• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duplicolor Engine Enamel

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys got a question regarding engine paint, I am sure you have all heard of Dupli-Color with ceramics for engine blocks and such, well I am in Canada and all I can find is the Dupli-Color Acrylic Polymer engine enamel, no mention of ceramics at all on the can anywhere. I contacted Dupli-Color help desk and they were as much help as a light bulb in a power outage. does anyone know why the US product clearly says "With Ceramics" and the Canadian product states "Acrylic Polymer" and please no Canada bashing, that just isn't polite.

Any recommendation regarding other paint that would last would be appreciated, thanks. I have never had good long lasting results with any rattle can paints on motor or exhaust parts, but have seen many that have lasted, trying to do my homework and hope to do this one right the first time around.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
The duplicolor here is like you have Acrylic enamel. I used Rustoleum engine and farm implement paint on mine.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
The duplicolor here is like you have Acrylic enamel. I used Rustoleum engine and farm implement paint on mine.
hmmm interesting that in Canada and Panama it's different from US. Anyone got an explanation, I am sure there must be a paint expert that can shed some light on this.

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
We used that stuff with my friends 4.7L Jeep stroker, Pontiac Blue. Was the closest thing to Jeep blue and he was tired of having dark colored engines. Makes chasing down a leak a real pain in the rear. Scratched/rubbed off real easy. over the course of fitting it into the vehicle it looked like crap. It was really the only stuff the local store had, was name brand, really hoped it'd be better than it was.

On the other hand, after the engine has cycled a few times and heated the paint up and cured it a little maybe it would have been more robust.

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
this is going to sound dumb but see if you can get ceramic brake paint. i used it on my exhaust tip and other then the road salt getting to it it works really well.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
We used that stuff with my friends 4.7L Jeep stroker, Pontiac Blue. Was the closest thing to Jeep blue and he was tired of having dark colored engines. Makes chasing down a leak a real pain in the rear. Scratched/rubbed off real easy. over the course of fitting it into the vehicle it looked like crap. It was really the only stuff the local store had, was name brand, really hoped it'd be better than it was.

On the other hand, after the engine has cycled a few times and heated the paint up and cured it a little maybe it would have been more robust.
Yeah it stays soft until heat cycled and cured, I built a run in stand to chase down leaks and mechanical problems before I drop motor into the engine bay so heat cycling the engine to cure the paint will not be an issue.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
this is going to sound dumb but see if you can get ceramic brake paint. i used it on my exhaust tip and other then the road salt getting to it it works really well.
Hmmm something to think about, but still hoping someone can shed light on Dupli-Color Acrylic Polymer Engine Paint vs Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramics.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
JFL, LOL, :you Cannuck you !!

Tremclad makes some good paint, works great in our climate.

The BIG issue with spray cans is prep-work.

good thing is a REALLY GOOD, de-greasing of the parts to be painted. if using an enamel paint like tremclad, wipe the parts down with rags that have been dipped in solvent,AND rung out, THEN let sit overnight (or goggles and compressed air).

Body shops CLEAN AND TACK-RAG for a reason, it's NOT just for a good shine... it's so the paint sticks.

Greg

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Got to laugh at Dupli-Color's "Help Desk" hahahaha, I sent them a request regarding asking them to explain the different labeling on the American and Canadian spray cans of engine enamel, they couldn't explain it at, all they kept saying is it's the same paint, obviously it isn't or it would be labeled similar noting the presence of "Ceramics" in the product, anyway I described a problem I had with a previous application in 1995 on a 1982 305 stroker I built for my 82 Z28, and their final response was polite but useless, they told me to use some other product if I wasn't satisfied Dupli-Color's performance and that the formulation hasn't changed since then. This is lame for a paint company to say, must be scripted responders that have no paint experience. I highly advise against using this product solely on the lack of support the "Helpless Desk" has provided.

crazypj

Reaction score
Altamonte Springs Fl./Bridgend South Wales
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I think the real reason, they are not allowed to tell lies in Canada and WILL get sued by trade description people
In USA someone would have to get a bunch of people together and start a class action suit
(or maybe I'm just cynical?:icon_confused: )

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
JFL, LOL, :you Cannuck you !!

Tremclad makes some good paint, works great in our climate.

The BIG issue with spray cans is prep-work.

good thing is a REALLY GOOD, de-greasing of the parts to be painted. if using an enamel paint like tremclad, wipe the parts down with rags that have been dipped in solvent,AND rung out, THEN let sit overnight (or goggles and compressed air).

Body shops CLEAN AND TACK-RAG for a reason, it's NOT just for a good shine... it's so the paint sticks.

Greg
Good advice Greg, I always degrease and grind sharp corners before painting, never used a rag and solvent, usually just the spray degreaser and a pressure washer. Will give the solvent a try, any suggestions as to what solvent??

crazypj

Reaction score
Altamonte Springs Fl./Bridgend South Wales
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've always found spray engine cleaners/degreaser leaves an oily film to prevent corrosion
I use concrete cleaner after degreasing block, heads, etc before paint

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
You can use anything on an engine, it doesn't get hot enough to actually burn the paint off. I've always used regular car paint (urathane) with absolutely zero problems. I would suggest a good etching primer and a sealer, but I have seen dozens of engines painted with urethanes with no sealers hold up for years of racing.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can use anything on an engine, it doesn't get hot enough to actually burn the paint off. I've always used regular car paint (urathane) with absolutely zero problems. I would suggest a good etching primer and a sealer, but I have seen dozens of engines painted with engine enamel with no sealers hold up for years of racing.
Manifolds/headers do obviously, the engines themselves do not though.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
I've always found spray engine cleaners/degreaser leaves an oily film to prevent corrosion
I use concrete cleaner after degreasing block, heads, etc before paint
Did not know, that thanks. So process you use is degrease/clean,remove rust and sharp edges then the concentrate cleaner, I assume wash between processes with soapy water then rinse with clear water, allow to dry or air dry, then primer, sealer and paint, does this sound correct???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals