falls out. with a 9" you dont have this problem and can limp back if necessary. now this might be a more common problem with our rigs since they weight 3tons + and with that 36's tend to be max size.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
being a fullsize bronco guy. our biggest complaint about the 8.8 is if you snap an axle the tire falls out. with a 9" you dont have this problem and can limp back if necessary. now this might be a more common problem with our rigs since they weight 3tons + and with that 36's tend to be max size.
weight and engine power effect axles durability. there are a large number of toyota guys who run stock axles on 2k buggies with 40s. if a wheel is spinning madly trying to climb a obstacle and has 650lbs slam down on it, it could break, if you slam 1250 lbs down on the axle the chances are much higher.

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i chose the 9" for the simple reason i didn't want c-clips, the aftermarket parts that are available for it...

and i split my 8.8 carrier in half.

Last edited:

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I chose to use a EB 9" for my build. But My axle is not in any form stock. The only thing EB about it is the width. Custom Currie housing built to EB width, so I could use off the shelf 31 spline shafts and a Fullsize 9" third with 31 spline spool.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I don't know why you wouldn't want disk brakes, but they're what helps to make up for C clips in an 8.8 as they'll keep an axle from falling out. Instead it'll just ride against the caliper and stay in the housing. I run 35" Krawlers (heavier then 39.5" TSLs!!!!) with a 4.0L/4.56's and a detroit and haven't had an issue yet. And my truck weighs in at 5k lbs, and I'm usually the one that ends up towing the trailers.....

-andrew

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know why you wouldn't want disk brakes, but they're what helps to make up for C clips in an 8.8 as they'll keep an axle from falling out. Instead it'll just ride against the caliper and stay in the housing. I run 35" Krawlers (heavier then 39.5" TSLs!!!!) with a 4.0L/4.56's and a detroit and haven't had an issue yet. And my truck weighs in at 5k lbs, and I'm usually the one that ends up towing the trailers.....

-andrew
Or you could go with a 9" and convert to disks and not have to ever worry about the cclips

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or you could go with a 9" and convert to disks and not have to ever worry about the cclips
Just how you are going to get the shaft remnants out if you do happen to break one...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals