• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duratec with an Extended cab

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How many guys here have a Duratec with an extended cab? My dad is thinking of getting another truck (something that gets good gas mileage, he drives a Chevy 2500HD now, wants a small truck for going to work and parts runs and such), and he's been looking at Rangers. He'd like an extended cab, but isn't sure how the gas mileage is with the extra weight and 4.10 gears. He's looking to probably get a stick with it.

So pretty much, what kind of mileage are you guys with extended cabs and Duratec's getting? With my regular cab I get between 25 and 30 usually (got 23 on my last tank and it was noticeable worse than what I usually get, drive like an ass and you get bad mileage, who'da thunkit).

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't have the Duratec, but I have a 1995 Ranger Extended Cab with the dual plug head 2.3L and usually get around 20 mpg city.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I spent close to a year browsing Rangers and Mazda trucks. In that time I've seen a total on one 2.3L with an extended cab. I took it for a test drive. The weight is noticeable on acceleration. I don't think it would impact fuel economy much. I ended up buying a standard cab with a 5spd. I plan to put a camper shell on it. The camper shells probably weight a little less than the extra weight of an extended cab.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is Citoriplus's truck an extended cab with a Duratec?

Citoriplus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratech
Transmission
Manual
Is Citoriplus's truck an extended cab with a Duratec?
Sure is, its an 07 STX, Ex-Cab, 2.3L with a 5 speed, and I love the little beast. Got over 25K on it since I picked it up at the end of Febuary.
It also has 4.10 gears, common on Ex-Cabs I'm told, but still gets a hair over 28mpg on the highway (where it spends most of its life). My last truck was an 01 XL Std-Cab 2.5L w/5 speed and 3.73 gears, on a really good day get just around 25mpg. But it was starting to go downhill, 20/22mpg or so, near the end. I guess asking it to get great mileage once it went over 300K was a bit too much to expect.
The old truck had a full size cap on it and I'm sure that helped some. The new one has a fiberglass toneau cover, and it definatly does make a 1 to 2mpg difference, especially when running at 75mph all the time.
If your dad is looking for a decent little truck that will get reasonable mileage, the Ranger w/2.3L and 5 speed is hard to beat. But if he's going to be loading it up with junk all the time I think you would be better off with a bigger engine. The 3.0L is a waste of time in my opinion, get the 4.0L instead. It has much better numbers for next to no cost, in fuel economy. The best part is that it probably won't suffer as much (mpg's) from the added weight of loading it up all the time. A 2.3L will suffer, performance & mpg wise, from adding a lot of weight to it all the time. In that case I might be tempted to suggest looking at an F-150. With a 4.6L V8 it will carry a ton of weight in back while getting nearly the same kind of mileage as the big (4.0L w/auto) engined Rangers.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
He wouldn't be loading his up really, he has his Chev for that. What he'd like is just a little truck to go back and forth to work, maybe go pick up some parts from the store (nothing too heavy that would load it down), and when he has to run places.

Are there any good rebates going on now for the Rangers or Mazda's? They list a $1000 rebate on Fords website, anything else that you guys know of or that's coming up?

Also do you guys think he'd be able to get a better deal if he went with an 07? Or was somehow able to find a leftover 06?

Last edited:

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
FWIW

I have an 07 Extended Cab automatic 2.3 in the garage with 4.10's and now that its cold out I am getting about 21mpg. In the summer I was getting 23-24mpg. I am disappointed in it honestly.

I drive at one speed, 75mph, on cruise control, for 32 miles each way everyday to work.

A question to you all. What if I put in some 3.73 gears? It runs almost 3,000 RPM at 75mph. I figure I could knock it down significantly but would I burn more gas getting the truck to up to speed with the taller gears?

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FWIW

I have an 07 Extended Cab automatic 2.3 in the garage with 4.10's and now that its cold out I am getting about 21mpg. In the summer I was getting 23-24mpg. I am disappointed in it honestly.
What fuel are you burning? Ethanol will cost you some mileage if that's what you're using.

T.

2004b2300dude

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
honestly i dont think youll notice any difference between the ext cab 4.10 and the reg cab 3.73 4 cyl, maybe 1mpg on the highway max

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What fuel are you burning? Ethanol will cost you some mileage if that's what you're using.

T.
We get a heaping helping of ethanol whether we like it or not when the cold weather hits Minnesota.

Engine7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I got one too!

I just bought a mazda with the 2.3 and ext. cab w/ 5 speed. It gets close to 27mpg around town. It is a little bit slower off the line then the nissan regular cab it replaced.

ttop50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2007 extended cab with 4.10s, Im getting 27-29 MPG highway.
2.3 with a 5 speed.

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2007 extended cab with 4.10s, Im getting 27-29 MPG highway.
2.3 with a 5 speed.
How fast are you averaging?

tylerh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
He wouldn't be loading his up really, he has his Chev for that. What he'd like is just a little truck to go back and forth to work, maybe go pick up some parts from the store (nothing too heavy that would load it down), and when he has to run places.

Are there any good rebates going on now for the Rangers or Mazda's? They list a $1000 rebate on Fords website, anything else that you guys know of or that's coming up?

Also do you guys think he'd be able to get a better deal if he went with an 07? Or was somehow able to find a leftover 06?
the problem with buying out of production year is the interest rate. They always jack it up when you finance but if it is cash then go for it. Right now in canada ford has $1000 off for the 4cyl free ship and freight and 0% financing for 60 months. I was gonna buy another one when i saw this but wife said no

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals