• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark complete, truck dies after a few minutes

frankp05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Kim this is getting ridiculous!! Haha my TFI coil is wired up correct with the Positive side of the coil running to hot when on and the Negative side is wired to the green on the module but even with the key just turned to the on position just sitting there Without Cranking the motor, my coil wether it be the TFI or Canister just get really hot and there is no spark on crank. So I got a ballast resistor wired up and it the resistor gets really hot keeps the coil from getting hot like it should. Going back to the spark issue it seems to work better with the resistor wired in line but its not very consistant. I havent tried making it start and run because I know im just gonna beat my head because it wont start. Ive wired it up two different ways first exactly like the TRS Tech Article expalins then like this https://www.google.com/search?q=duraspark+2&biw=1600&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI-NTwsfH6yAIVQhk-Ch04Mgcm#imgrc=DAlszNN0OJCKIM: ....

It seems to spark better with the resistor and it keeps the coil from getting hot. I just want to make sure im not gonna fry the Ign. Box or coil.

Last edited:

jaredm_k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi Frank - Yes i believe I cut that wire after the connector and ran to coil. I would have to double check.

Quick update on my bronco. I pulled the #1 plug and found TDC again, put the light on it and my timing was a little off. I got it to 10 degrees and tightened down the distributor. I drove it a couple times just out the road and back. It is running OK. It wants to lay down when i first take off, like it isn't getting enough fuel or something. I have the advance connected, i probably need to make sure it is actually advancing the timing though and there isn't something messed up there. Other than that, I feel like I am a lot closer and just have to continue to tune a little to get it perfect. I appreciate everyones help!

drgrcr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Frank, I had to install a ballast resistor on my 83, it kept burning up the coil and the module. That was 2 years ago.

frankp05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok...so finally I got some work done on the Bronco..left the resistor in, added an electric low pressure fuel pump because the manual stopped working and I didn't feel like replacing it (not a whole lot of room), tried running a 1.21 Venturi carb but it wouldn't idle right and just rev really hard so I slapped the old feedback carb back on it just to run it and presto it lives again but I'm having the same issues as Jared...hardly any power, falls flat when I accelerate, takes long for engine to rev up enough to gain speed to shift, etc... I'm hoping it's just the carb being that I didn't make a metering block for it or anything like that I just installed it so it could idle better so we could listen to the motor because I had some noisy lifters that we adjusted...oh yeah if I forgot to mention I pulled the motor to replace some freeze plugs and while I had it out I changed oil pump intake gaskets valve cover gaskets rod bearing the mains looked ok water pump and I've eliminated the smog stuff ( was pissed when the fuel pump stopped working because it was ok before we yanked the motor but quit after we out it back in hence the extra motivation to just add and elec. pump)...sorry for the rant

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals