• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DURATEC V6 30

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just wondered if anyone installed the 3.0L DURATEC 30 in a Ranger? Seems like it ought to fit since the Taurus and Sable came with either the DURATEC or Vulcan 3.0L engines.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Not that I know of.

Get after it!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Just wondered if anyone installed the 3.0L DURATEC 30 in a Ranger? Seems like it ought to fit since the Taurus and Sable came with either the DURATEC or Vulcan 3.0L engines.
iirc , it has been discussed here, but never executed. You would need a manual trans from a lincoln LS V6. As that is the only rwd trans that will bolt to that motor. Basically needs a manual shift lincoln v6 ls as a donor.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never seen it done, but it's been discussed many times.
The trans bellhousing bolt pattern is different than any Ranger trans. A 3.0 Duratec bolt pattern does not = a 3.0 Vulcan bolt pattern
In general, DOHC V engines don't fit well in Rangers because they're so wide. You run into clearance issues with the HVAC plenum on the passenger side, and steering shaft on the driver's side. Most DOHC swap attempts that I've seen have eliminated the heat and AC, and have custom steering shafts and exhaust headers for the driver's side.
The internet tells me that the Duratec V6 is about 26.5" wide, which is about an inch wider than a 4.6 SOHC, and half an inch wider than a 460 big block. So you could look for 4.6 SOHC or 460 swaps to get an idea of what might be involved in making a Duratec 3.0 fit into a Ranger engine bay. It's 1.5" narrower than a Coyote, and 3.5" narrower than a 4.6 DOHC though, and both of those have been swapped into Rangers.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It's a great engine if you can fit it in there. I bought a new Taurus with a duratech in 99 that would shift 1-2 at WOT at 6000 rpm's without breathing hard. I gave it to my daughter at 46,000 miles, she ran it to 195,000 miles and bought a new Flex so I sold it to one of my techs and he ran it 2 more years and traded it for a Mustang. The valve covers never came off.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Seems to me it would be the same amount of work to put a 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost in it. :dunno:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Highly impressive build using a 2.5 duratec in a Ford Sierra platform

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Seems to me it would be the same amount of work to put a 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost in it. :dunno:
but those EB motors don't last long at the JY. I've watched several Lincoln LS's rot away at my JY. NONE have had a Manual tranny tho. Right now they have a V8 LS, almost untouched.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This *has* been discussed before, and I posted information at that time showing that both engines were mated to both transaxles available for the Taurus. I even posted links to information backing up my claim. I've asked over on a Taurus forum that I belong to how Ford managed to do the impossible, so I'll post back when I get an answer.

I still think that if both engines can mate to the same transaxle in the Taurus, there has to be a way to swap the Duratec into a Ranger that currently has the Vulcan engine.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The Duratech and the Vulcan transaxles have different cases with different bell housing patterns, it's just the internals that are common. The 6F60 is used by GM, too, with common internals in different cases. Anything can be done if you're clever enough and willing to spend what it takes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
After some of my recent experiences with the 2.7 I will be advising everyone I know to stay FAR FAR FAR away from them.

Like, don't even buy an F-150 in case the 3.5 or 5.0 that was in there when you looked at it the first time accidentally turns into a 2.7. We can't seem to keep oil pans in them. I've seen reports of misformed or damaged block stiffeners leading to whole engine replacement for oil pan leaks. They have a non-reusable oil pan too. The goons at the factory can't seem to get the oil pan to seal properly in near-laboratory conditions, but somehow Ford expects us to be able to get it right in the field with oil still dripping out 12 hours later.

I have one that if it comes back again with the oil pan leaking I'm going to take the engine out, put it on a stand, and turn it upside down to put this pan on. I know it will take all week, and the job only pays 4 hours, but that would be round three with that truck, and I won't have a round four.

Boss5096

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Not that I know of.

Get after it!
I am not actually new here, I had joined The Ranger Station along time ago but through moves lost the login info so like some others that are wondering and looking for a yes or no to this quetion, Will The 3.0 DURATEC bolt upto the Ranger 3.0 VULCAN transmission???

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am not actually new here, I had joined The Ranger Station along time ago but through moves lost the login info so like some others that are wondering and looking for a yes or no to this quetion, Will The 3.0 DURATEC bolt upto the Ranger 3.0 VULCAN transmission???
The short answer is that it depends on who you ask. The collective opinion here is NO. It's not possible. HOWEVER, Ford did it in the Taurus. In the Taurus, during the years that the Duratec was offered, there were two different transaxles. The AX4N is the transaxle that is usually bolted up to the Vulcan. The AX4S is usually bolted to the Duratec. HOWEVER, the AX4S can also be had with a Vulcan engine.

I asked this question on a Taurus forum that knows their stuff, and even there there seems to be conflicting information. One poster said "no, the bolt pattern is different on the two engines", and that was that. Another poster suggests that the bell housing on the AX4S and AX4N seems to be the same, so it bolts up. So, the collective opinion over there is "Ford did it, but we can't seem to agree on how".

There was a thread here a while back, somebody talking about making adapter plates so that a VW engine could be dropped into a Ranger. Here it is: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/tdi-conversion-kit-for-ranger-want-one.156289/. Another thread here says that one of the Ranger transmissions has a removable bell housing, so to mount it to an engine other than the one that it was meant for, you use the bell housing intended for that engine/transmission combo.

My answer: Yes, it can be done. But, it will require some custom work. Actually, probably A LOT of custom work. Frankly, as I said above, if Ford used the same transaxle with two entirely different engines in the Taurus, I don't see why it couldn't work.

For the record, here are the answers I got on that other forum: https://www.taurusclub.com/threads/question-from-another-forum.351852/#post-3469975

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
For Ford it's not that big a deal to cast the housing or adapter to mate to a different engine with a different mounting pattern. For the rest of us that could be a bit of a project.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals