• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E 85

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
has anyone here thought about switching their turbo 2.3 to E 85 i been contemplating it with the new motor build but dont exactly know how to go about it any info will be great

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I run mine on e-85. It's great. You need a 255 lph fuel pump. Use an in tank pump from a mustang and delete the in-line pump. e85 needs about 30% more flow, so in the tune, most just keep all the parameter the same as a gasoline tune, but you input the injector size as 30% smaller. For 80 lb injectors, you would put 53 lbs as the injector size. Ignition timing is generally advanced abour 5* over stock.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ethanol contains less "stored energy" than gasoline. Why do you want to run it? Is the infrastructure for Ethanol very strong in your area? I ask because despite the lower price of high ethanol fuels, you will likely spend more total due to reduced mileage.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I run it because it is a VERY cheap 105 octane fuel.

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ive just seen the gains in the long run equal more potential out of E 85 like davis said very cheap 105 and gas milage im not worried about you can tune your gas milage on your rite foot and Davis im interested in more of how to go about with spark plug selection how much it lowers EGTs the 91 doesnt have a tuner on it yet so if its more in the good than running 93 thats 280 a gal in this shit hole town im in in indiana im gonna do it i believe ill try with the motor thats in it now for bug working out reasons

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I run the same spark plugs as on gas. Just regular old motorcrafts. I think they are the 764. Maybe that's the Autolite number, I can't remember if they are different.

I don't know on the EGTS, I've never had a probe in the manifold.

I wouldn't recommend running e85 without a tuner unless you've got a set of injectors 30% larger than stock kicking around. For a computer that came stock with 35s, that would be 46 lb/hr injectors.

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wat if i got a set of 72s and the stock ranger ecu but areomotive takes care of the pressure with boost reference and i know i need a tune cause the stock ecm... just a 90mm mass air and the pressure regulator and 19#s is wat i got now on 18 psi is wat i got rite now i know its not the best setup but it dont lean out, black smoke which is killing my power

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Whoa, I'm not following you at all. Break it down into normal sentences.

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok i got a set of 72 # injectors... im running the factory ranger mass air computer.... How im tuning now is with fuel pressure and mass air housing... so im in the process of trying to get sct tuning... Im running an areomotive regulator with boost reference... I also run autolite and motorcraft plugs... i have a 255 fuel pump... now do i have to start out with 50/50 regular gas and E 85 or can i just start with an empty tank and run E 85

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, that's a rough way of tuning at best, especially if you have no wideband. I'd be willing to bet that you are often running in the 10:1 AFR range. You NEED a wideband O2 sensor.

If I read correctly, you have your base fuel pressure at 19 lbs? That's going to make for a HORRIBLE spray pattern and tons of un-atomized (read unburned) fuel.

It's hard for me to say what you should do because with some random MAF and huge injectors thrown on the motor, anything could happen. I can tell you this though, you are going to want to get some real management on there ASAP. Engine management is the ABSOLUTE #1 MOST IMPORTANT part of a high performance build, and because tuners are expensive and most don't understand engine management, most convince themselves that it's not that important.

It looks like you made a wild shot in the dark and hit a solution that doesn't grenade the engine, but i'll bet it's washing down the cylinder walls, putting soot on everything and if you have a cat, it'll be dead soon.

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have no cat ... Im running 19 pound injectors out of a 4.6.... and im running 42 pounds of fuel pressure.. this truck was my daily normally but not since i bought my 10 dollar tempo... the motor that is in it barely has 200 miles on it had it running 3 days then moved to wyoming i know how important the management is thats why i have not been driving it it just arrived to me in indiana last month when i figured out the wiring harness burt in 2 so it will not be out until all the bugs get worked out but i do appreciate you input.. i am planning now on getting the multi-program eliminator switch chip from SCT and i know where to get a wideband so that will be taken care of as it was in my plans anyway...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals